Implanted and working through recovery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Harvey750

Implanted and working through recovery

Postby Harvey750 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:49 pm

Got my implant on 7 Apr 21 by Dr. Dean Knoll in Nashville. He also performed Peyronie’s surgery on me about 1½ years ago. I still remember when a couple nurses in different departments told me (unsolicited) that patients from around the world have traveled to him for help. Same thing happened this time, too. Although he does not have the Internet presence of other doctors frequently mentioned on franktalk, he is “high volume” and has a dedicated surgical team. He seems very enthusiastic about his work, and is patient in answering any and all questions. He is an infrapubic advocate and recommends the AMS products. Possible downside is Dr. Knoll is backing off on his hours and is only doing penile “reconstruction” now. He is also training his Urologist son Paul (as he has trained others) with full retirement on the horizon sometime sooner or later. If you are looking for a doctor and live in mid-Tennessee, northern Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi, or southwestern Kentucky, you can make contact through Urology Associates in Nashville.

Day 0
I was out cold with General Anesthesia, but I think all the prep and the procedure itself took less than an hour. I don’t even remember waking up in the recovery room. Dr. Knoll called my wife after the procedure and was excited about the outcome. He told her the “hourglass” problem was taken care of. I later learned that I got an AMS CX with 21 cm cylinders with a 1 cm Rear Tip Extenders. The overnight at the hospital (we live 80 miles from Nashville) was uncomfortable with a Foley catheter, two drains, and compression sleeves on my calves that were continually pumping up and down. Had to sleep on my back, which I am not good at. Nurses were great, even though they interrupted what little sleep I was getting throughout the night.

Day +1
The next morning, my nurse removed the catheter and made sure I could stand and use the bathroom. Peeing on my own right after surgery was not easy. I could feel the need, but could only manage a slight spray instead of a steady stream. Later, Dr. Knoll came by to check on my incisions and answer any questions I had. He also explained that he left me partially pumped up after the surgery, and he released a bit of the fluid to make me a little more flaccid for getting dressed and going home. That was NOT fun! He has a six-week cycling plan, and is a proponent of beginning the process just as soon as the patient can tolerate using he pump. After a week, I am cleared for warm/hot baths, so I will begin to explore my pump then. Just before the doctor left, he said I could get up and walk the floor to help drain any remaining fluid. Walking was no problem for me, but getting out of and back into bed was uncomfortable.

At 11:00 in the morning, the nurse removed the two drains and IV, and then cleared me to leave.

When getting back home, I filled a prescription for hydrocodone/acetaminophen and an antibiotic. I took two extra-strength Tylenol thinking perhaps I could do without the narcotic. I also continued the ice packs begun in the hospital. Peeing continued to be a problem — strong urge, little action. Getting out of and back into my recliner was painful. Late in the afternoon, I felt warm so I took my temperature which was 98.8°. At bedtime, my temp was up to 99.7°. I gave up and took a hydrocodone tablet. Overnight, getting into and out of bed was painful, as was moving onto my side for sleeping.

Day +2
Continued with hydrocodone and feel much better. Incision and drain bandage came off and I noticed significant swelling there. I took a very warm, almost hot shower, which felt oh so good. The peeing is working much better, too. Temp is down to 99°, but I usually run a bit cool in the high 97’s.

Summary
Have patience, and take it one day at a time, I have frequently read here. Every experience is unique, but I offer mine here in the hopes it will help someone. Please reply with questions if you have any, or you can also PM me.
72 yo. Married 35 yrs to 2nd wife. Peyronie's surgery for 70°curve Sep 2018 by Dean Knoll in Nashville. Implanted on 7 Apr 2021 with AMS 700 CX by Dr. Knoll. Cylinders are 21 cm with 1 cm RTE's.

Blah1109

Re: Implanted and working through recovery

Postby Blah1109 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Congrats that everything went by well!!! I ll be next in a month

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Congrats on a successful surgery! Wish I could have had mine done in the hospital and stay overnight. Mine was outpatient and I had to come home with the drain and catheter, then remove them myself next morning. Doc left me inflated to around 60% and had to keep it that way for almost 6 weeks because I was way to sore to let him do it at my first follow up visit. Dressing was a chore. Peeing was also a chore for a while, most of the time I would sit otherwise the walls and toilet would probably get wet. Once hot baths were OK'd by doc that would be my morning routine for a few months.
Your summary is correct, give it time. It was around month 5 before I felt good again.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

rjdoan

Postby rjdoan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:17 pm

Welcome to the cool kids club. Take it one day at a time and follow doctors orders. ICE, ICE, ICE!! I iced 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off except when sleeping for four days and it worked great! Remember the prize is at the end--but it takes a journey to get there. I am eight weeks post-implant surgery today--and loving life.
Bob Doan
65 yo, Prostate Cancer - radiation therapy 2018, ED 20 years used pills, MUSE, trimix. Weekly testosterone injections for TRT. AMS 700 CX implanted Feb 12, 2021, 18/1, by Dr Herati, Johns Hopkins

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Sounds like it's going very well for you. Grats!

It's great that you will be cleared for hot baths after just a week. For me, that was the most relief I got during the early weeks. It's counterintuitive, as we all hear use ice to reduce swelling, not heat. And the ice is excellent. I spent much of the first week with an ice back on each side of my junk and one on my abdomen on top of the surgical cut (I was also infrapubic). But for some reason, the enveloping heat is just WONDERFUL. It loosens everything up in the sack, relieves some of the packed feeling, and just feels great. In the tub is where you'll have the easiest time finding the deflate button or, when cleared by your doctor, pumping up. It makes the bulb a little less stiff and easier to pump.

Patience is the key word for the next several weeks. Whatever you read here, make sure you ask your doctor before you do anything.

Welcome to the club.
Q.
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Markc2008

Postby Markc2008 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:10 pm

This is good feedback. I live just south of Nashville about 30 miles and I’m starting the process of looking into an implant. So he is considered high volume? I want the best chance of keeping my length.

boots1959

Postby boots1959 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:50 pm

Using ice helped my recovery. Also placing a rolled up hand towel or similiar under the scrotum while sitting or laying on my back made me feel a lot more comfortable a well.
Implanted AMS 700 lgx, Jan 15th 2021. 18cm with 3cm rte.

Harvey750

Postby Harvey750 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:00 am

Day +3
Everything was going as expected, I guess, but at the end of the day, and it seemed "all of a sudden", my scrotum had doubled in size. I was icing "as directed" which was minimal directions, "20 minutes every couple hours or so." I don't know if ice should prevent swelling, but the swelling sure got ahead of me. Rjdoan, I will try more frequent icing up to your "20 mins on - 20 mins off" regimen.

Blah1109, best wishes to you next month.

Quincy, looking forward to hot baths because the shower sure felt good.

Markc2008, yes, my impression is that Knoll is high volume. Give UA a call and be sure to ask about volume numbers.

Thanks, all, for your replies. Everyone who gets an implant has to go through with it the first time (and perhaps the only time). Hearing about your experiences is invaluable.
72 yo. Married 35 yrs to 2nd wife. Peyronie's surgery for 70°curve Sep 2018 by Dean Knoll in Nashville. Implanted on 7 Apr 2021 with AMS 700 CX by Dr. Knoll. Cylinders are 21 cm with 1 cm RTE's.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:59 am

Rest and heal quickly my friend. Best of luck to you going forward with this.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Cajun Jeff

Postby Cajun Jeff » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 am

Sounds like your doing very well. Yep you will get swelling. Like someone said. Possibly ice a bit more. My Dr said 20 min on 20 min off. At about a week I started alternating ice and heating pad. Felt great to me.

Good luck.
68 years old, Married 48 years. Prostate Cancer surgery 11 years ago. Tried Pills, VED, moved to injections (EdEx) for past 6 years. Implanted with AMS 700 LGX by Dr Hellstrom in New Orleans at Tulane Medical. 1/13/20

Return to “Implants”