Smoking/vaping before and after surgery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Enzo11

Smoking/vaping before and after surgery

Postby Enzo11 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:35 pm

Has anyone had the surgery that smokes in my case vape I’m sure it has to do with nicotine. Is it that big of a deal? I have no medical issues other than why I’m here. Just curious it’ll be extremely hard not to.
40 years old from NY. Suffering for 5/6 years All pills,injections, shock wave, prp shot, pumps failed or stop working. VL recently confirmed. Implanted 5/21/21 Dr Eid

SteveSW

Re: Smoking/vaping before and after surgery

Postby SteveSW » Tue May 18, 2021 5:17 pm

In my case, I got a serious amount of grief from my surgeon. He detailed all of the problems a smoker can encounter, particularly with a slower, more problematic recovery. Then I got it again from the anesthesiologist. My recovery did go fine, and right on schedule, but I wonder if it might have been even easier if I wasn't a smoker.
20 years of severe Peyronie's plaque, 90 curve, hinging and ED. Cost me 1.5" L and 1" G.
Implanted 2/18/21, AMS CX, 18 CM + 3 RTE, penoscrotal. Have gained 3/4". Gay, married, age 68.

Enzo11

Postby Enzo11 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:20 pm

SteveSW wrote:In my case, I got a serious amount of grief from my surgeon. He detailed all of the problems a smoker can encounter, particularly with a slower, more problematic recovery. Then I got it again from the anesthesiologist. My recovery did go fine, and right on schedule, but I wonder if it might have been even easier if I wasn't a smoker.

Got it. Appreciate it. I mean I don’t think there’s no way I’m not going to but I will limit to bare minimal.
40 years old from NY. Suffering for 5/6 years All pills,injections, shock wave, prp shot, pumps failed or stop working. VL recently confirmed. Implanted 5/21/21 Dr Eid

Txagq8

Postby Txagq8 » Tue May 18, 2021 11:26 pm

This is a good question.

I’m not sure it’s the nicotine that’s so bad. I’d place more blame on the Carbon Monoxide in smoke.

Note. I’m not a doctor, I don’t play one on TV, so I’m speaking strictly from personal expetience.

I’m 65. I’m REALLY active. Maybe a bit too active. Since age 56 I’ve had 7 surgeries: an umbilical hernia, 2 epigastric hernias, an inguinal hernia, 2 rotator cuffs (both sides had two full thickness tears, on one side I’d torn the bicep off the bone) and of course a bionic dick.

I’m omitting the one where they knocked me out to go up my urethra with some sort of lasso made of wire and drag out a kidney stone the size of a grape.

The bottom line is after these procedures, within a day or two I was pretty much healed. Sure, I had to cancel the daily gym trips for a while, and I got an FFA kid from the high school to feed livestock rather than carry 50# feed sacks until the doc said I was cleared. But I healed up quick. No need for pain killers. (Well, a few after the kidney stone). But healing took very little time. Even with the rotator cuffs I was working out with weight restrictions 6 weeks after surgery.

I attribute all this good fortune to not smoking. But I can’t say I don’t get a good blast of nicotine. I’ve chewed tobacco/dipped snuff for 52 years.

I would urge any guy fixing to go bionic to swear off the cigarettes in order to give himself the best shot at a quick and complete recovery. It probably wouldn’t hurt to be in great physical condition when you hop up on the table either, but not everybody has the luxury of time to walk, run, hit the gym for several months.
Robust, adolescent 65 year old. Venous leakage forever. Used shots, shots+pills 30+ years. Married to same wife ~35 yrs. Implanted 31Dec2019 in Austin Tx. AMS 700 LGX 18 cm with 5 cm RTE.

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 am

Been a smoker for 50+ years. Smoked on my way to surgery, lit one up following surgery a minute after they put me in the car. Yes I know it's a bad habit, and tried to quit so many times I've lost count. I know it delays the healing process.
I wish every smoker could quit, and I harp on all my grandkids to never touch them. Bottom line, the nicotine should not affect the surgery, just the healing time. (Although if you smell like smoke the doc may say something)
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Thu May 20, 2021 1:37 am

I smoke cigars only. I only puff and do not inhale so I do not know how much difference that makes. I stopped for my first surgery but started up afterwards. For my recent surgery I smoked the night before and the night after my surgery and have seen no difference. I do also like to drink a good Bourbon but have not done so for months. I am coming up on my 6 week post op visit.

I always liked the movie line from a western that went something like this, "I want a good bottle of whisky, a good cigar, and a steak, Served by one of them painted ladies wearing nothing but a smile." My choice would be Bulleit bourbon, Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story cigar, and to quote another movies line for the steak, "knock the snot off it's nose, wipe it's ass and set it down right here." For the lady wearing only a smile, would be one who likes to ride.

Some things in life are worth it for each of us. The short story is my special occasion smoke and Bandidos Smooth n' Sweet my main stay. Same with Bulleit Bourbon and Evan Williams Black label a very good affordable regular.

Thing is I get some really good nicotine from the cigar with just puffing. If you are worried about inhaling and problems with your lungs it may be an option. My doctors do not give me any grief about cigar smoking. So it seems they are a fair bit less concerned about it than cigarretes.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Thu May 20, 2021 7:31 am

Smoking any time is a bad idea.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu May 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Enzo11 wrote:Has anyone had the surgery that smokes in my case vape I’m sure it has to do with nicotine. Is it that big of a deal? I have no medical issues other than why I’m here. Just curious it’ll be extremely hard not to.

dg_moore wrote:Smoking any time is a bad idea.

There is evidence that smoking contributes to E.D. Nicotine constricts blood vessels and encourages cholesterol to become plaque. Lowers blood flow to heart and other organs, including the penis.

Blood flow is MIGHTILY important to healing.

If you cannot stop altogether, what you suggested about cutting down is good. Better would be to cease entirely a couple days before surgery and for a couple weeks after...as much as you can manage.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Return to “Implants”