For Those on Blood Thinners

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
KenJ1947

For Those on Blood Thinners

Postby KenJ1947 » Sun May 02, 2021 3:39 pm

Just something to think about...

After finding blood clots on the occasions of two surgeries and developing blood clots on both lungs, an oncologist/hematologist found that I have a genetic situation. As he simply put it, two genes control clotting, one controls clotting and the other UNclotting. My unclotting gene is the problem. So, I take Coumadin--warfarin, rat poison, or whatever it's called. There are other conditions that require blood thinners and other type of thinners.

Before things such as dental work and surgeries, you stop taking the thinners 5-7 days before the procedure. The "trick" is how and when to restart AND whether to use what's called a bridge, such as levonox, before going back full bore on the thinners.

My implant doc told me not to take thinners in case bleeding redeveloped. However, I don't have a problem clotting. Because I don't unclot properly, I developed hematomas in my left scrotal sac. When he discovered it, he told me to restart my thinners. Problem is getting resolved. My regular doc has followed me for 7-8 years. I should have had them connect with each other on post surgical care, especially the thinners.

If you take blood thinners, be sure you have the doc you see regularly and the surgeon talk about it and let you know what is best for you.
Married 50+ years, 75, ED for 10 years.

Dr Mark Allen, Plano, TX. Surgery at Baylor, Scott and White Frisco, TX. AMS 700 CX MS, 24 cm + 2 cm RTEs x 2.4 cm tubes, 100 ml reservoir.

4 grandkids (son 25, daughter 23, son 21, daughter 7).

Return to “Implants”