Implant cost- lifetime warranty

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
wolfpacker

Implant cost- lifetime warranty

Postby wolfpacker » Mon May 03, 2021 8:25 pm

I'm going to be paying out of pocket for the implant surgery, probably with Dr Eid, and according to his prices given to me the cost of the device itself is about $8k. I have heard that the devices have a lifetime warranty; does that mean that in the future for revisions I should never have to pay that $8k again? I got some confusing info from the lady who answered the phone at Dr Eid's office, she was saying that the implant may or may not be covered under warranty depending on whether a new model has come out different from the one you got, or whether Coloplast was able to verify that the implant did indeed fail or something. But then she kinda backtracked and said yes the cost usually is covered.

Has anyone ever paid cash for a revision surgery and been charged again for a new implant?
Early 30s with ED for years from penis enlargement stretching and jelqing. Implant by Dr Eid on 24 June 2021 with a Titan 24cm with +1cm RTE on one side and -1cm cut off on the other side

My journal: viewtopic.php?t=17202

SW0110

Re: Implant cost- lifetime warranty

Postby SW0110 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:20 pm

There are warranty documents on each site. They are written in legalese and definitely give the company an out if they really want one.

The no problem warranty is normally if failure is quick. Say within a year. They have statements in their literature that really can be confusing. One part says the device has to be sent to them for analysis. They will evaluate and send one to doc if covered. I wonder how that works or does their rep look it over at surgery. Or do you pay first then they reimburse if it is found to be a mfg. Defect.

Just real confusing. Probably the best bet I would imagine is if a high volume surgeon does it and knows what causes what failures. That is probably the best route to a warranty covered replacement. Then you still pay te doc. The anesthesiologist. The hospital or surgery center. That is not covered unless you can show the device caused you a lot of problems.

Infection was not covered. You get infected and they remove it. That is on you unless doc can work something out.

Then they say if it has been abused it is not covered. Not sure how that works.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm

Having complications with a device like infection should be covered with insurance even with an exclusion for penile implant. There are some really good doctors on Surgeo. They have insurance for the first year post op. But that is also dealing with a company that will be reluctant to pay.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Insurance is totally different. My revision cost me almost nothing. Pulled titan out and threw it out. Put in ams at just under 1 year from initial implant of the titan.

Warranty coverage was never even brought up. Implant failed, they covered a new one, whichever one doc put in. Warranty was never mentioned by anyone.

I figure it is going to be more of an issue for self pay individuals.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Tortão

Postby Tortão » Tue May 04, 2021 5:41 pm

What if Coloplast or AMS gets a new breakthrough model? Probably it won't be covered, right?

The representative I talked to said I'd get the most advanced model at the time I need revision, but I really don't know if this is true. Imagine they create a new model much more expensive (like one with bluetooth, lol)
1993 born. Brazil.
Peyronies since Sep 2019.
Penis developed curvature, lots of plaque, loss of size and axial rigidity. Severe peyronie.
Mar/21 Titan Touch 20 cm + 1.5 RTE.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Tortão wrote:What if Coloplast or AMS gets a new breakthrough model? Probably it won't be covered, right?
The representative I talked to said I'd get the most advanced model at the time I need revision, but I really don't know if this is true. Imagine they create a new model much more expensive (like one with bluetooth, lol)

There is a chance that it would not be an all or nothing warranty. I suspect they might give you a nice discount before they'd charge you full price for the newest model. Maybe prorate it against the years short of the expected life span. Lots of possibilities could happen. Maybe it is something that you could negotiate with them? Just my opinion.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

barrylandon

Postby barrylandon » Wed May 05, 2021 1:33 am

If there is at least one good thing to say about being 65+ is that Medicare covers most of the cost of an original implantation as well as revisions. Supplemental or secondary insurance will pick up the balance.
Implanted 5/6/20 by Dr. Jesse Mills at UCLA; AMS 700 LGX 18 cm w/2 cm RTEs. I'm 76 & fit but had ED for 20 years. Pills/injections ultimately failed, including 3 ER trips for Priapism; Shockwave & embryonic stem cell therapies didn't help either.

Return to “Implants”