Possible infection after 3 months

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Badspartan

Possible infection after 3 months

Postby Badspartan » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:21 am

Last week after being implanted over 3 months,I noticed the pump was getting a little difficult to locate and use. I have been cycling for a while 2-3 times a day and no problem. There appears to be a “sac of fluid” around the pump and it’s painful to try to cycle. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he doesn’t think it’s infection, but put me on 21 days of Bactrim. I’m starting to have a bit more pain around the pump and up to the reservoir. Surgeon will see me again in 3 weeks. Anyone else have an experience like this?
67 years old. ED 10 yrs. Insulin dependent diabetes HBP heart disease. Implanted 11/30/22 AMS CX 18 cm 3 cm rte

Bwtbbb

Re: Possible infection after 3 months

Postby Bwtbbb » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:47 am

If every component of the implant feels painful then I can't imagine the issue being anything but an infection. Hopefully the antibiotics clear it up.

Walther

Postby Walther » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:20 am

Why would you think it's an infection, especially after your surgeon doesn't think so?
What I understand chances should be really low after that long period.

What kind of pain is it? Like a burning pain?
And out of interest, how can you even get an infection after the wounds have healed? I never quite understood that and would be thankful if someone cared to explain.

All the best!
30 years old, Implanted 27th January 2023 by Dr Osmonov, Germany
Titan 22cm, no RTE

Badspartan

Postby Badspartan » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:31 am

Walther wrote:Why would you think it's an infection, especially after your surgeon doesn't think so?

And out of interest, how can you even get an infection after the wounds have healed? I never quite understood that and would be thankful if someone cared to explain.

All the best!

From what I read, an infection can occur anytime up to 7 months and beyond. The pain in the pump is like a bad sunburn and it’s really painful to squeeze. I can only get about 3 pumps in before it’s too painful me and infections are quite familiar with each other. UTI’s, bone infection, loss of a limb. It’s unnerving to go from no pain even from surgery and having a pump that was so easy to grab to having to chase and identify it now
67 years old. ED 10 yrs. Insulin dependent diabetes HBP heart disease. Implanted 11/30/22 AMS CX 18 cm 3 cm rte

jimmi85

Postby jimmi85 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:57 am

Walther wrote:Why would you think it's an infection, especially after your surgeon doesn't think so?

All the best!

An infection can appear at any point after the initial implant operation, sometimes years afterwards although they become rarer as time goes on and after 1 year the chance of infection is greatly reduced and stays at this level.

OP - if your surgeon doesn’t think it’s an infection the. Try not to worry, take the antibiotics and keep a close eye on it. If you see visible puss or it swells up get back in touch with your surgeon
Implanted by Mike Fraser in feb 2022 due to a 80 degree dorsal curvature. 18cm Titan - way undersized. 8’ pre Peyronies, 6’ pre implant - currently 6’.

Rider1400

Postby Rider1400 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:28 pm

Everything I’ve read states that most infections occurs from surgery when contact is made with something outside the body. Very possibly if you get an infection 4-6-8 months out, you probably had the bacteria in there since surgery and your immune system has been fighting it since the surgery and winning the battle up til now. Just my 2cents worth of highly opinionated guess.
58year old ED started mid 40s pills failed after 10 years. Injections works but diminishing results with pain. Implanted 5-22 Baylor,Scott,and White Dallas.Dr Michael Wierschem, infrapubic Coloplast 20cm and 1cm RTE. Going strong and loving it!

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:58 pm

All the best!

If you do some research you will find that infection can happen at any time post op. It is always a risk. Information shows the risk will decline over the first year but the risk never goes down to zero. After one year you have the same very low rate of infection for the rest of the time you have that IPP. There was even a member posting on this site not all that long ago who developed infection years after surgery. A break in the skin, an injury with bruising, anything that breaks the bio film that surrounds all the device can all be a cause of infection. And I am sure there are others. There have also been members on this site that have had doctors blow off symptoms of infection. And had worse results because of late treatment.

Rule of thumb is the earlier infection is caught the better. There have even been cases where it was resolved with oral meds. But if let go the device must be removed and nothing can be placed to help reduce size loss. Then 6 months later when another attempt is made there is scar tissue and significant size loss. Everyone need to be aware of the risk of infection as long as you have an IPP. At the first sign to check your tempter and it is really best to get in and have your blood white count checked.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Return to “Implants”