When should you get an implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
merrix

Re: When should you get an implant?

Postby merrix » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:20 pm

Rawness1111 wrote:I know and have talked to several females who tell me about guys with different forms of ed issues. I know guys who only have sex on their backs because if they get up they can't maintain their errection. Then there are others that can have sex but only for a short amount of time. Like 5 minutes tops. Lastly there are others who can have sex but usually do it in a certain routine to remain hard. All of these things seem OK to deal with as long as it works. But over the years it can become depressing. Especially for those who have done everything so that those things don't happen but they still do. So when is it time to call it quits and get the implant?

Of course it is at a different stage for different people. Many factors play a role. How bad is your ED, how old are you, what other gear are you ok with using (pills, injections, pumps etc) and so on.

But my short answer would be:
When your life is substantially negatively affected.

For some that is as soon as they get some level of ED. For some, the threshold is much higher.
Why? Because of lots of things.
How important sex is. That is actually different for different people.
How mentally strong we are to handle shit in our lives. Some get depressed for a coffee stain on their new shirt and some can live through hell and still feel fine.
How much else in life we have that is important to us. Do you put your whole happiness down to your sexual performance or is it just a piece of a great puzzle.
And the list goes on.

But again, when you feel that your ED and your poor sex has just gotten to the point when it makes you feel miserable. When it starts to impact you and change you. And there is no way to get out of that place. You just know that until you get a working dick you will continue to be miserable.
That's when it's time to get an implant.
For some that happens already at a mild-moderate ED level. While at the other extreme, that point never comes for some no matter how bad their ED is.

In my case, with a life-long history of some level of ED, there were two incidents that kick-started my downward spiral.
Both of them kind of made me realise how bad my ED was and what I was missing.
One was that I did a surgery repairing veins in my dick. Which hade massive effect to start with. I was cured. But only for a couple of months. But those months... Holy shit. I wanted more.
The other was a true, open, cut the BS talk with my wife while in the process of discussing the implant with her.
I asked her, again, how my dick (and especially its erectional ability (or disability)) was compared to men she had previously been with.
As I said, I had some form of ED ever since puberty. Of course I knew my dick sucked, but not really how bad it sucked. So I never really knew what was normal. Even though I started to guess after the surgery mentioned above.
She always said she didn't want to compare me to other men she'd been with, and that what we had was good, and she loved me, etc, etc.
And maybe I was afraid of the answer and never pushed for it.
But as a part of the implant-or-not discussion, I asked again, And asked her to answer honestly.
This was an important input for my decision.
So she told me.
I don't know exactly how many guys she'd been with before me, but in the ballpark of 5. Maybe 3, maybe 8. But that ballpark. And we met when we were 24, so obviously, her previous boyfriends where all young.
But her answer: Nobody of them ever had any difficulty to either get it up or keep it up. Every bloody time it was just hard when needed and stayed that way till it was all done. All of them. Every time.

Baaam!. That hit me. From that moment, knowing how great it was with a lasting erection (while the vein surgery still had effect), and how useless my crap dick was compared to her previous lovers - things just went downhill.
Up till that point, sure it bothered me. It bothered me as hell. But it didn't suck every minute of my energy. I still had a great life. Basically everything in my life was great. This was not tipping me over the point.
But after that moment it did. I couldn't get it out of my head. Every time we had sex and my crap dick went down, I felt like shit. And it started to take up my energy day and night.

A week later I contacted Dr. Eid. Three months later I had a Titan in my dick.
And I never regretted anything.
Last edited by merrix on Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

LBC2020

Postby LBC2020 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:39 pm

100 percent agree w metric

I’m not totally impotent by any means

But I have enough ED that I feel useless
I miss sex and miserable isn’t enough to describe my mood
I feel like jumping off a bridge most days bc of it

I’m certainly not as bad physiologically as others but it doesn’t matter

I’m impotent enough that I feel like shit
I’m a terrible dad right now

Like it’s not fun at all

I can’t even watch tv or hear about sex without feeling shame

I’m praying this implant goes well and comes soon and changes this mood
Finasteride 2005-11
Terrible
Side effects

Been having ED since 2011 with penile shrinkage...was totally impotent for a few months and penis changed
Low libido
Low T
Had kids along the way and recovered some
Function

Implanted w dr Eid June 10 2021

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Rawness1111 wrote:I know and have talked to several females who tell me about guys with different forms of ed issues. I know guys who only have sex on their backs because if they get up they can't maintain their errection. Then there are others that can have sex but only for a short amount of time. Like 5 minutes tops. Lastly there are others who can have sex but usually do it in a certain routine to remain hard. All of these things seem OK to deal with as long as it works. But over the years it can become depressing. Especially for those who have done everything so that those things don't happen but they still do. So when is it time to call it quits and get the implant?

Congratulations on having those talks with women in your life. It takes a bit of courage to do that (or, in my case, desperation). And congratulations for persuading them to be frank about it (women can be reticent, as Merrix's wife was at first - see his post in this thread).

As usual, Merrix is spot-on with his advice. I do have one expansion on one paragraph in his post.

Merrix wrote: (edited for focus, underlining is mine for emphasis)

But my short answer would be:
When your life is substantially negatively affected.

But again, when you feel that your ED and your poor sex has just gotten to the point when it makes you feel miserable. When it starts to impact you and change you. And there is no way to get out of that place. You just know that until you get a working dick you will continue to be miserable.
That's when it's time to get an implant.
For some that happens already at a mild-moderate ED level. While at the other extreme, that point never comes for some no matter how bad their ED is.

The dividing line between inconvenient and debilitating varies between people and even in the same person as that person learns coping or adaptive techniques (mental attitude or physical skills) and partner's attitude as well.

"MedicalNewsToday.com" cites this definition " In basic terms, neurosis is a disorder involving obsessive thoughts or anxiety, while neuroticism is a personality trait that does not have the same negative impact on everyday living as an anxious condition. In modern non-medical texts, the two are often used with the same meaning, but this is inaccurate."

"Everyday living" is an essential operative term. Consider these: What can you live with? What can you live happily with?

Note: A supportive and accepting long-term partner can be instrumental in changing the answers to those questions. Note the coping mechanism Jack Nicholson's character used in the final scenes of the movie "Carnal Knowledge". (Spoiler alert) He could only get sexual satisfaction by re-enacting in excruciating detail his first sexual encounter as a youth.

My advice (and, I am sure, almost every man who has gotten an implant) is similar to what Dylan Thomas advised in his poem about death (which I paraphrase here): "Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

I did not want to make an adjustment to my sexual practices as radical as Nicholson's character needed. So, I am implanted now. Though women in my life were fairly satisfied with my non-penile attentions to their sexual needs and desires, I was not satisfied with their degree of satisfaction and I wanted (or needed) to know I was giving them more.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:47 pm

When you want to quit worrying about if you can get hard.

When you want to get hard when you want to.

When you want to stay hard and switch positions while having sex without worrying about losing your hard on.

If you finish and she does not. Just keep on going.

That's when.

Oh and if you have a curved dick from peyronies, hourglass, or plaque and do not want that anymore. Get the implant.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Return to “Implants”