AMS pump issues.

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
markwal6

AMS pump issues.

Postby markwal6 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:56 am

Had the Ams cx 24cm with 2 2cm rear tip extenders put in about 7 months ago. Can't do Perito exercises because it will cause pressure and it starts to leak. Same with sex..it will start to deflate sometimes then u have to stop and start to squeeze the bulb and it just makes a swirling sound and start to completely empty. Then, you have to hit the button which is still in the locked-out position to reinflate. My urologist said with the bigger model the leverage is what's causing this pressure. Ok, good news is he said Ams is coming out with a new pump that will prevent this and to come see him in a yr and hell put in the new pump. As far as the cx is concerned im rt back at 7 or a little longer and g is 5.5/8 to 5 7/8s. There were some issues but I'm in the 90% plus category in id do it again in a second. Oh, the Ved doesn't seem to help much?
Implanted June 2022..Ams cx 24cm 2 rt EX

KeithC

Re: AMS pump issues.

Postby KeithC » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:54 pm

Yikes, that's not what I want to hear.

I also have an AMS 700cx 24cm. I have not had the issues you are having. Yet anyway. I have had mine 15 weeks now.
When did your issues start? Right off the bat or?

Just curious how they replace the pump? Do they just replace that one part or do they take the whole implant out and start new?

markwal6

Postby markwal6 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:20 pm

Hey Bud, he said hes just going to replace the pump itself. I noticed it at about 10 weeks out when i tried to do those exercises they all talk about. When i started telling him my problem he started finishing my sentence. He knew exactly what i was talking about. Hes a high volume guy and dang good at it from what I've seen. He didn't put in originally. Yor probably fine..Lucky Me! :roll:

KeithC

Postby KeithC » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:39 pm

So you think doing the Perito exercises maybe messed up the implant pump?

You said the doctor finished your sentence. Do you mean the implant failing is common or that those exercises cause issues?

markwal6

Postby markwal6 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:57 pm

Yes, when it's pumped up to the max and u try and bend it or just get to going at it hard with it it will start to deflate a little, but the buttons not been pushed. He said with the larger size it can't take the back pressure. I've never seen anyone else with that problem on here, but it must be possible if Boston scientific is redoing the pump. At this point i just stop and hit the deflate button and reactivate it again with more pumps. He said i can replace it now or choose to wait. It still works so might as well wait.

Stewy78

Postby Stewy78 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:21 pm

markwal6 wrote:Had the Ams cx 24cm with 2 2cm rear tip extenders put in about 7 months ago. Can't do Perito exercises because it will cause pressure and it starts to leak. Same with sex..it will start to deflate sometimes then u have to stop and start to squeeze the bulb and it just makes a swirling sound and start to completely empty. Then, you have to hit the button which is still in the locked-out position to reinflate. My urologist said with the bigger model the leverage is what's causing this pressure. Ok, good news is he said Ams is coming out with a new pump that will prevent this and to come see him in a yr and hell put in the new pump. As far as the cx is concerned im rt back at 7 or a little longer and g is 5.5/8 to 5 7/8s. There were some issues but I'm in the 90% plus category in id do it again in a second. Oh, the Ved doesn't seem to help much?

I had the same issues with ams CX. I was able to have sex with less than a couple of minutes and I had to reinflate again and again. My surgeon did a revision replacing the pump and same issue again. I had another revision and I switched to titan and no issues. Both ams pumps were affected by a recall. You can check that on ams website with your pump serial number
32yo, VL from birth. Implanted in 2020 with AMS CX by Gabriele Antonini. Pump stopped working after three months,replaced with new pump that stopped working again. Complete revision Titan Touch 24+1 implanted by Dr.Eid. Titan failed in October 2023.

KeithC

Postby KeithC » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:46 pm

I’m hoping the AMS 700 cx I had installed in October 2022 isn’t a defective one.

My question to you guys that need another surgery to replace a defective part is who pays for that?
Are insurance companies willing to foot the bill?

In my case Medicare paid all but $200 of my implant. I’m wondering if Blue Cross would just roll over and pay for another surgery so soon.

markwal6

Postby markwal6 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:30 pm

I assume they will..i had a reservoir repositioned and it was covered.

markwal6

Postby markwal6 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:31 pm

Hey Steve, Do you like the titan better? And did you gain or lose with it? thx

Jage64

Postby Jage64 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:49 pm

KeithC wrote:I’m hoping the AMS 700 cx I had installed in October 2022 isn’t a defective one.

The only recall I can find on AMS pumps was in late 2020. To ease your mind, I'm sure that by 2022 the defective pumps had all been returned by the doctors and replaced with pumps without the defect. BS claims less than 2% were affected, and failed on initial inflation. I'm sure BS is going to make the recall sound as benign as possible, so this could be the issue the original poster had too, which is why the doctor was familiar with the issue.

I'm scheduled to be implanted with an AMS in a few weeks, so I have an interest in this too!

Here's the statement from BS (the date is in the URL, not on the letter itself, September 2020):
http://www.hpra.ie/docs/default-source/ ... e%20device.
2/22/23 AMS 700 CX 21cm + 1.5cm RTEs. 58 yrs old, wife of 37 yrs. Penoscrotal. 100ml Conceal reservoir. Dr. Clavell. Pills failing and went right to implant, skipped the injections. 12 mos. later: 7 1/2" x 5 3/4"

Return to “Implants”