Coloplast vs. AMS....An interesting twist.

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Username1

Re: Coloplast vs. AMS....An interesting twist.

Postby Username1 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:35 pm

Honestly, what would make such advice perfect is if it were designed to work like the light “clapper”..once for on, twice for off..

By gf would be on board with some sort of remote option….I suggested a tube, like a breath analyzer…she shot that down…

Back to the regularly scheduled discussion…
Implanted 5.25.21 Coldplast, 24cm. Dr Tajkarimi.

Txagq8

Postby Txagq8 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:59 pm

My opinion is just that, an opinion.

I suspect AMS and Coloplast will move forward with electronic controls. They’ll sell some. But the older models will continue to be sold and installed for a long time, as the surgeons and insurance carriers favor the lesser cost and proven reliability.

If either manufacturer wanted to get rich beyond imagination, develop the implant that would slowly, safely expand your length and girth without threat of erosion.
Robust, adolescent 65 year old. Venous leakage forever. Used shots, shots+pills 30+ years. Married to same wife ~35 yrs. Implanted 31Dec2019 in Austin Tx. AMS 700 LGX 18 cm with 5 cm RTE.

Cnidium

Postby Cnidium » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:18 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:
Cnidium wrote:
Lost Sheep wrote:I will point out that there are many couples who find 100% inflation to be uncomfortable for both.

Agreed, but those are the couples I feel wouldnt be at risk. If they miss out on 100% max inflation, then they arent out anything. Those couples that do like 100% max could find themselves invested into a product that can't easily be reverted back to the standard manual pump implant.

That sounds like a design parameter. Inflatable implants (I am told) have pressure-limiting features (relief valve) that put an upper limit on the degree of inflation. The electric pump, if set with the same pressure limit, would produce the same (100%) degree of inflation. Presumably, the control device would allow those who desire a lesser degree of inflation (some degrees of inflation are better for certain activities than others). One could dial in 75% for fellatio, 85% for masturbation, 90% for coitus and 100% for anal penetration and dial back once inside. The options are endless.

I hope the device is made with all of these options/combos. I'm still going to wait at least a year to get real patient feed back, but would def pay to swap mine out if it turned out to be 100% legit.

In case I missed it - How would one charge this thing?
Titan OTR. Dr. Hakky - successful surgery and very happy with outcome.
My advice: choose a world-class surgeon and make yourself the healthiest you can.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:24 am

Cnidium wrote:In case I missed it - How would one charge this thing?

Probably trans-cutaneously through magnetic induction.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

impotentredditor

Postby impotentredditor » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:58 pm

Gt1956 wrote:
impotentredditor wrote:
Cnidium wrote:This has the potential to be good or bad.
As others mentioned, I would take the route of letting the product exist on the market for a while before making a decision.
My big question would be: What constitutes a 100% erection?
With my titan, I can force in a little bit more fluid into the cylinders every 2-3 minutes. Therefore, after the initial main round of pumping, I can add a bit more 3-4 times afterwards. I consider doing this the way to get me too 100% inflated.
If a software-ran erection could get me to my absolute 100%, then I would consider that amazing. If it got me anywhere less than 100% and I could not force it to "pump" in more saline, then I would consider than truly awful.

Agreed with this. I would also add that usually doctors advocate for early activation of the device (( know Dr Eid does). But usually people don't inflate to full on their first try because of how much it hurts. But even small amounts of inflation helps stretch out the capsule tissue and ensure you have the right size. How would this implant handle early activation ?

The manual pump doesn't stop early activation, its the tolerance to the pain that is the limiting factor.

Yes but what I am imagining is a scenario where you press a button on an app and it goes to full erect. Given the pain in the early days, a full inflation would be excruciatingly painful. With a manual you can pump in small amounts of fluid.

The real question is - what kind of interface will the company provide to activate it. Will they allow control of hardness like the manual pump does. If yes, then early activation shouldnt be a problem at all and this device would actually be wonderful. If no, then it would be problematic as delayed activation could lead to loss of size.
26 year old with lifelong venous leak. Hoping to get an implant soon.

HikerMan

Postby HikerMan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 pm

Txagq8 wrote:My opinion is just that, an opinion.

I suspect AMS and Coloplast will move forward with electronic controls. They’ll sell some. But the older models will continue to be sold and installed for a long time, as the surgeons and insurance carriers favor the lesser cost and proven reliability.

If either manufacturer wanted to get rich beyond imagination, develop the implant that would slowly, safely expand your length and girth without threat of erosion.

What intrigued.me was that the AMS Unit will be able to do this without.any competition.from Coloplast.
Apparently, they are not researching.this whatsoever.

Maybe they know something.
AMS 700 installed 12/22/22
REAR TIP Extender 5.0CM MR Conditional
AMS 700 SPHERICAL RESERVOIR 100 ML.
AMS 700 LGX INFRA PUBIC 18 cm
Dr. Jeffrey Loh Doyle- USC KECK
Prostate cancer survivor- RP performed 8/20
56, Marathon runner, John Muir Trail fanatic.

fallible

Postby fallible » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:05 pm

I "assume" electronic controlled implant devices would be programmed like hearing aids today.
Tell your doctor you need a few more psi and he/she would remotely login to the device and revise some parameters. Maybe increase length and girth with a programmed stretching routine and control each tube separately for curvature correction, etc.

The future may not even be fluid filled tubes. How about an electroactive polymer (EAP) that exhibits a change in size or shape when stimulated by an electric field.
When placed in an electrolyte solution, the material expands by a factor of 100 in response to a weak positive electrical pulse. A negatively charged pulse causes the material to return to its original volume.

Probably not in my lifetime.

frank66665

Postby frank66665 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:40 pm

it is probably better for the manufacturers to remain firm in this situation, it is better for the manufacturer because prostheses need revisions for one reason, when for another, and it is better for urologists because every time they put their hands there is money like a new operation , for this reason implant urologists exalt it more than necessary, but I know non-implant urologists who advise against it and others who advise if you really want to make it better malleable, this was told me clearly by a non-implant urologist, he said too many cracks , if you really want to put it put the malleable
56, ED since 2010, pills work but not always and well, trt in progress improved but not so much, myocardial infarction january 2016, new stent september 2016, hypertension, venous on 1/23/23 titan one touch 22, no rte dottor Gabriele Antonini Italia

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:43 pm

HikerMan wrote:
Txagq8 wrote:My opinion is just that, an opinion.

What intrigued.me was that the AMS Unit will be able to do this without.any competition.from Coloplast.
Apparently, they are not researching.this whatsoever.
Maybe they know something.

I have to agree with Txagq8. We have to remember who actually pays for the vast majority of implants. Medicare & insurance companies. Guys can get all hot & bothered by hi tech bells & whistles. But the purse strings are held by accountants.
As for Coloplast perhaps not being on the development path. Its very simple. Despite the posts on FT. AMS is the gorilla in the implant marketplace. They have the market share that produces the profits that can fund this type of reseach. If AMS gets one to market? I bet Coloplast will piggyback on that product to develope their own. Let someone else pay to learn what doesn't work.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Lost Sheep

A better controller than bluetooth

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:32 pm

How about a brain implant that will inflate the implant in response to a mental directive (much as some prosthetic limbs being developed now can be activated)

Re-read Fallible's post. I like that idea (electroactive polymer) much better than bluetooth, pump, reservoir combination or even the heat-activated "memory metal" discussed earlier and in other threads.
fallible wrote:I "assume" electronic controlled implant devices would be programmed like hearing aids today.
Tell your doctor you need a few more psi and he/she would remotely login to the device and revise some parameters. Maybe increase length and girth with a programmed stretching routine and control each tube separately for curvature correction, etc.

The future may not even be fluid filled tubes. How about an electroactive polymer (EAP) that exhibits a change in size or shape when stimulated by an electric field.

Think of it. A three-way biofeedback loop. Command, "Up", "Down" or "Lock at this degree of inflation". At will.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Return to “Implants”