Explain; why is it safe to fly and scuba dive with implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
aslanglobal

Explain; why is it safe to fly and scuba dive with implant?

Postby aslanglobal » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:13 am

I’m going to ask my doctor to explain this week, but can anyone tell me why you can fly in an airplane and scuba dive without complications? I’m pretty sure space travel is out lol but I dont think I’m on Elon’s list so not important. How can this possibly be tough enough to to deal with that pressure?
37, Implanted 8/10/21. 22 cm Titan, Dr. Tariq Hakky.

dg_moore

Re: Explain; why is it safe to fly and scuba dive with implant?

Postby dg_moore » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:23 am

Maybe because flying and diving are not harmful to implants?
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Agfa13

Postby Agfa13 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:51 am

---> Scratching his head....
Why would this even matter? An implant becomes part of your body, so unless you diving deep, then you worry, like for the rest of your body (the bends).
And unless you are going into Deep space....same precautions...
Ag, 58, Maryland
Document with BEFORE/after pics
AMS cx 24cm, Titan malleable, Titan Legacy on 3/2/20 (20cm/bilat 2cm RTE/ 75 cc)
Face pic on pg. 22: names and faces; dick pics on pg 7/41: Dick of day
Smaller dick, but can fuck without fail :lol: :D

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:02 pm

Agfa13 wrote:---> Scratching his head....
Why would this even matter? An implant becomes part of your body, so unless you diving deep, then you worry, like for the rest of your body (the bends).

Scratching also. I'm sure the implants are many times more durable than delicate lung tissue.
The fears, the anxiety concerns continually amaze me. Is anybody asking their dentist about crowns and/or fillings?
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:23 pm

Actually that's a good question. There are parts of an implant that mam not be able to take the pressure of scuba diving. I have a pace macker. It's made or metal but mine is only good for diving down tho just under 100'. Even though it's made of metal, and inside of my chest, the pressure of 80 +feet can cause it to distort and deform. That could lead to a malfunction. Yes the reservoir is inside but so is the pacemaker. By all rights the pressure could cause auto inflation. Not saying it would. Also the lack of pressure from flying could possibly cause expansion in the reservoir, also in the cylinders. Again, not saying it will. I would be interested in hearing what the Dr or manufacturer would have to say.
71. ED for about 10+ years to one extent or another. Implanted 9/14/2016 AMS CX 18+3 Fl/ Ky

aslanglobal

Postby aslanglobal » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:30 pm

My anxiety and paranoia are legendary, but considering repercussions, I think pretty appropriate. Plenty of people who fly across oceans have these implants, I just wondered about every little detail. I would love to learn to scuba dive, but having a family is a far bigger priority to me.

quote="Gt1956"]
Agfa13 wrote:---> Scratching his head....

Scratching also. I'm sure the implants are many times more durable than delicate lung tissue.
The fears, the anxiety concerns continually amaze me. Is anybody asking their dentist about crowns and/or fillings?[/quote]
37, Implanted 8/10/21. 22 cm Titan, Dr. Tariq Hakky.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:33 pm

I'd like to point out that lots of men fly back to their home states after getting an implant from some well known surgeons. The doctors are very well aware that their patients are going to fly within a few days of surgery.
If scuba diving was a concern. I'm sure that by using an experienced & competent implant surgeon that he'd mention any limited activities.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:15 pm

True, but still a good question. When I got my pacemaker I had to ask about diving. When I did the Dr didn't really have the answer because it's not asked that often, He had to get intouch with the manufacturer rep to get the answer. And the rep had to call the manufacturer to find out for sure.
I've done both this the implant, flew and dove with no issues, but it would still be interesting to know

71. ED for about 10+ years to one extent or another. Implanted 9/14/2016 AMS CX 18+3 Fl/ Ky

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:08 pm

aslanglobal wrote:I’m going to ask my doctor to explain this week, but can anyone tell me why you can fly in an airplane and scuba dive without complications? I’m pretty sure space travel is out lol but I dont think I’m on Elon’s list so not important. How can this possibly be tough enough to to deal with that pressure?

Because water is vey nearly incompressible.

More pressure (or less) on the outside of the implant's flexible components is equalized by the fact that the components are water-filled.

If there were air in the system the answer would be different.

Note that when pressure testing SCUBA tanks, they do not fill them with air. If an air-filled tank failed the pressure test it would likley destroy major parts of the room. They fill them with water and run up the pressure. If the tank faile, you either get a pnhole leak or the tank cracks open like a watermelon and you get several gallons of water just spill on the floor. You can also run up the pressure with water much faster than you could with a compressible medium, like air.

So, because your implant does not have air inside, going into a low pressure environment does not cause your reservoir or implant to expand, nor going into a high pressure environment does not cause your implant parts to compress down.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

rjdoan

Postby rjdoan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:52 pm

Thank you Lost Sheep--I was preparing to write nearly the same explanation.
Bob Doan
65 yo, Prostate Cancer - radiation therapy 2018, ED 20 years used pills, MUSE, trimix. Weekly testosterone injections for TRT. AMS 700 CX implanted Feb 12, 2021, 18/1, by Dr Herati, Johns Hopkins

Return to “Implants”