Revision Gone Sideways

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
woodturner

Revision Gone Sideways

Postby woodturner » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:53 pm

On Dec 15, 2022 I had a new Titan installed to replace the old one that had failed. Initially everything looked good. I had even picked up a tiny bit of additional length.
At two weeks I started cycling and it was going well. About that same time frame I all of a sudden had no energy at all.
To make a long story short, the surgical wound opened up a lot of clear fluid came out of my scrotum.

Went to the ER it was on a Saturday and they put a sterile packing in it which I changed 2 more times myself. Tuesday morning (1/10/2023) I was in the OR and when I woke up they said the infection was too widespread to put in a new Titan, so they installed a malleable and in about 6 months we will try this again. I was warned of all options prior to surgery.

What I didn't know was revision Inflatable Implants have a higher incidence of infections than a first implant.Evidently the Malleable implants have less problem with it. Right now I am not ready to vent on the surgeon. These things happen.

They did tell me some men end up keeping the malleable. Right now I don't want to. Will it do the job? Yes, I can tell that now. However, I want to be able to deflate the thing when I'm not using it.

I do think this next time I am going to push REAL HARD to get pre-treated with some antibiotics.

I thought some of you might find this of some interest. So in less than a months time I have had 3 different penile implants in me. I wonder if Guinness Book of World Records has a category for penile implants?
Total ED since a 6/2010 RPA. Pills and injections didn't work. 2nd revision with a Coloplast Titan (24CM w & 2CM RTEs)on 12/15/2022. 68 years old

principles

Re: Revision Gone Sideways

Postby principles » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:15 pm

Similar situation.
Broken Titan > Revision > Got infected > Been 3 weeks at the hospital trying a bunch of IV antibiotics to save the implant.

I wouldn't go through this path again and would opt to go straight up to a malleable salvage, like you did. All my symptoms improved (I got here with ALOT of pain in the shaft) except the incision is still discharging a purulent slime. Either it's a very unusual bacteria or it's simply encapsulated in biofilm, in which case the antibiotics wouldn't have helped much.

Chances of an infection going through a revision are much higher than what is commonly portrayed here. For revisions, It's anywhere from 10 to 20%, according to several publications. It really pays to go up to a high volume surgeon for your revision, their infection rates are usually half of that but I'm very skeptical of 1-2% infection claims even from the most prestigious doctors.
Healthy 31y
08/2020 Titan 22+3. Post op was rough. Best sex of my life. Tubing failed after 26 months.
11/2022 Titan 24+2. Infected from Revision.
01/2023 Tactra 23 13mm. Salvage.
08/2023 Titan 20+3. Infected (3 weeks in)
08/2023 Scheduled Tactra Salvage.

principles

Postby principles » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:39 pm

What length of a malleable did you get?
Healthy 31y
08/2020 Titan 22+3. Post op was rough. Best sex of my life. Tubing failed after 26 months.
11/2022 Titan 24+2. Infected from Revision.
01/2023 Tactra 23 13mm. Salvage.
08/2023 Titan 20+3. Infected (3 weeks in)
08/2023 Scheduled Tactra Salvage.

woodturner

Postby woodturner » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:52 pm

A bit of clarification to my original post.
The surgeon I went to is a high volume surgeon and he has participated in several studies and co-authored papers about implants and infection.
When an infection occurs it is their standard procedure to remove the inflatable and replace it with a malleable for 6 months. After 6 months you can keep it or try again.

I do not know what size the malleable is that they put in me. But I am about 1/4 inch shorter than before. I am assuming I will get it back in about 6 months If I try for an IPP again. Since I am a bit on the larger side I can afford the 1/4 inch.
Total ED since a 6/2010 RPA. Pills and injections didn't work. 2nd revision with a Coloplast Titan (24CM w & 2CM RTEs)on 12/15/2022. 68 years old

aussiePeyronies

Postby aussiePeyronies » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:59 pm

My surgeon starts anti-biotic treatment the day before surgery, do other surgeons not do this?

Sorry to hear about your situation, it must be very frustrating man. Hope in 6 months, everything is back and you can proceed with the titan.
34 Years Old...Peyronies for 4 years. 20 Degree left and upwards curvature, major dents and narrowing, ED.

Implant + Tunica Expansion Procedure, 7th Feb 2023, Titan 22cm + 1cm RTE

Return to “Implants”