For those over 1 year with implant: How often do you inflate? Just for use or more often?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Quincy

For those over 1 year with implant: How often do you inflate? Just for use or more often?

Postby Quincy » Thu May 20, 2021 2:18 pm

My doctor gave me solid input regarding cycling (inflating) for the first 6 months to a year, especially if I wanted to see some growth. He told me to inflate 4 times a day, for a half hour each. I did that for about 6 months, but only sporadically after that. I still try to cycle it up several times a week, though usually not more than once a day. I don't know if there is any medical reason to cycle it for anything but use.

I have heard that most men get erections multiple times a day (often during sleep) before ED, but I don't know if men with implants would get any benefit from being erect frequently.

I have also heard that you should "use" your erection and ejaculate somewhat frequently for good prostate health. No idea if this still applies for men with implants, or for those, like me, with irradiated prostates. Thoughts?

Quincy
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Txagq8

Re: For those over 1 year with implant: How often do you inflate? Just for use or more often?

Postby Txagq8 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:40 pm

17 months in.

I had a visit to the urologist last week. It was time to renew my TRT, look at my PSA (1.0 at age 65), evaluate my blood donation schedule (test C shots tend to jazz up my red blood cell count) and get the finger up the butt.

They also asked how I was liking the implant.

I told them the loss of length (less than 1/4”) wasn’t bad but I did miss the 1/2” of girth (from 6” to 5 1/2”). I told them I was doing my best to wear this one out as quick as I could and maybe try a Titan next time for it’s alleged better girth properties.

They were glad to hear I was using it (a lot) but reminded me to keep cycling. Pump until I feel some stretch was the advice I received.

On a different question (which some guys on here told me to ask next Urology visit) the P A couldn’t give me an answer as to why I ended up with a nice, natural looking upward curve after IPP. His best guess it was a combination of my anatomy, the size of the implant components (18+5), location of tubing, and luck that caused my end result to look like what I had beforehand.
Robust, adolescent 65 year old. Venous leakage forever. Used shots, shots+pills 30+ years. Married to same wife ~35 yrs. Implanted 31Dec2019 in Austin Tx. AMS 700 LGX 18 cm with 5 cm RTE.

FMLFML85

Postby FMLFML85 » Thu May 20, 2021 4:22 pm

Last edited by FMLFML85 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strongagain

Re: For those over 1 year with implant: How often do you inflate? Just for use or more often?

Postby strongagain » Thu May 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Daily 2-3 hours. When in bed before going up.
Born in 1950, ED since 2007 (colon cancer)
08/2015 Titan Zero Degree 22 cm + 3 cm RTE
Dr. Leiber, Freiburg, Germany
6.5" x 5.7" - Very happy with implant

Living in Freiburg, Germany

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Thu May 20, 2021 8:06 pm

I got a Titan in 2008 but never used it due to health issues (see my signature). In the intervening years I inflated it every few months for a couple of minutes and until last September it showed no sign of problems. I have no idea why it quit working, but I nonetheless don't think there is any reason to worry about frequency of inflation.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Thu May 20, 2021 9:35 pm

I pump it up every other day or so just to admire it. I don't know how pumping it up would be the same as natural blood flow prior to ED. I have also wondered if the blood flow thing is needed now.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Lunatech

Postby Lunatech » Fri May 21, 2021 7:58 am

I'm just over 2 years and I usually pump at least once a day if nothing else just to enjoy the fact I can get an erection now. Sometimes I just walk around the house fully pumped and that usually leads to more enjoyable activities with my wife :D . Being able to get an erection and keep it as long as desired it one of the best feelings in the world.

I pumped much more frequently in the first year and got back all my size so early on I do think pumping frequently early on helps. Also I pump fully and after about 5 minutes I try to "top it off" by trying to pump a little more. Not sure if this does anything or not but I know I'm rock hard so there's that LOL.
49 years old at time of implant, Suffering from ED 10+ years, Implant surgery 2/28/19 AMS 700 LGX 18cm with 4cm RTE by Dr. Terlecki at WFBMC in Winston Salem NC

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Fri May 21, 2021 1:08 pm

About 18 months out from my implant. Cycling was something I was unaware of until I found FT at 5 months post. My uro just told me to go home and "use it". I didn't cycle for 5 months following surgery, and lost maybe an inch in length. A reaction to the antibiotics also kept me from inflating often as it would cause a sunburned sensation along my shaft. Basically until the 6th month I inflated for sex only, then that sensation went away. Then I began to cycle daily, after 2 months the only gain was about 1/8" in length.
These days I live with what I got, and happy to get an erection. Still able to make the wife happy and that's what counts.
It's once a week now for sex with the wife, and usually once a week to masturbate.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri May 21, 2021 1:25 pm

Old Guy wrote:About 18 months out from my implant. Cycling was something I was unaware of until I found FT at 5 months post. My uro just told me to go home and "use it". I didn't cycle for 5 months following surgery, and lost maybe an inch in length. A reaction to the antibiotics also kept me from inflating often as it would cause a sunburned sensation along my shaft. Basically until the 6th month I inflated for sex only, then that sensation went away. Then I began to cycle daily, after 2 months the only gain was about 1/8" in length.
These days I live with what I got, and happy to get an erection. Still able to make the wife happy and that's what counts.
It's once a week now for sex with the wife, and usually once a week to masturbate.

Please read this thread (if you have not seen it before)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16509

and print out and share this article with your surgeon.

This article refers to the differences that early activation (EA) vs no early activation (NEA) of the inflatable prosthesis
Title" Pseudo-capsule “coffin” effect: How to prevent penile retraction after implant of three-piece inflatable prosthesis
Authors: Enrico Caraceni, Lilia Utizi, Giovanni Angelozzi; Department of Urology, Civitanova Marche Hospital, Italy.
Short Summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25017596
Longer summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25017596
with this sentence: "The result is a penis bigger in flaccid state but smaller in erect phase, when early activation is not performed"
Full article: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... prosthesis

This article was obviously translated from the original Italian, so there may be some grammar issues to overlook.

And this thread might be of interest: "Over what timespan does Scar Tissue form post-op? (And can it be reversed)?"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11379&p=97430

I believe your surgeon may have done you a disservice by not informing you about the advantages of regular inflation of your implant (and the benefits of pre-implant erections by Vacuum Erection Device - no constriction ring, just for therapy).

If you inform your surgeon of that omission, you may benefit future patients.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

will1948

Postby will1948 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:37 pm

I cycle 4 to 5 times per week for about 45 minutes. Sex maybe once every 2 weeks. I enjoy having a full erection anytime I want it. Glad to be away from the pills and injections.

Normal size has almost fully returned.
Age 72, married 36 years. Tried pills, vacuum device, injections all failed eventually. Titan Coloplast 26cm implanted May 2020, Dr. Raphael Carrion, USF.

Return to “Implants”