How Does the Doctor Determine the Size of Your Implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Sean762

How Does the Doctor Determine the Size of Your Implant?

Postby Sean762 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Searched but couldn't find any answer.

So just how does the surgeon determine what size implant he's going to use?

Is it determined on the table that day or can they calculate it off of your normal erect length?

Also, I'm reading but lacking understanding about the whole crura of the penis being the limiting factor. Is the implant longer than your actual erect length? So if you were 8" fully erect on your own (not in a VED device)....does that translate to a 20.3cm implant? I don't think it does....it seems like some of it is implanted behind the pubic bone from what I understand....so you'd need something larger...but how much larger...given that from what I gather you only end up with 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the length you went in with (this is to say nothing of the girth)? I don't think the two cylinders extend up into the head of the penis either....which may mean the length of your shaft is what's important, not the overall length when determining implant size.

I see a lot of signatures with XX cm implant and X RTE. What does RTE mean? Apparently it adds to the length of the implant somehow....

tomas1

Re: How Does the Doctor Determine the Size of Your Implant?

Postby tomas1 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:48 pm

You pretty much know how it's done.
They measure the outer and inner dimensions, add them, and that's what they SHOULD use to get the cylinder and RTE sizes.
Don't assume you should expect to lose any length unless you have pre-existing conditions that affect the implant size.
Bottom line, don't expect that a competent doctor will leave you shortened.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

truckrglenn

Postby truckrglenn » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:15 pm

The nurse holds the base of ur penis with one hand and places her other hand over your scrotum. The Dr wraps twine around the head of your penis securing it with a granny knot.he then leans back as far as he can stretching your penis to it's full length. While stretching, the rep for the implant takes a measurement. If they feel that the Dr isn't pulling hard enough, they may put their hand on the Dr's chest and help by pushing him there back.

Note: An all cotton twine is used so as not to scratch the penis.
Glenn
AMS700 LGX 21cm x 12mm + 1cm RTE
October 6, 2020 - Dr. Hassan / Cool Springs, Tn

Sean762

Postby Sean762 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:21 pm

truckrglenn wrote:The nurse holds the base of ur penis with one hand and places her other hand over your scrotum. The Dr wraps twine around the head of your penis securing it with a granny knot.he then leans back as far as he can stretching your penis to it's full length. While stretching, the rep for the implant takes a measurement. If they feel that the Dr isn't pulling hard enough, they may put their hand on the Dr's chest and help by pushing him there back.

Note: An all cotton twine is used so as not to scratch the penis.

Thanks for the levity..... :lol:

Sean762

Postby Sean762 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:22 pm

tomas1 wrote:You pretty much know how it's done.
They measure the outer and inner dimensions, add them, and that's what they SHOULD use to get the cylinder and RTE sizes.
Don't assume you should expect to lose any length unless you have pre-existing conditions that affect the implant size.
Bottom line, don't expect that a competent doctor will leave you shortened.

What's an RTE?

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:46 pm

Sean762 wrote:What's an RTE?

Acronym List (with definitions of terms commonly used here) is to be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9123

RTE is Rear Tip Extender. Used to adjust length of the implant (implants come in discrete incremental sizes, and if you are in-between the "stock" sizes RTEs can adjust. Also, for positioning where the tubes (the skinny ones that transfer fluid, not the inflatable tubes that erect your penis) exit the incisions in your tunica albuginea. The exit point (incision point) has to match up with the point of attachment and the surgeon cannot determine that before making the incision.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:07 pm

Sean762 wrote:Searched but couldn't find any answer.

Search harder.

I spent a couple of weekends just reading through posts with interesting titles. It was time well spent, enabling me to understand the answers (and the questions) better.

Sean762 wrote:So just how does the surgeon determine what size implant he's going to use?

Is it determined on the table that day or can they calculate it off of your normal erect length?

The ONLY measurement that matters is the inside of your tunica. Think of it this way; would you choose a shoe to fit your foot by the EXTERIOR measure of the shoe? No, you would measure how your foot fits on the INSIDE of the shoe. In the case of an implant, the situation is reversed. You measure the inside of your tunica albuginea to find out the required length of the implant to fit inside it.
Sean762 wrote:Also, I'm reading but lacking understanding about the whole crura of the penis being the limiting factor. Is the implant longer than your actual erect length? So if you were 8" fully erect on your own (not in a VED device)....does that translate to a 20.3cm implant? I don't think it does....it seems like some of it is implanted behind the pubic bone from what I understand....so you'd need something larger...but how much larger...given that from what I gather you only end up with 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the length you went in with (this is to say nothing of the girth)? I don't think the two cylinders extend up into the head of the penis either....which may mean the length of your shaft is what's important, not the overall length when determining implant size.

The proximal measurement the surgeon takes from the incision to the bottom of the crura (crus) plus the distal measurement the surgeon takes (up into as far as your tunica extends into you glans) are added together to tell what size implant will fit into your space. (Refer back to my shoe fit analogy.) Note: RTEs are used to adjust the length of the implant if the un-extended implant is not exactly the right size.

So, you have some penis that is further out than the tip of the implant (1/4 inch to 3/4 inch of glans, I am guessing), depending on your particular penis and how aggressively your surgeon sizes you. And you have some of the implant buried in your pelvic crus. There is also the factor of the pad of flesh over your pelvic bone (most often referred to here as the "pelvic fat pad". Not important to the surgeon, but about the only thing that we (as the owner/operator of the penis) have any control over for adjusting the usable length of our erections.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:15 pm

Sean762 wrote:So just how does the surgeon determine what size implant he's going to use?

I thought I would give the short answer:

If you have seen videos of the operation (not for the queasy) you will see that, after the surgeon has opened up the interior of your penis (precisely, your corpora, the tunica albuginea) a measuring too is inserted into the incision and used to probe into your pelvic crus and the length noted. Then withdrawn and re-inserted to measure from the incision to the distal tip of the tunica. This is done quite energetically and is somewhat alarming to watch and contemplate it being done to one's own penis.

Put another way, the surgeon opens up your penis and rams a yardstick down and up.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Sean762

Postby Sean762 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:19 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:
Sean762 wrote:Searched but couldn't find any answer.

Search harder.

I spent a couple of weekends just reading through posts with interesting titles. It was time well spent, enabling me to understand the answers (and the questions) better.

The ONLY measurement that matters is the inside of your tunica. Think of it this way; would you choose a shoe to fit your foot by the EXTERIOR measure of the shoe? No, you would measure how your foot fits on the INSIDE of the shoe. In the case of an implant, the situation is reversed. You measure the inside of your tunica albuginea to find out the required length of the implant to fit inside it.
Sean762 wrote:Also, I'm reading but lacking understanding about the whole crura of the penis being the limiting factor. Is the implant longer than your actual erect length? So if you were 8" fully erect on your own (not in a VED device)....does that translate to a 20.3cm implant? I don't think it does....it seems like some of it is implanted behind the pubic bone from what I understand....so you'd need something larger...but how much larger...given that from what I gather you only end up with 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the length you went in with (this is to say nothing of the girth)? I don't think the two cylinders extend up into the head of the penis either....which may mean the length of your shaft is what's important, not the overall length when determining implant size.

The proximal measurement the surgeon takes from the incision to the bottom of the crura (crus) plus the distal measurement the surgeon takes (up into as far as your tunica extends into you glans) are added together to tell what size implant will fit into your space. (Refer back to my shoe fit analogy.) Note: RTEs are used to adjust the length of the implant if the un-extended implant is not exactly the right size.

So, you have some penis that is further out than the tip of the implant (1/4 inch to 3/4 inch of glans, I am guessing), depending on your particular penis and how aggressively your surgeon sizes you. And you have some of the implant buried in your pelvic crus. There is also the factor of the pad of flesh over your pelvic bone (most often referred to here as the "pelvic fat pad". Not important to the surgeon, but about the only thing that we (as the owner/operator of the penis) have any control over for adjusting the usable length of our erections.

I'm not going to apologize for a search engine that doesn't bring up seemingly common terms. That's not on me. If you have the time to read a weekend to get an answer to a basic question like how are implants sized....good for you.

I do sincerely appreciate the answers, but can do without the attitude that you're now receiving in kind.

aslanglobal

Postby aslanglobal » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:03 pm

I think the man is correct to have questions and ask in this forum. Unless you're into reading scientific/technical problems, it could be mysterious to understand. I know what my length was prior to surgery as I could hop out of bed and measure it before it immediately went down. It was slightly longer than the 14/8 division of cm that I saw in my fully 22 cm implant. That was definitely lower than my shaft length, although I did not take into account approximately 2 cm extra with my glans that the doc noted. My doctor basically told me to STFU (in a nice way) and that if I followed protocol and gentle VED, I would have it all back in 3 months. I've spoken to probably 2 dozen of the man's patients post-op and I'm going to trust it will all work out as suggested. :)

Delve as deep as you want before surgery. Not just you will benefit.
37, Implanted 8/10/21. 22 cm Titan, Dr. Tariq Hakky.

Return to “Implants”