how does the reservoir feel?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
España1980

how does the reservoir feel?

Postby España1980 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:44 am

There is a lot of talk about the cylinders, about the pump, but I don't read much about the reservoirs, I have been watching videos but you can't see exactly how they are located, do you have to break muscle to insert them underneath? Does the cable that goes to the pump feel a lot? do you feel them when you sit down or when you fill your stomach with food? do you feel them sleeping? . tell me a little about the reservoirs please. I don't know how they fit them in there and if they fit them by opening muscle it's like another operation, like for example appendicitis but on the opposite side. I can't see it clearly on the videos.

brianroa7

Re: how does the reservoir feel?

Postby brianroa7 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:59 am

First, there is only one reservoir and it may depend on your belly as to whether you works ever notice it by site. I’m pretty thin and see a tiny bulge where it is when I’m flat on my back. I can’t feel any tubing at all and only notice it when I deflate. I get a little sensation of the reservoir filling back up just a little. I had to have a counter incision for my reservoir meaning that I had an incision in my scrotum and in my abdomen also. The abdominal incision was pretty sore for a while but my doctor did such a great job that now you can’t see either incision ever happened. Other than a little curve in my flaccid penis I look exactly like I did pre-op. Highly satisfied with Dr. Ortiz’s work.
58, implanted with 22 cm Titan (no RTE's) on April 1, 2022. Complete ED started after High Dose Rate Brachytherapy for prostate cancer. Tried everything else first but nothing worked. Wonderfully supportive wife!

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:18 pm

I don't feel or see any signs of my reservoir.
I did have some discomfort where it was entering my abdomen though, probably from the opening the surgeon had to cut to get it there.

5'9/154lbs.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

España1980

Postby España1980 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:20 pm

brianroa7 wrote:First, there is only one reservoir and it may depend on your belly as to whether you works ever notice it by site. I’m pretty thin and see a tiny bulge where it is when I’m flat on my back. I can’t feel any tubing at all and only notice it when I deflate. I get a little sensation of the reservoir filling back up just a little. I had to have a counter incision for my reservoir meaning that I had an incision in my scrotum and in my abdomen also. The abdominal incision was pretty sore for a while but my doctor did such a great job that now you can’t see either incision ever happened. Other than a little curve in my flaccid penis I look exactly like I did pre-op. Highly satisfied with Dr. Ortiz’s work.

I'm sorry, friend, but I still don't know how the reservoir arrives inside the abdomen and why you have two incisions or counterincisions

España1980

Postby España1980 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:38 pm

tomas1 wrote:I don't feel or see any signs of my reservoir.
I did have some discomfort where it was entering my abdomen though, probably from the opening the surgeon had to cut to get it there.

5'9/154lbs.

So from what I see there are more incisions than just the penescrotal one. Does there have to be an incision in the abdominal muscle? paranel reservoir?, I still can not imagine it

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:48 pm

España1980 wrote:There is a lot of talk about the cylinders, about the pump, but I don't read much about the reservoirs, I have been watching videos but you can't see exactly how they are located, do you have to break muscle to insert them underneath? Does the cable that goes to the pump feel a lot? do you feel them when you sit down or when you fill your stomach with food? do you feel them sleeping? . tell me a little about the reservoirs please. I don't know how they fit them in there and if they fit them by opening muscle it's like another operation, like for example appendicitis but on the opposite side. I can't see it clearly on the videos.

This depends on the doctor and the approach (penoscrotal, or infrapubic). Some doctors use 2 incisions for infrapubic and some just one. Some doctors have another incision for a drain and some do not. And then there is 2 different placements that I know of. One is in the space next to the bladder. It uses some of the space the bladder uses when it stores urine. The other that I know of is under a muscle layer. I do not know much about that location. So this is a question you can ask the doctor(s) you consider for this.

In my case my doctor used the penoscrotal approach. He used his fingers to go in between the muscle layers to create a hernia to insert the reservoir up next to my bladder. That is why I had a 10 lb. weight lifting restriction to permit this to heal after surgery. I cannot really see this but I could feel this and still do at times. This caused a bit of discomfort after surgery and lasted longer than my other recovery. Not any pain or trouble it was just that I could feel it and knew it was and is there.

Web search is good to look up the type of surgery approach and placement. I hope this helps a bit and gives you some information to help with your search.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

España1980

Postby España1980 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:09 pm

newbie443 wrote:
España1980 wrote:There is a lot of talk about the cylinders, about the pump, but I don't read much about the reservoirs, I have been watching videos but you can't see exactly how they are located, do you have to break muscle to insert them underneath? Does the cable that goes to the pump feel a lot? do you feel them when you sit down or when you fill your stomach with food? do you feel them sleeping? . tell me a little about the reservoirs please. I don't know how they fit them in there and if they fit them by opening muscle it's like another operation, like for example appendicitis but on the opposite side. I can't see it clearly on the videos.

This depends on the doctor and the approach (penoscrotal, or infrapubic). Some doctors use 2 incisions for infrapubic and some just one. Some doctors have another incision for a drain and some do not. And then there is 2 different placements that I know of. One is in the space next to the bladder. It uses some of the space the bladder uses when it stores urine. The other that I know of is under a muscle layer. I do not know much about that location. So this is a question you can ask the doctor(s) you consider for this.

In my case my doctor used the penoscrotal approach. He used his fingers to go in between the muscle layers to create a hernia to insert the reservoir up next to my bladder. That is why I had a 10 lb. weight lifting restriction to permit this to heal after surgery. I cannot really see this but I could feel this and still do at times. This caused a bit of discomfort after surgery and lasted longer than my other recovery. Not any pain or trouble it was just that I could feel it and knew it was and is there.

Web search is good to look up the type of surgery approach and placement. I hope this helps a bit and gives you some information to help with your search.

Thanks friend, I'm understanding it better now, but what is clear is a point of discomfort, and it's not as simple as they want us to see

España1980

Postby España1980 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:34 pm

Anyway, I search the web and it is not clear to me in any of the videos where and how they insert the reservoir

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:47 pm

newbie wrote:

That's exactly the discomfort I felt for several months.
I've never had a hernia, but I always imagined that would be how one felt.

IMPLANT RESERVOIR
Reservoir Size
Select the appropriate reservoir size based on cylinder length. Refer to
table in the Product Line Matrix section of this manual to determine
reservoir size.

Infrapubic Implantation
1. Create a defect in rectus fascia and a pocket in prevesical space
under the rectus muscle to insert the reservoir.
Note: The reservoir tubing may be routed through the rectus fascia
using the AMS Tubing Passer. When using AMS Tubing Passers,
tubing should be placed on knobbed end of passer and passed through
fascia. As an alternative, route tubing directly through midline
between rectus muscles.

Penoscrotal Implantation
1. Create a defect in transversalis fascia through the external inguinal
ring (Figure 4-15a). This defect provides access to the prevesical
space. You may find access to the inguinal ring and pre-vesicle space
easier using the baby deaver provided in the SKW Retractor Kit.
The deaver is placed in the inguinal ring and pulled toward the
head, revealing the inguinal ring. Once the pocket is created in the
prevesical space, use your finger to place the reservoir into the space.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

España1980

Postby España1980 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:56 pm

Thank you, one of my doubts is also if after the operation, either due to anesthesia or stress, and if one had to vomit, he would be forcing the abdominal muscles or everything around the reservoir and therefore irritating the wound when doing forces

Return to “Implants”