Nitinol implants, Andrew Kramer

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
RichardTheFrog

Nitinol implants, Andrew Kramer

Postby RichardTheFrog » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:59 am

I had a pump implant put in by Dr. Andrew Kramer in March 2017. It still works fine. I couldn't be happier with it.

It's been a while since I've looked into this implant stuff. Have they invented nitinol implants yet?

https://www.bostonscientific.com/en-US/ ... hesis.html

Is this it? As much as I like my pump implant, I'd love to replace it with a nitinol one.

Is Dr. Andrew Kramer still doing surgeries? After calling and searching, I saw he stopped working at a place after testifying in a rape trial back in late 2017.

But his Twitter says he's doing implants as of 2020. Anybody know?
Implanted by Dr. Andrew Kramer 2/22/17. 18 cm AMS LGX with 2 cm RTE's (total 20cm).

Activated 3/11/17. Best decision I've ever made.

Lost Sheep

Re: Nitinol implants, Andrew Kramer

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:50 pm

The Tactra implant your link connects to is a simple malleable, not the nitinol "memory metal" pumpless, erecting implant still in trials (last I heard, in 2019, animal trials with cadaver trials in late 2019 or 2020, as I recall)

As far as I know, Dr. Kramer is still doing surgeries but getting in contact with him has been problematic for some members. I suggest contacting

1) Maryland State Certification Board for Urologists
2) Boston Scientific or Coloplast. He certainly would be in their list of approved implanters.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

RichardTheFrog

Postby RichardTheFrog » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:The Tactra implant your link connects to is a simple malleable, not the nitinol "memory metal" pumpless, erecting implant still in trials (last I heard, in 2019, animal trials with cadaver trials in late 2019 or 2020, as I recall)

As far as I know, Dr. Kramer is still doing surgeries but getting in contact with him has been problematic for some members. I suggest contacting

1) Maryland State Certification Board for Urologists
2) Boston Scientific or Coloplast. He certainly would be in their list of approved implanters.

I think I found him in Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

If that's not the nitinol implant, then why does it say "silicon over nitinol" in the description? Do you know where I can look to keep updated on the progress of the nitinol implant?
Implanted by Dr. Andrew Kramer 2/22/17. 18 cm AMS LGX with 2 cm RTE's (total 20cm).

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:51 pm

RichardTheFrog wrote:If that's not the nitinol implant, then why does it say "silicon over nitinol" in the description? Do you know where I can look to keep updated on the progress of the nitinol implant?

Sure, there is nitinol in the implant (according to the announcement), which also says "When not in use for sex, the implant can be manually pushed down for concealment, for a discreet, natural appearance". Clearly suggesting that the implant does not use the temperature-activated "memory metal" temperature sensitivity of the nitinol, but only its malleability (ability to maintain a shape into which it is bent, but not ability to return to an original shape when it cools)
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:56 pm

This 2019 announcement is more specific about the Nitinol core being MANUALLY shaped for intercourse or stowage.

https://www.biospace.com/article/boston ... rosthesis/

The easy-to-use implant is manually lifted up for intercourse and manually pushed down when not in use.

For more, read this thread"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6627&p=42821

Search the forum (and medical journal articles on the internet) for more on the terms you will find in the threads, "Memory Metal" "Heat-Activated Penile Implant" and such.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:01 pm

Hey, RichardTheFrog. Nice to have you back. I enjoyed your posts and insights in the past.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

NumbNoodle

Postby NumbNoodle » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:26 pm

thanks for this interesting hint RichardTheFrog, i instantly looked up this topic.
It seems to be a material that becomes hard and expands in length and girth when heated.

In theory this has the advantages of the inflatable- and the semi-rigid- implants without the disadvantages:
mechanical reliability from the semi-rigid-implant due to its mechanical simplicity.
protection from erosion from the inflatable implant due to its ability to expand and shrink.

impotentredditor

Postby impotentredditor » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:58 pm

But you'd need to use an external device to get erections, whereas an inflatable implant is more self contained.

Also, one advantage of an inflatable implant is that you can keep erect for however long you want to. This won't be possible with the memory metal implant.
26 year old with lifelong venous leak. Hoping to get an implant soon.

RichardTheFrog

Postby RichardTheFrog » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:40 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:
RichardTheFrog wrote:If that's not the nitinol implant, then why does it say "silicon over nitinol" in the description? Do you know where I can look to keep updated on the progress of the nitinol implant?

Sure, there is nitinol in the implant (according to the announcement), which also says "When not in use for sex, the implant can be manually pushed down for concealment, for a discreet, natural appearance". Clearly suggesting that the implant does not use the temperature-activated "memory metal" temperature sensitivity of the nitinol, but only its malleability (ability to maintain a shape into which it is bent, but not ability to return to an original shape when it cools)

I thought the heat of your hand was what allowed you to shape the metal.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:58 pm

RichardTheFrog wrote:
Lost Sheep wrote:

I thought the heat of your hand was what allowed you to shape the metal.

104 Degrees Fahrenheit has been mentioned as the phase-change temperature. Attained by holding a device (wand) that emanates a magnetic field of some kind.

I still wonder what happens if you spend any time in a sauna, or in Yuma, Arizona.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Return to “Implants”