How to start conversation with partner

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
considering89

How to start conversation with partner

Postby considering89 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:56 am

Hello,

For those who got implanted while in a relationship (marriage or dating), how did you first bring up the topic of implants with your partner?

- How did you start the conversation?
- How did you explain implants?
- How did you sell the benefits?
- What questions/comments did your partner have?

I'm 31 and in a dating relationship of 4 months that will progress to engagement within several months. But open to thoughts/experiences from all implanted men. Thank you.

Old Guy

Re: How to start conversation with partner

Postby Old Guy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:13 am

Well my wife and I were married for 30+ years so my ED problem was well known by her. After the pills and injections stopped working and an implant was my only option left, I told her that our intimate times was something I didn't want to give up. After I visited with the surgeon we discussed it again now that I knew a bit about the surgery. I had not yet found FT, so the info here was not part of my knowledge yet.
Since my wife is so much younger than me I also wanted to continue to please her like a husband should. With ED depression my thoughts of being unable to satisfy her made me think she would seek sex elsewhere.
So my advice since you are in the early stages of your relationship is first tell her about your issue, if she doesn't know already. If children are in the future you will still be able to father them with the implant. But a lot of the final decision will be how she feels about your intimate times. Is the sex part important, or not? And most of all, give her time to talk about it and listen to what she says.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

considering89

Postby considering89 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:29 am

I just want to add a data point: Sex is monumentally important to both my girlfriend and me. She wants it all the time and so do I. If we could, we'd go multiple times, every single day.

ViaSwiss

Postby ViaSwiss » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 am

1. You are getting engaged way to fast. It all risk with no benefit that soon. Take it from me brother, I am going through the downside of that situation.

2. My advice is to be as open and frank about it as soon as your can. Do not sugarcoat it, do not make up half truths to make it seem less weird. Just be open and vulnerable. I regret trying to ease into the convos and making it seem different than it was. When you can get it out in the open 1. it takes tons of stress off you and 2. it really lets you see what kind of partner you are with. If they are supportive and 99%+ in your corner, then you know you got a good one. If they are not supportive or make you feel bad about the process or are unwilling to look into it anymore then you know you do not have someone you should spend more energy with.
Age 35. Venous Leakage & Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) since age 18.
Original Implant | June 25, 2021 | 20cm Titan w 1.5cm & 1cm RTEs
Revision | November 16, 2021 | 26cm | Dr. Hakky

gene308

Postby gene308 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:52 am

I would start the conversation with: Pleasing and satisfying you in the bedroom is very important to as a partner, a lover and a man. I had a problem I owned it and had it fixed . I would like to tell you abou t.
Gene308 married 43 years AMS 700 CX 21cm+2cm Implanted 10/04/2018 Dr James Hotaling (surgeon) and Mariah McCafferty, (Surgical Nurse and AMS rep) , University of Utah

considering89

Postby considering89 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:58 am

Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

Just to clarify, the "conversation" I'm referring to is the conversation where you are NOT yet implanted but think it may be the right path. How did you talk to your partner about the possibility of an implant to get their thoughts (and hopefully support)?

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 am

I'd guess best case would be for you to tell her about possibly getting an implant.
It would help to educate her about the process like sharing posts from the younger people on this site.

The best case part would be for her to say she really didn't like you to keep using pills and other stuff.

One thing I can guarantee is that multiple sexual episodes daily would be no problem.
Now I have to convince my 80 year old wife that daily sex is normal.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:13 pm

considering89 wrote:Hello,

For those who got implanted while in a relationship (marriage or dating), how did you first bring up the topic of implants with your partner?

- How did you start the conversation?
- How did you explain implants?
- How did you sell the benefits?
- What questions/comments did your partner have?

I'm 31 and in a dating relationship of 4 months that will progress to engagement within several months. But open to thoughts/experiences from all implanted men. Thank you.

What does she know about your erectile difficulty? How knowledgeable and open-minded is she about sexual functions (physiology, alternative sex practices, etc.) ? Have you already been using other methods of erectile aids/treatments or had conversations with her about this?
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

considering89

Postby considering89 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:28 pm

Last edited by considering89 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wunhunglo

Postby wunhunglo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:00 pm

You are getting engaged way to fast. It all risk with no benefit that soon. Take it from me brother, I am going through the downside of that situation.

Although,unsolicited by the op, @viaswiss is right on the money—your money. Religous and societal beliefs aside, marriage is a financial contract HEAVILY skewed to the female.

With that said, follow @lostsheep’s advice. But before you start the conversation, make
sure you think through some tangible things you want to be different after the conversation and how to guide the conversation back if it goes sideways. I highly recommend the book “Crucial Conversations”

Good luck!
Implanted April 9th 2021(age 55) by Dr. Eid w/ 24 cm Titan
Activated Day 3; minimal swelling and discomfort for 3-4 weeks
Preop injection size: 17 cms length (slight press) & 15 1/2 cm girth
Post up w/max inflation: 17 cm length 14 cm girth

Return to “Implants”