Insurance Required Wait Times for IPP

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Julios

Insurance Required Wait Times for IPP

Postby Julios » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

My insurance, and one other I've seen, will cover these but only if medically necessary, others options have failed, and it has been at least one year since having ED. Has anybody found a way to get around the one year, or Does anybody have insurance that does not have the one year requirement?
Age 54
RP July 2010. All nerves spared on right, 25% on left
Pathology: T3b, Gleas 9, Pos Margins, EPE
Currently on ADT
Using Trimix successfully: 0.08ml; 20MCG Alprostadil 1MG Phentolamine 30MG/ML Papaverine

jackpTenn

Re: Insurance Required Wait Times for IPP

Postby jackpTenn » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Julious

I have read that most cancer doctors require a two year wait after prostate cancer surgery before doing an implant.

I also have read that Dr. Milam disagrees with the two year wait and his potocal is one year after prostate cancer surgery.

This is the Medicae guideline.

Prosthetic/ Orthotic Items
Including arm, leg, back, and neck braces; artificial eyes; artificial limbs (and their replacement parts); some types of breast prostheses (after mastectomy); and prosthetic devices needed to replace an internal body part or function (including ostomy supplies, and parenteral and enteral nutrition therapy) when your doctor orders it. For Medicare to cover your prosthetic or orthotic, you must go to a supplier that is enrolled in Medicare. You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount, and the Part B deductible applies.

Private insurance is most states also follow this guideline.

Jack
Peyronies 1995
Penile Implant 10/08
Dr. Douglas Milam @ Vanderbilt
Normal Again

Julios

Postby Julios » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks Jack. I called Dr Milams office and spoke with his nurse. She said he would even do the implant less than a year for my situation, if he can confirm the condition. I start radiation and hormone therapy next month. The radiation will be done in 2 months. The hormone in 6 months, which will be 10 months after my prostatectomy. My desire would be to be healed from IPP surgery by that time.
Im doing great with injections right now, but from the research I've done it's only a matter of time before I'll have to stop due to peyronies or some other side effect, and the longer I inject the more difficult I make the IPP surgery. Is that about the way you see it?
Age 54
RP July 2010. All nerves spared on right, 25% on left
Pathology: T3b, Gleas 9, Pos Margins, EPE
Currently on ADT
Using Trimix successfully: 0.08ml; 20MCG Alprostadil 1MG Phentolamine 30MG/ML Papaverine

jackpTenn

Postby jackpTenn » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Julious

Glad that your condition will allow for the IPP (inflatable penile implant) before a year.

A hint. Start keeping a copy of your medical history and test. That way it will make it easier for Dr. Milam to evaluate when to do the IPP for you. Every time I go to the doctor for anything I keep a journal and get a copy of all lab results.

Yes, I believe the sooner you can get off the injections the better for your penile health. If you show any sign of peyronies (sudden curve) let your doctor know ASAP.

Jack
Peyronies 1995
Penile Implant 10/08
Dr. Douglas Milam @ Vanderbilt
Normal Again

Return to “Implants”