How bad is an infection

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
ObamaDr

How bad is an infection

Postby ObamaDr » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:10 pm

I am a fairly young guy, 21, and have been dealing with the beginnings of pd. I've read so many stories about implants and viewed it as a nice final option if everything else fails. I also have come across the increased risk of infection with more revisions, this scares me a lot. I don't have an implant and I'm not at a stage of considering one, but I want to know how bad an infection is. Does infection cause complete impotence. Infection just sounds too vague.

Skier123

Re: How bad is an infection

Postby Skier123 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:59 pm

Hey my friend,

I know you know this already ... but you are way way way out ahead of events.

There are many ways to treat "pd" short of an implant. Seek out a real reputable urologist that specializes in male sexual health and discuss your concerns with him or her. If they try to rush you into an implant - run the other way.

The implant is an absolute last resort treatment - especially at your age. The body tends to do a pretty good job of healing itself - especially when you are young and healthy. Serious treatments like implants are usually (but not always) reserved for us older guys who's bodies don't heal themselves as well as they used to.

To your question: an infection is a very rare complication that can occur during implant surgery. With the best, highest volume surgeons, the risk is almost non-existent.

If you happen to have extremely bad luck (or a bad surgeon) and get an infection - it is not the end of the world. Typically the implant has to be removed - but can be replaced 6 -12 months down the line after the infection clears up.

Again - you are only 21 with "the beginnings of pd". You are young and strong, and the issue may simply resolve itself. If not - there are many many many steps you should take before even beginning to think about an implant - let alone the remote possibility of an infection.

Take your time, be smart, and enjoy being 21.
54 yr old single guy
Severe ED for over10 years; diagnosed with peyrones and venous leak
Implanted 12/23/19, Dr. Laurence Levine
Coloplast Titan w/ Genesis pump

Return to “Implants”