Any limit on how many revisions a man can have?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
considering89

Any limit on how many revisions a man can have?

Postby considering89 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 am

Hello,

Is there any limit on how many revisions a man can have?

For instance, if someone gets implanted at 30 years old and the implants last an avg of 5 years, they theoretically could require 8-10 revisions.

Is there a point at which the penis is "shot" from having so many revisions, or is this not a concern?

Has anyone ever asked this question of a good surgeon?

Tmansdorfer

Re: Any limit on how many revisions a man can have?

Postby Tmansdorfer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:34 am

I don’t think there is a limit as long as you are healthy and can heal after the surgery. I have had 7 surgeries in the last two years. The biggest issue for me has been infection which i had for the last year. I am currently waiting the three months to be reimplanted after everything settles down.
39 01/24/19 USC Dr Doumanian LGX 15cm 3, lGX 18 +2, revision 6-20 18+3 pump failure, revision 8-20 left cylinder in scrotum, 1-21 removed infection switched to dr Doyle, Boyd 10.05.21 a 15+3 cx,revision 01,23,24 with switch to LGX 15+6 fat pad removal.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:21 pm

considering89 wrote:Hello,

Is there any limit on how many revisions a man can have?

For instance, if someone gets implanted at 30 years old and the implants last an avg of 5 years, they theoretically could require 8-10 revisions.

Is there a point at which the penis is "shot" from having so many revisions, or is this not a concern?

Has anyone ever asked this question of a good surgeon?

I have not read of anyone asking a surgeon, but this question, when discussed before on Franktalk, focused mainly on the risk of infection being greater with each revision. The amount of increase is debatable (or even if there is any increase at all).

I would at least as concerned about loss of sensation. It is easy to damage nerves during implant surgery.

Sorry, I don't have links to the threads. I suggest doing a search on "infection" and then narrow the search to "revision".

I note that there is research showing that the service life of implants is more like 8-10 years and getting better as manufacturers incrementally produce better designs.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

wolfpacker

Postby wolfpacker » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:13 pm

I asked basically that question to both Dr Eid and a Dr at Johns Hopkins. I asked if you could eventually reach "end of the line", like if there could be some complication that could occur, now or in a future revision, where the surgeon would be unable to place any implant, and you'd just be left implantless for the rest of your life. They both responded no.
Early 30s with ED for years from penis enlargement stretching and jelqing. Implant by Dr Eid on 24 June 2021 with a Titan 24cm with +1cm RTE on one side and -1cm cut off on the other side

My journal: viewtopic.php?t=17202

LeRoastBeef

Postby LeRoastBeef » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:23 pm

We have to take into account that implant life expectancy has a non parametric distribution.
It's more bimodal, things generally either go wrong quickly after implantation, or last 8 to10 years.
That's my conclusion from reading here. The average is not that indicative of what to expect, the median would be better, although even then, so many variables with each patient.

I think a healthier attitude is that there are no gaurantees, we need it, best to use it when young and live life. No point in holding back on implantation when things don't work. Not logical to use your implant less so you can later.. Use it more...

My surgeon noted that I would need replacements, he knew that I knew, there want much else to say in the matter, so we said no more.
Implanted with AMS 700 lgx, 2021.
30's
UK

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:50 pm

LeRoastBeef wrote:We have to take into account that implant life expectancy has a non parametric distribution.
It's more bimodal, things generally either go wrong quickly after implantation, or last 8 to10 years.
That's my conclusion from reading here. The average is not that indicative of what to expect, the median would be better, although even then, so many variables with each patient.
I think a healthier attitude is that there are no gaurantees, we need it, best to use it when young and live life. No point in holding back on implantation when things don't work. Not logical to use your implant less so you can later.. Use it more...
My surgeon noted that I would need replacements, he knew that I knew, there want much else to say in the matter, so we said no more.

Probably not saying this correctly. Many people confuse the two phrases of average & median. My understanding is that median is the point where half last longer & half last less. You can argue that they are the same value but they aren't. It sure would be interesting to learn what the median is for the 3 main implant models in the USA are.
As stated above. I've read in the archives of men that have had a lot of revisions. One at 8 comes to mind. The trouble that I have is the word revision gets thrown around too easily. A full implant replacement is a lot different that getting a new pump.
Also to consider. Seems that some surgeons might be a little superstitious. I've read of several members that had a bad pump but their surgeon elected to replace the cylinders also. So in my mind that doesn't count as a bad implant cause the pump was the faulty item.
As always, I'm not in the medical field. I can be a victim of what I read. This is how I see op's question. Btw, this question seems to be on about a 4-6 month cycle. So it does worry some men. Almost makes me wonder if there is a group or web site spreading poor information.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

considering89

Postby considering89 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:48 pm

Gt1956,

Thank you. To clarify, I didn't read an article or anything stating that there is a "limit" on how many revisions can be done. The question just stems from the list of concerns I want to check off my mental list before getting an implant. I'm 31 and I expect to use my implant a lot. I'm not scared by revisions or even injections (as the % really is low) ... I just wondered, is there a limit on how many times the penis can be opened up and reimplanted? Does this start to reduce sensation over time? Etc.

I take comfort in another person's response that Eid stated there is no limit.

Thank you.

LeRoastBeef

Postby LeRoastBeef » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:43 pm

I didn't say that the median and mean are the same thing, quite the opposite.
That was the entire point I was making, which, given the follow up responses, was a waste of time.
30's
UK

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:17 pm

LeRoastBeef wrote:I didn't say that the median and mean are the same thing, quite the opposite.
That was the entire point I was making, which, given the follow up responses, was a waste of time.

I didn't think that you was confused. Quite the opposite.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

LeRoastBeef

Postby LeRoastBeef » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:37 am

Sorry, I think the pain of recovery has made me crabbit with the world.
Just realised its you, Gt1956, of all the people to fight with,apologies old chap.
30's
UK

Return to “Implants”