Long term type 1 diabetics beware

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Gt1956

Re: Long term type 1 diabetics beware

Postby Gt1956 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:38 pm

I had the diabetic talk with my doctor. Of course they want an A1C at or below 7. But it seems that the thinking amonst surgeons now is to also not have any glucose spikes in the few days prior to surgery. The running average of the A1C is important but its best to avoid those days when your numbers goes nuts.
I've been type 2 for a couple of years. Luckily I've been at 7 or lower everytime after about 6-7 months of learning how to use insulin.
My method is that I keep a syringe on the bathroom counter. I test every time I'm in the bathroom for whatever reason. I will take a shot any time I test over 110. Many times I only take 1 or 2 units.
This has worked pretty well for me. But I'll quickly admit that type 1 could be harder to get a routine that works.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

wyatt99

Postby wyatt99 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:21 pm

strunza- no worries, sir... I can understand your frustration, it is much easier to keep in control in the present day than when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. I wish you all the best.

wyatt99

Postby wyatt99 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:30 pm

Gt1956 - One of the best tools I could ever hope for in maintaining good control is a Dexcom automatic glucose monitor. It has been a game changer for me because I can see what my glucose is anytime by just looking at my smartphone. It not only tells me the number, but if my glucose level is going up, going down, or steady. I can set an alarm to go off if it goes below a certain level or above. This is a big help if I'm in the middle of running, playing soccer, anything active that might cause my blood sugar to drop.

personfromon

Postby personfromon » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:35 pm

strunza501 wrote:I do apologize for my post. I was just fretting allot and all your replies do make sense. A1C was not measured back then and we didn’t have the World Wide Web back then and forums as of today. I have been wanting to have the malleable removed because it’s damaged and causing me pain and bladder issues and loss of feeling due to neuropathy . Yes A1C is 8.2 and I’m getting another urological opinion. Diagnosed diabetic at 15 yrs old was rough. Sorry for my posts and bitching.

No problem. Diabetes can be a royal pain in the ass, sometimes venting is required. How old are you now?

strunza501

Postby strunza501 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:51 am

I am soon to be 57 yrs old. Yes all problems stem from long term diabetes and higher A1C. Averaging little over 8.0. I do have a Medtronic insulin pump using the Dexcom transmitter. I lost feeling in my feet from neuropathy and applied for disability and that’s a whole diff story. Don’t think Medicaid will even cover any surgery to remove. It’s been a rough journey for me.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:19 pm

wyatt99 wrote:Gt1956 - One of the best tools I could ever hope for in maintaining good control is a Dexcom automatic glucose monitor. It has been a game changer for me because I can see what my glucose is anytime by just looking at my smartphone. It not only tells me the number, but if my glucose level is going up, going down, or steady. I can set an alarm to go off if it goes below a certain level or above. This is a big help if I'm in the middle of running, playing soccer, anything active that might cause my blood sugar to drop.

I wore a monitor for a few weeks early on inorder to see what time of day my glucose spiked. I admit its great technology but I wasn't fond of the idea of wearing the patch with tiny needles in me. I'm retired, my test strips are super cheap. The finger poke is no big deal. Geez, even the insulin needle is nothing.
Saying all of that, there is a chance that I'll try one in the future. My doctor is satisfied with my A1C so not very motivated to lower it. Ya, I'm too complacent.
Wyatt99, what is your A1C?? You have a chance to nudge me into getting one.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

strunza501

Postby strunza501 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:47 pm

Wish all the best for all diabetics on this forum. I’m still at a relatively young age but my malleable is so damaged that I just want it to be removed. I know if that happens that my sex life will be gone. Statistically Diabetes is the number 1 cause of ED.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:40 pm

strunza501 wrote:Wish all the best for all diabetics on this forum. I’m still at a relatively young age but my malleable is so damaged that I just want it to be removed. I know if that happens that my sex life will be gone. Statistically Diabetes is the number 1 cause of ED.

I hear you on the desire to remove a damaged (and difficult to live with) malleable. But to give up on coital sex for the rest of my life (or yours) seems sad. Removing the malleable with or without replacement with another seems to me to be equally expensive (less the actual cost of the new implant, which is minor considering the cost of the operating room etc). Would a just slightly smaller malleable be easier to live with?

Desiring the best quality of life for you in your future, I pray for the best outcome possible for you.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

wyatt99

Postby wyatt99 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:50 pm

Gt1956 - My Ha1c is typically 6.5, my doc wants it below 7. I actually don't mind finger sticks or the insulin pen either... for me the Dexcom was more about knowing if my blood sugar was steady or going up or down and probably, most important, if I was heading for an extreme low. You can set it to give you an audible warning (I set mine to 70 so that I can take corrective action before it goes too low) If you have other questions, feel free to private message me.

strunza501

Postby strunza501 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:09 pm

The penis skin is pressing agains the damaged implant and from end stage neuropathy it’s devastating from day to day

Return to “Implants”