Coloplast vs. AMS....An interesting twist.

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Lost Sheep

Re: Coloplast vs. AMS....An interesting twist.

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:42 am

Old Guy wrote:I was wondering if that implant had made any headway. I did a survey about the Bluetooth enabled implant a couple of years ago. IIRC the pump and reservoir are one unit implanted in the abdomen. No pump in the scrotum. Enabled by using an app on your phone, or possibly a device similar to a key fob.
Can you see it guys? Sitting in your chair relaxing with a beer, watching the game when suddenly your dick starts rising. Your partner has the app too! LOL
I'm more worried about hackers. Suddenly 20 thousand males across the world get erections!

Or all lose their erections all at once! :oops: :shock:
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:46 am

1380anthony wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:Personally I see some things that need to be addressed.
Battery life/recharging.
Max pump pressure.
Would it have settings for different inflations?
If the pump is built into the reservoir then any pump problem will require the reservoir to be removed. A bigger surgery IMHO.
The cost has to go up. This can't be a good thing for men that need to self pay, men in managed care counties or countries that don't cover implants at all.
What if the Blue Tooth standard goes away? Electronics are constantly changing. Think Betamax, VHS, analog television.
Good to see some innovations in the pipeline but there are subjects that would worry me.

These is one that looks better called Potency Flow from Implantica. Any idea about it

Googled it. Potency Flow from Implantica is a COMPLETELY different mecanism. Not a penile implant and works WITH a man's erectile function rather than replacing it as an implant does.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:52 am

Frankly, I would not like depending on my smartphone to get erect or to get flaccid. I have too many problems with apps, dead batteries, etc. A subcutaneous button controlling the pump inflation/deflation operation would be more to my liking. For example: Press the button against finger and hip bone to inflate and another spot to deflate. Entirely self-contained. Or, the operating switch could occupy the space in the scrotum (much smaller) where the pump would have been.

But also remember the sage advice dating back at least to the IBM PC and probably much earlier. "Never buy version 1 of ANYTHING."
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Juerhareb

Postby Juerhareb » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:34 am

HikerMan wrote:Ok, I just got back from seeing my high Implant Doctor and he just told me something that blew my mind.
According to him, the AMS is going to be Blue tooth enabled in less.than 5 years, I was also told he has already seen it in the Demo stage, it works magnificently well and it does NOT need to be manually inflated in any way.

Because of prostate cancer I will be start this journey in about a month.
I asked him which of the two is better and he informed.me.they are .both very solid units but Coloplast doesn't have this new technology.

He told me that the revision to obtain this would not be difficult.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting this.

Think I will go with the AMS.
I'm sold!

Could you send us the contact of the doctor?

on the road of life

Postby on the road of life » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:40 am

I read the description of Implantica's PotencyFlow® device.

I do not doubt that it can be effective in selected cases, my experience says that in my case, very possibly, it would have failed.

I underwent an embolization process of the deep dorsal vein of the penis, where the doctors detected the venous leak, the closure was total, with solutions of some type of foam and micro coils.

I was able to have one and only one penetrative intercourse, not very decent, after the procedure. When they authorized me, a week after the procedure, then the loss of erection became present again

Two weeks later, another Doppler echo was performed and the doctor verified that the deep dorsal vein was completely closed and that the blood was coming out through another vein that was very swollen at that moment, receiving all the blood flow. And neither months nor years had passed, when the body found its way (only weeks)

In short, the procedure totally failed

The interventional radiologists said they would close that vein too and my andrologist said no, because it would be a never-ending game, with possible negative and irreversible side effects.
56. Bionic 10/21/2022. Titan 22+2. OTR pump. Penoscrotal. ED due to venous leak, compensated with inflow for many years. Pills, injections, vacuum pumps

gjmjoe017

Postby gjmjoe017 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:19 am

This has been discussed here many times and I’m sure it will be a reality in the near future.I can tell you no way I would want one on the front end of the release and FDA approval Untill the bugs are worked out.There will be quite a few revisions in the early stages you can bet!
71 yrs.old married,ED for 7 yrs.Pills for 3 yrs,TriMix for 21/2 yrs.6 1/2 inches flacid,71/4 inches erect,6 inches girth.Coloplast Titan put in 11/13/20,Dr.Bozeman,Arkansas Urology,Little Rock.22cm + 2 RTE.

FinallyBionic

Postby FinallyBionic » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:10 am

Old Guy wrote:I'm more worried about hackers. Suddenly 20 thousand males across the world get erections!

:lol: :lol:
Finally Bionic
1969. RP Oct. 2017. Pills and Trimix didn't work. Inguinal hernia repair on both sides. AMS CX 21 cm+1 RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at Kaiser, VA, Jan. 2021. FT member since July 2020 as AST2123. See my previous 457 posts.

FinallyBionic

Postby FinallyBionic » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:13 am

Lost Sheep wrote:
Old Guy wrote:I was wondering if that implant had made any headway. I did a survey about the Bluetooth enabled implant a couple of years ago. IIRC the pump and reservoir are one unit implanted in the abdomen. No pump in the scrotum. Enabled by using an app on your phone, or possibly a device similar to a key fob.
Can you see it guys? Sitting in your chair relaxing with a beer, watching the game when suddenly your dick starts rising. Your partner has the app too! LOL
I'm more worried about hackers. Suddenly 20 thousand males across the world get erections!

Or all lose their erections all at once! :oops: :shock:

:cry: :)
Finally Bionic
1969. RP Oct. 2017. Pills and Trimix didn't work. Inguinal hernia repair on both sides. AMS CX 21 cm+1 RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at Kaiser, VA, Jan. 2021. FT member since July 2020 as AST2123. See my previous 457 posts.

seekonk

Postby seekonk » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:12 pm

I remember being told the cure for balding would come out in in 5 years. That was in 1980. It’s 42 years later and counting and we’re still waiting.

There is a big risk making life decisions based on unrealized promises of future medical tech advances. Many projects get abandoned in development or fail approval. Or a business decision to prop up shares leads to cuts of perfectly good projects, etc.

Meanwhile we’re not getting any younger.

Just for perspective, cancer is more important than penile implants, and even cancer is not considered important enough for the required investment to make a substantial difference.

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:36 pm

agree with lost sheep---"never buy version 1 of anything".

Also agree with others comments on here regarding allthe possible problems with an implant that is self inflating by bluetooth. it seems like there is just so much to break, and the complexity (and thus number of failure points) goes way up.

Really, having to pump with your hand is a non-event. Having to fiddle with your bluetooth device to control the impant seems awkward and too "robot like"

An orthopedic surgeon once stated, regarding knee joint implants, that "when it comes to parachutes and diving equipment--you should choose the one that is completely tested and tried and true, even if it is older tech" just like a parachute or joint replacement, you defiitely do not want to get the latest fad. The current devices can give you 15 years of service, and the world just will not know if the new high tech device can give that level of reliability.

I just looked at a paper from 2020 titled

The future of penile prostheses for the treatment of erectile dysfunction
John P. Lindsey, II, Tom F. Lue, and Alan W. Shindel

Here is a quote from that paper:

Aside from innovation that may reduce costs, future IPP may include more durable and/or flexible components. The realm of material’s science is in constant evolution, with newer substances introduced on a regular basis. Whether these innovations can influence the design or composition of existing implants is unclear, particularly since the financial incentives for companies producing prosthetic devices may not be aligned with incremental improvements in durability.

Several ideas that have been suggested in the past include “remote controlled” penile prostheses that may be activated without the need for manual compression of a pump (8). In a more whimsical vein, some have proposed that the incorporation of elements to enhance partner pleasure may be desirable; this is most typically suggested in the form of a “vibrating” penile implant that may convey vibratory stimulation to a partner. Aside from the clear technical difficulties involved in implanting and maintaining a charge on a device that is placed inside the penis and is simultaneously powerful enough to produce external vibrations, the utility of such a device to a sexual partner remains somewhat ambiguous.

The above paragraphs reminded me of a couple things.

(1) manufacturers would be more interested in making an implant that lasts 5 years and costs twice as much as one that lasts 15 years---so financial pressure is to build something complicated that has a built in life span

(2) it looks like devices that have electric motors and batteries are currently "just ideas" that are likely more than 5 years out.

bottom line:

Do not wait, the high tech version will take at least five years to get on the shelf of your hospital, anad there is a real chance that it will proove to be a limp dud .
Last edited by TANGERINE on Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

Return to “Implants”