Insights from Two-Year Follow-up Appointment

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Time2Change

Insights from Two-Year Follow-up Appointment

Postby Time2Change » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:24 pm

Hello All--

I had my two-year follow-up appointment with my doctor last week. Since everything's going well now, I asked him some questions about the implant failing in the future.

Here are some interesting things he told me.

First, he has a theory that it's guys with bigger implants and younger guys whose implants will have a shorter life span. At 6 1/4 inches inflated, I fall into the bigger implant category, according to him and much to my surprise. The reason is amount of use. For bigger implants, there is more pumping required to inflate, which causes more wear and tear on the parts. And guys in their 20's and 30's are just getting more action than older guys, so they're inflating more often.

Second, he told me that the parts most likely to fail are either the tubes or the pump and release valve. The reservoir and cylinders in the dick rarely fail.

Third, if/when my implant fails, my doctor said he will replace all of it, except the reservoir. Where the reservoir is placed in the abdomen is right next to some major veins. Trying to pull out the reservoir risks damaging a major vein, resulting in dangerous bleeding. So, he will leave the decommissioned reservoir in its place and put in another one on the other side.

Fourth, I asked him why he felt the tip of my dick. He wanted to make sure the cylinders were in place. Apparently, some guys leave their implants inflated for really long periods of time. This will damage the tip of the dick, according to my doctor.

For those guys wondering about his theory on implant failure, it's just that, a theory. He said he would like to do research to test it, but it's difficult to collect the data.

I believe information is empowering, so I hope you guys find this useful.
55; ED for 22+ years; Coloplast Titan implant on 10/26/20; Dr. Martin Gross; Happy to share my experiences in private messages

1day2Bbionic

Re: Insights from Two-Year Follow-up Appointment

Postby 1day2Bbionic » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:28 pm

Since your Dr said leaving the implant inflated too much can cause damage to the tip I wonder what is thoughts are on malleables

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:57 pm

1day2Bbionic wrote:Since your Dr said leaving the implant inflated too much can cause damage to the tip I wonder what is thoughts are on malleables

I think the answer to that is well known. Malleables are purposely made short so the the tissue wall in the glans area is not under constant pressure. It seems that as a group, we forget that little bit of info.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

advaita

Postby advaita » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:14 am

It reminds me that at my last appointment, my urologist told me to sufficiently deflate the implant to avoid the risk of erosion.
France - 67 - implanted: November 2021 - AMS 700 CX

Fourtytwo00

Postby Fourtytwo00 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:02 am

1day2Bbionic wrote:Since your Dr said leaving the implant inflated too much can cause damage to the tip I wonder what is thoughts are on malleables

In fact there is no sense in being "aggressive" with malleables.
Malleables outlast inflatables in term of expected life and post op complications except for the extrusion risk which is a little bit higher.

I think the theory has its merit. My impression here is that setting aside for Peyronie and other stuff a younger body should respond better to a surgery than an older one. But once you're healed a more frequent use e less attention could shorten the lifespan.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:00 am

I'm not so sure frequency of use is a factor - my Titan suddenly failed after twelve years having never been used once and being inflated only three or four times a year.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

nuance

Postby nuance » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:56 pm

Time2Change wrote:Hello All--

I had my two-year follow-up appointment with my doctor last week. Since everything's going well now, I asked him some questions about the implant failing in the future.

First, he has a theory that it's guys with bigger implants and younger guys whose implants will have a shorter life span. At 6 1/4 inches inflated, I fall into the bigger implant category, according to him and much to my surprise. The reason is amount of use. For bigger implants, there is more pumping required to inflate, which causes more wear and tear on the parts. And guys in their 20's and 30's are just getting more action than older guys, so they're inflating more often.

Second, he told me that the parts most likely to fail are either the tubes or the pump and release valve. The reservoir and cylinders in the dick rarely fail.

Third, if/when my implant fails, my doctor said he will replace all of it, except the reservoir. Where the reservoir is placed in the abdomen is right next to some major veins. Trying to pull out the reservoir risks damaging a major vein, resulting in dangerous bleeding. So, he will leave the decommissioned reservoir in its place and put in another one on the other side.

Fourth, I asked him why he felt the tip of my dick. He wanted to make sure the cylinders were in place. Apparently, some guys leave their implants inflated for really long periods of time. This will damage the tip of the dick, according to my doctor.

For those guys wondering about his theory on implant failure, it's just that, a theory. He said he would like to do research to test it, but it's difficult to collect the data.

How does it work for people that might need more than one revision and have to replace the reservoir?

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:47 am

nuance wrote:

How does it work for people that might need more than one revision and have to replace the reservoir?

That is simple. Just because they didn't temove his reservoir does not mean that they can not remove a reservoir. If leaving a reservoir in will cause a problem then they'll take it out.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

SwissTalk

Postby SwissTalk » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:02 pm

Gt1956 wrote:
nuance wrote:

That is simple. Just because they didn't temove his reservoir does not mean that they can not remove a reservoir. If leaving a reservoir in will cause a problem then they'll take it out.

But this doesn't really answer the question. If the reservoir needs to be taken out, this put the patient at risk? If so, young people who have to go through multiple revisions will likely have to face this risk.
34, ED due to venous leak caused by finasteride (PFS syndrome)
Implanted June 2023 by Dr. Hakky
Titan 22 cm, no RTE, penoscrotal

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:18 pm

No surgery is without risk.
Surgeons are trained to mitagate these risks.
We are not privy to the methods of removing an old reservoir because it is seldom talked about because the process is not common.
Remember that the reservoir is by no questions the simplest of the major implant components.
Frequently the old reservoir is reused, perhaps several times. Special splices are used to join the old reservoir tubing to the new implant tubing. This splicing is shown on numerous YouTube videos. But I suspect that many are gone now because dr Kramer removed his videos.
Perhaps a better question is if your anxiety over surgery & possible rare complications is so high. Why are you even visiting a forum the involves cutting into your penis to install an implant?
Wait, I'll answer that. You have or think you have ED. You're hoping that a magic wand can be waved to make it go away. The facts are hard to ignore. IPP's work. Are they perfect? No, but they're the best thing out there now.
Finally, my reading has shown me that even for men that have had several revisions. I do not remember any of them having problems with removing a reservoir, getting a second reservoir or a large surgery to remove an old one. I have read of a man that had hernia repairs to both sides of his abdomen. His surgeon found a third suitable place for his reservoir.
Ok, despite my strong language I do wish you the best luck with your ED. Is there a chance that you're using translation software that makes it hard to read the many years of old posts on the forum?

Return to “Implants”