AMS Ambicore Experience

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
pitmanm

AMS Ambicore Experience

Postby pitmanm » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:05 pm

Due to a femoral bypass, my doctor has determined that my only option is the 2 piece AMS Ambicore.

I agree with his conclusion. I would prefer to not mess around with the reservoir on the 700 or Titan.

Is there anyone on the forum that has had the Ambicore implanted??

I would appreciate any feedback you guys could give me.

Thanks, Monte
64 years old. Began experiencing ED in 2007. Pills worked well until 2012. Began injections in 2018. Could not maintain through completion. AMS Ambicor implanted June 9, 2021 by Dr Michael Wierschem at Baylor, Scott, and White, Plano, Texas. Single.

Lost Sheep

Re: AMS Ambicore Experience

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:49 pm

Sorry, no first-hand experience with the Ambicore. My reading indicates that it does work but to expect less girth. I hope someone who knows better will correct me if I am wrong.

My contribution to your quest for a working implant is this: Get a second opinion. If the bypass complicates reservoir placement on one side, placement on the other side of your body may be an option, though it may require a more artful approach than your current surgeon is willing to attempt. This is no slight to his integrity. It would be foolish at the least for a surgeon to attempt an operation that may be too challenging. Dr. Eid wrote to me, "Find a surgeon in love with his craft." such a surgeon will put the patient's welfare above all other considerations. (And this not only includes money or convenience, but ego, too).

Diplomatically asking your surgeon for a recommendation for a surgeon who might be able to route around your prior operation shows respect for him/her as a physician and person as well as increasing your traction in the decision-making.

Of course, if the explanation you get for being ineligible for a reservoir under any circumstances satisfies you, then the Ambicore is a viable alternative.

Good luck.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Canadian dude

Postby Canadian dude » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 pm

Hi, my doctor wants to use the ambicor for my implant. I have had a kidney transplant and he would rather stay out of my abdomen. Not many reviews as most implants are the three piece ones.

pitmanm

Postby pitmanm » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:48 am

Dr. Wierchem at Texas Urology is my second opinion. The first such opinion was Dr. Leroy Jones at San Antonio Urology in San Antonio, Texas. He didn't hesitate in his position.

Honestly, I value the bypass more than my ability to gain an erection. Almost lost my left leg due to the embolism.

Even if he chose to try it, it would have to be in patient with a vascular surgeon available.

I will just have to settle for less girth, and potentially, length.
64 years old. Began experiencing ED in 2007. Pills worked well until 2012. Began injections in 2018. Could not maintain through completion. AMS Ambicor implanted June 9, 2021 by Dr Michael Wierschem at Baylor, Scott, and White, Plano, Texas. Single.

pitmanm

Postby pitmanm » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:49 am

Canadian dude wrote:Hi, my doctor wants to use the ambicor for my implant. I have had a kidney transplant and he would rather stay out of my abdomen. Not many reviews as most implants are the three piece ones.

Thanks Dude. I figured that would be the case.

pitmanm

Postby pitmanm » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:57 am

Well....I will be joining the bionic club on June 9th. Started antibiotics this morning, for 3 weeks. Pre Op appointment tomorrow. My only option is the Amibcor. I have a bypass that runs right across my pubic area. Reservoir placement was too dangerous.

I am on blood thinners and will stop those on Friday. I will be off them for about 3 weeks.

Implanting the 2 piece should shorten the recovery time. I have taken some advice to heart from reading posts on Frank Talk. Questions....

I have to travel to Pennsylvania on July 1st. That is just about 3 weeks after the procedure. What should I expect at 3 weeks related to recovery?

Is it difficult to pee in the toilet initially? Should I find an alternative for some period of time?

I am taking a jock strap for post surgery travel home. Is that the right or wrong thing to do? If wrong, what is the suggested method?

Doc does all of it infrapubic. I believe that will hasten recovery as well. Or am I wrong about that?

It has been a long haul. Lost my wife in 2018 to breast cancer. She worked with me on our intimate life. When I found myself dating, I had to explain the ED with many women I have met in the last year. Pills, injections and VED just did not work. I sure hope that this procedure will allow me to throw all the stuff in the trash. Thank you all for your input and feedback. This site is so important for those of us considering or going through the process.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:31 pm

Re peeing: take the hospital urinal home with you. Mine saved me no end of peeing hassle.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

FreddyFree

Postby FreddyFree » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:08 am

pitmanm wrote:I would appreciate any feedback you guys could give me.

I’m not a doctor. Is it possible to place the reservoir on the other side? I have a hernia on my right, so my reservoir was placed on the left.
AMS 700 CX 18cm. x 12mm. With 3cm. RTEs. 10/10/18

pitmanm

Postby pitmanm » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:48 am

The bypass runs from right to left, so it is the same on both sides.

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:51 pm

Well happy you're able to join the ranks of the implanted, sorry for the loss of your wife.

My implant changed our life, my sanity too. Went through all the pills and injections myself, hated the side effects and the guessing if it's going to work this time.

At 3 weeks post op you should feel well enough to travel, maybe not a long, long ride without a few breaks.
Peeing at first for me was only possible sitting because the wife didn't want the seat and walls wet! Mostly I still sit to pee because now I dribble and have to dab the drips off. A urinal is no problem, I can shake the drips off.
For the jock strap that's how they sent me home, never wore it again. I preferred snug underwear, boxer briefs. Everyone is different though, and with a two piece you might have more to hold down.

Good luck on the surgery & recovery!
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

Return to “Implants”