Life span on implants

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Pamen116

Life span on implants

Postby Pamen116 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:56 pm

In reality what is the lifespan of a average IPP? I heard people say it 13 years but I’ve found it rare to come across anyone who’s had it for longer than 5
30 yrs old. Current IPP failed in 2022. Waiting revision. No insurance. I’ve had both Titan & AMS.

Lost Sheep

Re: Life span on implants

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:14 pm

Where do you search?

The population on FrankTalk is self-selected and very likely not representative of all implanted men. Men who are too busy USING their implants may not post here. At least, not until their implants fail or give trouble.

Far better, I think to read medical journals (peer-reviewed reputable ones) for studies on implants' service lives. Second-best is to ask implant surgeons, though they do not always keep in touch with their patients over the long haul.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

jimmi85

Postby jimmi85 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:18 pm

I don’t know but I would say;

5 years is the average minimum lifespan.
15 years is the most common talked about number for maximum lifespan
8-12 years is the most likely lifespan depending on usage
Implanted by Mike Fraser in feb 2022 due to a 80 degree dorsal curvature. 18cm Titan - way undersized. 8’ pre Peyronies, 6’ pre implant - currently 6’.

Endoftheline

Postby Endoftheline » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:08 pm

jimmi85 wrote:I don’t know but I would say;

5 years is the average minimum lifespan.
15 years is the most common talked about number for maximum lifespan
8-12 years is the most likely lifespan depending on usage

I've seen a post earlier that quoted eid as saying the latest implants are good for 200,000 inflation. I think it's mostly a matter of luck and the quality of the implant itself rather than usage.

If usage is a big predictor I'm gonna be in big trouble, ive had ED since sexually active and probably going to abuse it for a while to make up for lost time :/
29 years old and suffered from ED for over 16 years
I had hard flaccid (Potentially Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction) , turned to long flaccid after priaprism incident.
implanted June 24 2022
24 cm XL Titan
L: 5.7 G: 5.0 (no arousal)
L:6.5 G:5.3 (aroused)

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:21 pm

Endoftheline wrote:If usage is a big predictor I'm gonna be in big trouble, ive had ED since sexually active and probably going to abuse it for a while to make up for lost time :/

LOL, that was my thought at first, I'm gonna break this thing the first month from overuse!

There are just too many variables to definitely say how long an implant will last. Usage, accidents, exercise routines, not following surgeons' orders after implant, etc. I've been wondering if sleeping on my stomach and bending my shaft down between my legs might lead to early failure. Then possible manufacturing issues that might occur.
That thought makes me want to know how they test these things before it gets stuck inside a man. LOL
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

Lester33

Postby Lester33 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:41 pm

We told Dr Perito if you can break one or wear it out I would be back. Going on four years now and it works perfectly.

Lester
IPP on 6/22/2018 by Dr. Perito, Miami, FL.
22cm Coloplast Titan, 2 RTE
Testosterone therapy
Cancer free seven years, married fifty years, wonderful sex life

Fourtytwo00

Postby Fourtytwo00 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:34 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:Where do you search?

The population on FrankTalk is self-selected and very likely not representative of all implanted men. Men who are too busy USING their implants may not post here. At least, not until their implants fail or give trouble.

Far better, I think to read medical journals (peer-reviewed reputable ones) for studies on implants' service lives. Second-best is to ask implant surgeons, though they do not always keep in touch with their patients over the long haul.

Assuming people are more likely to post when they're in trouble - which is reasonable, it's not a good explanation for many low single digit malfunctioning. Unless you assume that people at 4 years mark are more likely to report their problems than people at 8 years mark.

My guesstimate is that's better to start early for a revision.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:04 pm

Fourtytwo00 wrote:
Lost Sheep wrote:Where do you search?

Assuming people are more likely to post when they're in trouble - which is reasonable, it's not a good explanation for many low single digit malfunctioning. Unless you assume that people at 4 years mark are more likely to report their problems than people at 8 years mark.

My guesstimate is that's better to start early for a revision.

Many mechanical devices (and I think IPPs are among them) either fail early or have a long life. There are reasons for this buried in statistics which I am not equipped to go deeply into, but it makes sense that, just as all devices will last a particular length of time, most devices will not fail in a linear way, either.

That is, taking human beings in past centuries as an example. Babies born either died in their first couple of years or lived into their 50s (absent wars, natural disasters and epidemics). So IPPs, if they follow that model either fail early (perhaps because of manufacturing defects or medical mistake on installation) or have their full, design service life.

It is not like 10% fail in the first year and another 10% fail in the second year and another 10% fail in the third year (a linear example) and the last 10% fail in the 10th years.

It is more like 10% fail in the first year and 1% fail in each of the following years until you get to the 6 year mark and the % of failures start to climb.

And then there is the complication of implants that are still functional when their OWNERS cease to function. (Hopefully with smiles on their faces.)
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:41 pm

99 percent of those with implants won't be on here. So you are getting a very skewed result. One of the last data sets I saw was doctors were doing 25,000 to 30,000 implants a year. The vast majority are happy and moving on with life and probably have no concern whether their implant doctor is at the top of anyone's list.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:51 pm

SW0110 wrote:99 percent of those with implants won't be on here. So you are getting a very skewed result. One of the last data sets I saw was doctors were doing 25,000 to 30,000 implants a year. The vast majority are happy and moving on with life and probably have no concern whether their implant doctor is at the top of anyone's list.

I totally agree. Also, one guy with a faulty implant can make a lot of posts while hes getting a revision. Thus it sure looks like a lot of failures because you read so many posts by a few men.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Return to “Implants”