Long term type 1 diabetics beware

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
strunza501

Long term type 1 diabetics beware

Postby strunza501 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:18 pm

Don’t do it. The pain is bad

jimmi85

Re: Long term type 1 diabetics beware

Postby jimmi85 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:04 pm

What a ridiculous post.

How do you know the pain is any worse being a diabetic than non diabetic?

Everyone heals differently regardless of their medical condition and one fit healthy person could have a lot of pain post surgery whereas an older less healthy person could have little to no pain.

But, I am sorry you are in pain, Ice lots, eat lots of pineapple and have long hot baths once you are cleared to do so. Being a Type one diabetic you should know that we take longer to heal so don’t be alarmed, it is completely normal.
Implanted by Mike Fraser in feb 2022 due to a 80 degree dorsal curvature. 18cm Titan - way undersized. 8’ pre Peyronies, 6’ pre implant - currently 6’.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:56 pm

jimmi85 wrote:What a ridiculous post.
How do you know the pain is any worse being a diabetic than non diabetic?
Everyone heals differently regardless of their medical condition and one fit healthy person could have a lot of pain post surgery whereas an older less healthy person could have little to no pain.
But, I am sorry you are in pain, Ice lots, eat lots of pineapple and have long hot baths once you are cleared to do so. Being a Type one diabetic you should know that we take longer to heal so don’t be alarmed, it is completely normal.

Read his first post in his history. Sounds like he might not of been a very good implant canidate. Btw, by my reading, it sounds like he has had a malleable implant since 1989.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

personfromon

Postby personfromon » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Also a type 1 here. Read your previous posts, sounds like you already had some pretty bad neuropathy. Have you been uncontrolled? Sorry this is happening to you, but as others have said, being a T1 does not mean you would be in any more or less pain than non-diabetic folks unless it's due to another issue.

paladin

Postby paladin » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:56 pm

Type 1 and I seem to do as well as non diabetics.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:51 am

In defense of strunza501, I am compelled to point out that long-term diabetics are rarely without adjunct pathologies. It is rare for a type 1 or a type 2 diabetic to be sufficiently well controlled over decades to escape this.

Case in point is Rick Mystrom, who in his late teens developed Type 1 Diabetes. Being a Type "A" personalilty, he tackled the disease with a vanishingly rare ferocity. At 50 years of age, his doctor commented that he had never seen a long-term diabetic so healthy. (Mystrom wrote two books about his condition and what he did in response.) I read one of them wherein he related that he experimented with eating a food, staying inactive for a couple of hours and tracked his glucose response at intervals, graphing how fast it went up and came down. THAT is a Type "A" personality for you!

So strunza501's point is well-taken. Diabetics should take extra precautions (aside from the fact that diabetics are more likely to come down with ED anyway) before ANY surgery.

But his conclusion is off-base in my opinion and as other posters have pointed out. You do not have to be victimized by Diabetes. Just as you don't have to be victimized by ED. You just have to be willing to do what it takes to master your challenges. Just like Rick Mystrom.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:53 am

In defense of strunza501, I am compelled to point out that long-term diabetics are rarely without adjunct pathologies. It is rare for a type 1 or a type 2 diabetic to be sufficiently well controlled over decades to escape this.

Case in point is Rick Mystrom, who in his late teens developed Type 1 Diabetes. Being a Type "A" personalilty, he tackled the disease with a vanishingly rare ferocity. At 50 years of age, his doctor commented that he had never seen a long-term diabetic so healthy. (Mystrom wrote four books about his condition and what he did in response.) I read one of them wherein he related that he experimented with eating a food, staying inactive for a couple of hours and tracked his glucose response at intervals, graphing how fast it went up and came down. THAT is a Type "A" personality for you!

So strunza501's point is well-taken. Diabetics should take extra precautions (aside from the fact that diabetics are more likely to come down with ED anyway) before ANY surgery.

But his conclusion is off-base in my opinion and as other posters have pointed out. You do not have to be victimized by Diabetes. Just as you don't have to be victimized by ED. You just have to be willing to do what it takes to master your challenges. Just like Rick Mystrom.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:38 am

I am not a diabetic and my pain was horrible after implant surgery. Hurt for months after.
No medical conditions other than migraines X's 40 years. BP is always good, heart is good. No daily meds.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

wyatt99

Postby wyatt99 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:52 am

Being a Type 1 diabetic has no effect on your level of pain from any surgery. The key is to be well controlled and that has more to do with your risk for infection and how quickly you heal. I've been Type 1 for 40 years, and except for my twenties, always been in good control. If you are well controlled you know what your hemoglobin A1C is and I believe a reputable surgeon will not do surgery on if your blood sugars are not within range. I'm having my surgery early next year and can't wait.

strunza501

Postby strunza501 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:38 pm

I do apologize for my post. I was just fretting allot and all your replies do make sense. A1C was not measured back then and we didn’t have the World Wide Web back then and forums as of today. I have been wanting to have the malleable removed because it’s damaged and causing me pain and bladder issues and loss of feeling due to neuropathy . Yes A1C is 8.2 and I’m getting another urological opinion. Diagnosed diabetic at 15 yrs old was rough. Sorry for my posts and bitching.

Return to “Implants”