Surgery Scheduled for 9/21/2010 - Advice Solicited

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
hard drive

Surgery Scheduled for 9/21/2010 - Advice Solicited

Postby hard drive » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:01 pm

As some of you may remember, I became unemployed in Feb of this year, and have been searching for solutions for ED. I found that I DO have V.A. benefits and they have been working with me for a couple of months.

I had a Uro. appointment today and we scheduled implant surgery for 9/21/2010. I'm very pleased so far to date but I do have a concern. The doctor informed me that they do not offer the AMS 700 LGX. They only offer the Titan due to their company winning the VA bid process.

I'm now worried (I wasn't before) about how much loss in length I'll end up with, and what can I do to minimise my losses. I am overweight and I realize this doesn't help my size worries so I'm peeling off the pounds. So far I've lost about 30 lbs. and I'll continue until every last .oz of extra padding is gone.

The general opinion I've found is in favor of the AMS. Can some one enlighten me a little? Do I need to be concerned? How much should I expect to lose?

I have prayed to God night and day for this implant to happen and on the VA's dime (mostly), and now that I am approaching success towards that goal, I'm wrapped up in the AMS vs. Titan due to the length & floppy head thing.

The (Young) doctor told me that he works in the private sector also, and they ONLY install the AMS product (because of a cost break THEY got at their facility), but the VA gets a veteran's discount from the maker of Titan. The good doctor went on to tell me that most of the information about the AMS and length are not to be expected. The Doc. said they are very comparable devices and AMS has the edge on the floppy head issue but not by much.

Should I turn down the free implant and pray for a bag of money so I can get the AMS, or should I just do it and deal with an inferior result?

-floppydrive
harddrive

jackpTenn

Re: Surgery Scheduled for 9/21/2010 - Advice Solicited

Postby jackpTenn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:41 pm

You have a tough decision. With the money factor and the difference in the Titan and LGX.

I have the LGX and for what my opinion is worth $0.00 let me say this. If the Titan is properly sized you should have a good outcome. The Titan in the private sector is used mostly on guys that are well endowed, 7" or greater.

The down side, and I and many others disagree with the good doctor, the Titan will not lengthen if you have lost length the LGX will. I have gained back over 1" in length lost to peyronies.

Your weight loss is a good advantage. The VED exercise will also help with the outcome as it will help keep your penis healthy.

I have been off this forum for several weeks because of work and a family project. Things are starting to settle down and I will be back full time arount the first of August.

In the end the decision is yours. There are several guys that are happy with the Titan, and some that are not. I know at Vanderbilt the cost for the LGX for patients without insurance is around $20,000.00. That could be your determining factor.

Good Luck

JackP
Peyronies 1995
Penile Implant 10/08
Dr. Douglas Milam @ Vanderbilt
Normal Again

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:20 am

I have the LGX and for what my opinion is worth $0.00 let me say this. If the Titan is properly sized you should have a good outcome. The Titan in the private sector is used mostly on guys that are well endowed, 7" or greater.

Thanks Jack. I've prayed about it and I think moving forward with the surgery is the way to go. If I don't get this done now, there is no telling when I'll be able to afford it, or if I'll even have a relationship left to enjoy it with.

I do fit into the 7+ category (when I was getting erections, or when fully pumped with a VED). The doctor said he doesn't do the surgery or fit alone. According to him, he has done many Titan & AMS implants with very good results for both. Doc says that VA implanted devices require that the Titan surgical Rep. be present for the Fit/Surgery, so hopefully they will get a correctly sized unit for my UNIT.

I'm thinking that even if my results aren't as good as they WOULD have been with the AMS, they will be much better than having a floppydrive that doesn't work at all. Who knows, it could be the perfect solution for my particular needs. That's what I have prayed for, so if this is what God presents me with, it must be (I hope... fingers crossed...).

-floppydrive
harddrive

franglais

Postby franglais » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:38 am

x
Last edited by franglais on Sun May 22, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks Mike,

I'll do that right now.

-floppydrive
harddrive

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi FloppyDrive I got your PM,

My first thought is that my doctor picked the Coloplast Titan for me because he thought that in my situation that was the best one. I never was able to have erections due to natural ED, so there was no need for a AMS that stretches in length as well as girth. The Titan does not stretch in length but I have not had any problems with it (Size does not matter to me, I just am thankful to be able to finally have an erection).

Have you tried contacting any doctors for more options? I am thinking that if a doctor is limited to just one type of implant there is no way to tell if that implant is the right one for you or not.
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Colin,

It has to be the best option since it's the only option offered by the VA. I lost my job (and insurance) in Feb. and don't have the money to pay for one out right. Can you tell me how much length you lost? I'm guessing you probably can't since you didn't have prior erections but anything you can tell me good or bad about the Titan would be appreciated.

Thanks,

floppydrive
harddrive

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:06 pm

I actually gained length due to my unique situation. But the Titan has a hard to deflate pump than the rest of them. Some of the AMS implants I know are targeted towards older men who wouldn't have as much hand strength as someone younger. This issue does not really effect me at all. The Titan goes gain a lot of girth and I haven't found any complaints about it yet.
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Colin,

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear you have no complaints. I hope my experience will be as positive as yours.
harddrive

Matdam

Postby Matdam » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:18 am

I had the titan implanted about 4 months ago and I can honestly say that I'm very happy with it, I did not lose any appreciable length, gained significant girth, It's changed my life.

Return to “Implants”