Breast implant illness/silicone toxicity/autoimmunity

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Thisworld

Re: Breast implant illness/silicone toxicity/autoimmunity

Postby Thisworld » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:30 pm

Endoftheline wrote:
One if the reasons i went for the implant, i cant keep waiting for a cure for HF, sooner or later i had to move on, didnt feel good getting close to 30 and never having a good sexual experiance.

Yeah I can't imagine living 16 years with ED, it must have been awful. You totally made the right choice, especially considering that after so many years the chances to "cure" your HF naturally (if that wuold never be possible) were anyways pretty unrealistic
Hard flaccid syndrome since 2019. Trying to get better with conservative treatments but an implant is on my radar

Musson

Postby Musson » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:54 pm

The silicone breast implant sensitivity was scientifically debunked. The problem is that the irrefutable science came in after Dow/Corning had already entered into a very large settlement of the class action litigation. Timing is everything and in this case Dow/Corning settled too soon.
63yr old. PDwith 40% dor. Curve. Pre-PD 7”x6”.lost 2 in. due to PD. ED prior to PD. Switched from Sildalifil to Trimix Nov 2023 . Currently titrating Trimix for optimization.

nuance

Postby nuance » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:49 am

Musson wrote:The silicone breast implant sensitivity was scientifically debunked. The problem is that the irrefutable science came in after Dow/Corning had already entered into a very large settlement of the class action litigation. Timing is everything and in this case Dow/Corning settled too soon.

What turned out to be the reason for the auto-immune disease in these cases?

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:50 am

Musson wrote:The silicone breast implant sensitivity was scientifically debunked. The problem is that the irrefutable science came in after Dow/Corning had already entered into a very large settlement of the class action litigation. Timing is everything and in this case Dow/Corning settled too soon.

Please cite sources.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:52 am

Lost Sheep wrote:

Please cite sources.

Not really proof. But I remember that several of the implant models that were temporally banned were later approved.
Lots of hysteria was involved. My SIL went through it because she had breast reconstruction. My take on her issues was a a matter of rejection rather than a silicone issue. But she had them removed & never replaced them
After the moratorium on implants was lifted. Many women had thiers swapped out for the new approved models.
As I've posted. I read of a silicone sensitivity test that can be performed. But it is under utilized.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:02 am

A quick search found this.
In 1997, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) appointed the Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (NAS) to investigate the potential risks of operative and post-operative complications from the emplacement of silicone breast implants. The IOM's review of the safety and efficacy of silicone gel-filled breast implants, reported that the "evidence suggests diseases or conditions, such as connective tissue diseases, cancer, neurological diseases, or other systemic complaints or conditions are no more common in women with breast implants, than in women without implants" subsequent studies and systemic review found no causal link between silicone breast implants and disease.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

nuance

Postby nuance » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:26 am

TwoStep wrote:Somewhat relevant to the topic is the issue of implant-related cancers, e.g. ALCL (anaplastic large-cell lymphoma):
Dr Gould has also found a case of facial nerve stimulator implant-associated ALCL and a separate case of penile prosthesis-associated ALCL

https://www.cancertherapyadvisor.com/ho ... er-risk/2/

This article is interesting:

" The recall was a reversal of the FDA’s previous position that the implants should be kept on the market – and came on the heels of headlines about the agency’s failure to disclose thousands of breast implant-associated injuries and complications"

"Latency periods (lag times) between implantation and BIA-ALCL diagnosis have varied widely, from approximately 2 years to 27 years, with a mean lag time of 9.75 years"

Given the mean lag time of approx 10 years, is there enough data on penile implants?

Musson

Postby Musson » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:35 am

Lost,

Here is the most comprehensive compendium of sources.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7882356/

I was heavily involved in the litigation through my work but that was over 20 years ago the exact details are a little fuzzy. The lead plaintiff as I recall had lupus and she was able to throw a lot of symptoms at the wall and a few of them resonated with the court. The better science came in post settlement and created a multi billion fund which continued to feed the litigation machine.
63yr old. PDwith 40% dor. Curve. Pre-PD 7”x6”.lost 2 in. due to PD. ED prior to PD. Switched from Sildalifil to Trimix Nov 2023 . Currently titrating Trimix for optimization.

TANGERINE

Postby TANGERINE » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:30 am

i was just reading about coloplast titan from the manufacturer.

Just to remind everyone

Titan is made of "bioflex" (I think that is a plastic)

AMS is made of "silicon" (that is why it is more pliable in the soft state, also the silicon is not as durable as the plastic bioflex --so say some surgeons with regards to the LGX from ams

So if you are scared of siicon (I would not be) then consider titan.
Also, some people, super rare, state that they get allergic to the antibiotic coating of AMS, so that might be a reason to go titan (no anntibiotic coating); but, on the other hand, the antibiotic coating on AMS might make it infection resistant----and that would be an awesome thing if it panned out (which many argue it has not)
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:23 pm

My understanding is that all implant cylinders are coated with an antibiotic solution before placed in the man. AMS does the coating during the manufacturing process and is said to be deeper in the material. Coloplast cylinders are manufactured with a substance that they say permits the antibiotic solution to be absorbed quickly in the OR at the time of the surgery. This permits the doctor to choose the antibiotic solution to use. There were higher infection rates when this first came out with Coloplast and the then recommended solution. But the solution was quickly changed and using the current solution Coloplast has the same infection rate as the AMS coating. There was a paper I read on this but I do not have a copy saved.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Return to “Implants”