Implanted and working through recovery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Harvey750

Re: Implanted and working through recovery

Postby Harvey750 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am

Post Op Day 8 — Attempted deflation

Past few days have consisted of lots of rest, icing, and watching hairs grow back. Lots of colors, many of which have started to dissipate. Balls started to itch, and gentle rubbing/scratching helped. Otherwise surgical area still tender.

Today is the day the doctor cleared me for hot baths, so I was eagerly looking forward to it along with some trepidation. With assumed skin relaxing, through I would try the deflate button and then the pump. Have to admit, I thought the pain level might be too much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Lost Sheep, if you are listening, you were my guide with respect to the process. Beginning with partial inflation of my AMS 700 CX set by the doctor at the hospital, I found the deflate button, and pushed as hard as I could and as deeply as I could. No screaming resulted, although I can’t say it was the most pleasurable experience.

I did not “feel a click or pop” (valve kicking over to deflate position), so not sure if there was enough pressure in the cylinders. I also tried squeezing my penis to try to deflate more, assuming the button was depressed enough. It was not evident to me that there was much, if any deflation, but there could have been.

Next, I tried squeezing and releasing the pump bulb quickly and firmly, then proceed to try four slower squeezes. Thought there was some inflation, but not positive anything was going on. For those of you with an AMS prosthesis, you may have received a pump replica attached to a key ring with a credit card-sized instructions. I mentioned to my doctor that I hoped the real pump would be a lot easier to squeeze. He assured me that is was, but . . . I’m not sure. I read in some post that the hot bath water might soften it up.

All-in-all, I was happy about the lack of pain, so I will try again tomorrow to see if I can figure out the deflation/inflation process.

For what it’s worth, following is my doctor’s cycling process. I am trying to get started on week 1.

* 1st week: Inflate the device and immediately deflate the device once a day
* 2nd week: Inflate the device two times a day and leave inflated for 5 minutes, and then deflate the device.
* 3rd week: Inflate the device two times a day and leave inflated for 20 minutes, and then deflate the device.

After this week of cycling is completed, you may start intercourse.

After the cycling is completed and intercourse has resumed, cycle the device daily for six months. Inflate device to maximum rigidity (mild stretching or mild discomfort) and leave the device inflated for 10-15 minutes.
72 yo. Married 35 yrs to 2nd wife. Peyronie's surgery for 70°curve Sep 2018 by Dean Knoll in Nashville. Implanted on 7 Apr 2021 with AMS 700 CX by Dr. Knoll. Cylinders are 21 cm with 1 cm RTE's.

Harvey750

Postby Harvey750 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:50 am

Post Pop Day 9 — Deflation Pop (for AMS users)

I felt the deflation pop indicating fluid transfer from the cylinders to the reservoir! Yeah. As widely demonstrated, I squeezed my penis to force more saline from the cylinders. Understandably, the “flaccid” result was no where as small as it used to be. I understand this is the new "show-er" normal.

Next, I tried squeezing and releasing the pump bulb quickly to activate the pump, and then proceeded best that I could with 12 slower and very partial squeezes. Boy — that was difficult; never could get a full squeeze as the pump was not at all flexible. Like yesterday, I did this in a hot water bath to loosen everything up, but pumping was difficult. Could not guess percentage of inflation, but it did not seem like much. At least the process was minimally painful, so I was happy for the progress.

Will try again tomorrow.
72 yo. Married 35 yrs to 2nd wife. Peyronie's surgery for 70°curve Sep 2018 by Dean Knoll in Nashville. Implanted on 7 Apr 2021 with AMS 700 CX by Dr. Knoll. Cylinders are 21 cm with 1 cm RTE's.

rjdoan

Postby rjdoan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am

It sounds as if you are doing great! Keep it up.

I received my implant nine weeks ago today and I realized about a week ago it has become a normal part of my body. I don't think about it anymore except when using it or cycling. My biggest challenge right now is trying to determine how much to deflate after use/cycling. I was manually squeezing all of the fluid out of the cylinders, but now am experimenting with just pushing on the button until is goes into continual deflate and letting it settle where it does.
Bob Doan
65 yo, Prostate Cancer - radiation therapy 2018, ED 20 years used pills, MUSE, trimix. Weekly testosterone injections for TRT. AMS 700 CX implanted Feb 12, 2021, 18/1, by Dr Herati, Johns Hopkins

Harvey750

Postby Harvey750 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:25 pm

rjdoan,

Going back eight weeks, what is your recollection about the ease of pumping up? I trust it will get better for me, so just checking about your experience.

Looking forward to the implant becoming a normal part of my body. As of now, the two old tentants below are objecting to an unwanted squatter who refuses to go away. There is just a low-grade dull ache that accompanies me for now.

Thanks for your reply!

Downunder

Postby Downunder » Wed May 12, 2021 3:42 pm

Markc2008 wrote:This is good feedback. I live just south of Nashville about 30 miles and I’m starting the process of looking into an implant. So he is considered high volume? I want the best chance of keeping my length.

Nashville guy here. I had considered Dr Knoll as he has a long reputation for excellent surgical outcomes, but when I contacted his office in February it was they who told me that he is about to retire and that my implant surgery would likely be done by his son. Given that the reputation and expertise I was seeking belongs to the father and not the son, I chose not to pursue this, and instead found my next closest "rock star" high volume implant surgeon was Dr. Brian Christine in Birmingham AL. He is very well regarded in my online searches, appears as an expert speaker at medical events, and has published or jointly published peer reviewed papers on the subject, and has favorable reviews on Franktalk.

I have since seen Dr Christine for an initial evaluation and will be scheduling surgery for later this year.
just an old guy who solved his "downunder" problem:
61yo married, Type 2 Diabetes, 2014 HOLEP for BPH, ED 20+ years, pills stopped working & injections burned.
AMS-700CX 18cm + 3cm RTE by Dr Dean Knoll, Nashville TN, June 2023

Harvey750

Postby Harvey750 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Downunder,

Wish you the best success with Dr. Christine. I was on his website a bunch earlier this year, and he was under serious consideration, until I found out the Dr. Knoll would take me, perhaps because I was already a patient of his. My understanding is that Dr. Dean Knoll helped train Christine.

So perhaps I am one of Dr. Dean Knoll's final surgical patients. (?) I asked, and Dean said his son Paul would be on the team that did my implant, but that he (Dean) would be doing the surgery.

Alan67

Postby Alan67 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:29 pm

You said contact Nashville Urologists. They have many doctors there. I had the 3 peice put in 11 weeks ago by Dr Pollard. So far it's the worst decision of my life. I'm scheduled with a different urologist in another month. And it could be that he did a good job. I don't know but I have chronic discomfort in several areas but he's not seeing anything wrong and isn't doing any kind of tests or troubleshooting.

Scott61

Postby Scott61 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:50 pm

Downunder wrote:
Markc2008 wrote:This is good feedback. I live just south of Nashville about 30 miles and I’m starting the process of looking into an implant. So he is considered high volume? I want the best chance of keeping my length.

Nashville guy here. I had considered Dr Knoll as he has a long reputation for excellent surgical outcomes, but when I contacted his office in February it was they who told me that he is about to retire and that my implant surgery would likely be done by his son. Given that the reputation and expertise I was seeking belongs to the father and not the son, I chose not to pursue this, and instead found my next closest "rock star" high volume implant surgeon was Dr. Brian Christine in Birmingham AL. He is very well regarded in my online searches, appears as an expert speaker at medical events, and has published or jointly published peer reviewed papers on the subject, and has favorable reviews on Franktalk.

I have since seen Dr Christine for an initial evaluation and will be scheduling surgery for later this year.

Dr. Christine just did my implant 19 days ago. So far I have no complaints. I’m going back next Tuesday for my follow up and learn how to operate the new equipment! I have to say, I’m very anxious to see what the final size will be, but so far I don’t expect to have lost anything. He’s a real nice guy and I like him. He wouldn’t tell me what size implant he used, he said “that doesn’t matter, you got the one that was appropriate for you “.

50bmg4me

Postby 50bmg4me » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:57 am

The size should be on the paper work from the surgery. Brine Christine performed my surgery.
Now bionic 8/26/21 :D . 64 years old, Coloplast Titan/genesis pump, 20 + 1 rte, infrapubic, by DR. Brian Christine, Birmingham, Al., .

Scott61

Postby Scott61 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:44 am

50bmg4me wrote:The size should be on the paper work from the surgery. Brine Christine performed my surgery.

I didn’t get any paperwork from the surgery, just some preprinted forms with instructions. Where did you get the paperwork? Who gave it to you?

Return to “Implants”