How Long Before Getting an Implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Julios

How Long Before Getting an Implant

Postby Julios » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:16 pm

I had a radical prostatectomy about a month ago, and because I had a Gleason 9 tumor, a substantial amount of nerves had to be removed. From what I've read and what my doctor tells me, I'm unlikely to ever have erections except what can be achieved with injections and pumps. From what I've read I think an implant is likely to be the answer for me. The question I have is how long must I wait before insurance will agree, and help pay for it? Currently my insurance suggests I need to wait at least 2 years. I can't imagine that! Has anyone gotten insurance to cover it in less time than that?
Age 54
RP July 2010. All nerves spared on right, 25% on left
Pathology: T3b, Gleas 9, Pos Margins, EPE
Currently on ADT
Using Trimix successfully: 0.08ml; 20MCG Alprostadil 1MG Phentolamine 30MG/ML Papaverine

jackpTenn

Re: How Long Before Getting an Implant

Postby jackpTenn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:19 pm

My Doctor is Dr. Douglas Milam at Vanderbilt. I did not have PCa but peyronies. I know several PCa patients that have been to him. He disagrees and says that if erections have not returned in one year than an implant is in order.

Jackp
Peyronies 1995
Penile Implant 10/08
Dr. Douglas Milam @ Vanderbilt
Normal Again

Julios

Re: How Long Before Getting an Implant

Postby Julios » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks Jackp. That is encouraging. I hope he can convince the insurance folks. And I hope to get it done before its even more difficult to get anything out of my insurance.

best wishes
Age 54
RP July 2010. All nerves spared on right, 25% on left
Pathology: T3b, Gleas 9, Pos Margins, EPE
Currently on ADT
Using Trimix successfully: 0.08ml; 20MCG Alprostadil 1MG Phentolamine 30MG/ML Papaverine

Return to “Implants”