FAQs from new guy thinking about implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
ditchman

FAQs from new guy thinking about implant

Postby ditchman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:40 pm

I've talked to my urologist about an implant. He does 20-25 implant surgeries per year; did many more annually in the past before ED meds. I've asked him questions, but I need further confirmation from you guys who have been throuh it. I'm scared.

I am small in size and suffer from peyronies for 10+ years. ED for 10 years. Only about 2" when flacid, more like 5" or a little more when erect. Not a lot of girth. I believe my growth was stunted as a child, and this caused peyronies later in life (ED began when I was about 35; I am now 44). I have no success with meds, and the 20mcg Edex shots are also no longer effective. I am at my wits end. I do not know where to turn.

Here is a list of questions that I have about an implant:

1) After the implant, can I be confident that I will be at least the size I am now? Given my small size, I am really scared about loosing further size, both in length and girth.

2) Once the implant is done, will there be problems with urination and/or ejaculation? Will I still ejaculate and climax? My doc showed me an implant device (I don't know which model it was) with the two tubes. They seemed very large given the size of my penis.

3) How much sensation do you feel during sex? Do you still have same sensation during sexual encounter as before the implant? Is it dulled? If so, how much, roughly?

4) What is the difference in the types of implants? AMS700LGX? CX? Titan? My doc has not specifically recommended a particular design for me. I'm confused.

5) Once the implant is in place, do you feel the device? Is there pain or discomfort?

6) Honestly, how rigid do you become with the implant? I do not want to go through this process and end up even more dysfunctional than I am right now. I am scared. If I pull the trigger on this, I want to be sure I am going to be satisfied. I have no insurance to cover the costs, so this is out of my own pocket.
ED problems beginning age 35, no health problems other than ED, non-diabetic, low cholesterol, normal blood pressure; AMS CXR implant March 2013 (Dr. Drogo Montague, Cleveland Clinic) following oral meds, VED, and finally injections without improvement.

Bionic_by_AMS

Re: FAQs from new guy thinking about implant

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:37 am

ditchman wrote:Here is a list of questions that I have about an implant:

I'll try and take you through point by point ... and yes the unknown is scary, but getting an Implant is easier than you think ...

1) After the implant, can I be confident that I will be at least the size I am now? Given my small size, I am really scared about loosing further size, both in length and girth.

The general "rule-of-thumb" is to pull your flaccid penis straight out, as far as possible ... now look down, that is about the size you will get from an erect Implant.

2) Once the implant is done, will there be problems with urination and/or ejaculation? Will I still ejaculate and climax?

If you had no prior problems in these areas ... then there will be no problems after Implant ...

3) How much sensation do you feel during sex? Do you still have same sensation during sexual encounter as before the implant?

Same answer as above ...

4) What is the difference in the types of implants? AMS700LGX? CX? Titan?

Both models generally function the same ... from the sounds of your issues (peyronies for 10+ years) and small in stature ... looks like a AMS CX would be the logical choice ... Titan also has a "thin model". Both are designed for scar tissue issues ... thinner cylinders but stronger material to compensate for smaller sizes, etc.

5) Once the implant is in place, do you feel the device? Is there pain or discomfort?

There is discomfort during the healing process (6 - 12 weeks) once healed it just becomes part of you ... yes you know it's there, but let's face it ... you will be glad to overcome your ED issues and have a working member again, the little stuff really doesn't matter.

6) Honestly, how rigid do you become with the implant?

Let me put it this way ... I can hang a wet full-sized bath towel on it ... that hard enough for you? (lol) Yes we can do all the "positions" that we could before ... wife says she can't really tell the difference in "feel" once inside. Sure there are minor differences ... but who cares because it will "get up" and stay up everytime and for as long as needed.

I have no insurance to cover the costs, so this is out of my own pocket.

With no insurance ... yes it's out of pocket. Unless you can apply for coverage somewhere ... buy make sure there are no exclusions for male ED related issues. I've seem several posts from the guys here that it can be done for $12,000 cash. Mine was covered by insurance and billed at $17,000 ... I paid a $25 co-pay ...

If you have any more questions ... just ask ... don't be shy ... most of us have walked down the same path as you ...
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

SteveTex

Postby SteveTex » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 am

Everybody is so different, but you should know all the risks going in. I had my AMS700LGX implanted on Wednesday, so I'm on Day 3 now. When I awoke from surgery I was surprised to find only one tube inserted due to scar tissue on the other side. Although pain has been minimal, I now have severe swelling.

All said, at this point I am still glad I did it.
Age 61.

Jbcsatx

Postby Jbcsatx » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:55 am

Well, in ten days I can give you some answers and address some of your concerns. I think I identical in size as you. Yes, I have the same concerns-I don't have much to spare in length or girth but my conclusion is what I have is not working so whatever I am blessed with after surgery will be great. The relief of all the anxiety about being able to get an erection or not may be the best part of it all. From my studies, I find the loss of length is less of a problem for men with smaller penises. Smaller is ok all I want is hard!! Like the analogy of replacing my floppy with a new hard drive that one of the members made!! I plan to journal my post surgery experience on FT yes, try the Trimix before you decide on an implant glad you found this site!

SteveTex

Postby SteveTex » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:26 pm

I was able to get to about 5 3/4 with the VED prior to surgery. I'm hoping I can get near that with the imllant. I think my girth will increase for sure. In the end, girth counts more than length. With the ladies anyway.
Age 61.

ditchman

Postby ditchman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful. I'm still in the deciding stage, and, as I said, because I will be paying the full cost myself (no insurance for this procedure), I have a lot of money questions and concerns.

My hospital is quoting me $30k+ for the procedure, with some minimal discounts for uninsured and up-front payment.

That seems really steep to both me and my urologist. It was like a kick in the gut when I heard that amount as both he and I were expecting something much more in the range of $20k or less.

Does anyone know how to price shop on this procedure, or if there are clinics or hospitals that specialize in this type of operation for people whose regular insurance will not cover it?

I've heard of quotes ranging as low as $12k from a clinic and urologist in Cleveland. Not sure what to think about this.

Any thoughts?
ED problems beginning age 35, no health problems other than ED, non-diabetic, low cholesterol, normal blood pressure; AMS CXR implant March 2013 (Dr. Drogo Montague, Cleveland Clinic) following oral meds, VED, and finally injections without improvement.

seawyn

Postby seawyn » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Do a Google search on Dr Perito of Miami FL. He only does Titan implants and specializes in implants. I don't know anything about prices. His web pages are very impressive
Seawyn

buckster

Postby buckster » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:52 pm

ditchman wrote:Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful. I'm still in the deciding stage, and, as I said, because I will be paying the full cost myself (no insurance for this procedure), I have a lot of money questions and concerns.

My hospital is quoting me $30k+ for the procedure, with some minimal discounts for uninsured and up-front payment.

That seems really steep to both me and my urologist. It was like a kick in the gut when I heard that amount as both he and I were expecting something much more in the range of $20k or less.

Does anyone know how to price shop on this procedure, or if there are clinics or hospitals that specialize in this type of operation for people whose regular insurance will not cover it?
I've heard of quotes ranging as low as $12k from a clinic and urologist in Cleveland. Not sure what to think about this.

Any thoughts?

Here's a good thread by a guy that had the $12k implant by the uro in Cleveland. I'm in Oregon and have no insurance coverage for implant. I'm thinking of taking a medical vacation sometime next spring to Cleveland to get it done.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1638
Age 68. Married 49 years. Location Oregon. PCa at age 56. Open RP surgery and radiation treatment. Oral or injection drugs didn't work. Implanted 10/13/20. Titan Narrow Base 18cm with 1cm left and 1.5cm right rear tip extenders.

vladtepes

Postby vladtepes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:24 pm

I get from k.b.marino (the link in the post above) Dr. Drogo K. Montague of the Cleveland Clinic.
I contacted Angel and is $12,000.
I get excelent opinions regarding Dr. Drogo K. Montague

Vlad

ditchman

Postby ditchman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks, once again, for all the replies and the resources. Sorry for the delay in getting back on here, but I've been researching the implant option more and have an appointment scheduled to see Dr. Montague for a pre-op visit in December. I also received a written estimate from the Cleveland Clinic that the cost of the procedure is, indeed, $12,000. That includes the doctor and hospital fees, as well as the cost of the prosthetic device itself. It also includes one post-op visit for removal of stitches or staples, and to confirm full functionality of the device. Any pre-op visits or examinations, including ultrasounds of the penis, will cost extra. This is a special plan that the Clinic has for self-pay patients without insurance coverage. So, thanks for those who recommended Dr. Montague. Perhaps this is the route I will take. I'm looking forward to my visit with him next month to get more information and hear his recommendations.

Return to “Implants”