Implant longevity and age, is it really a concern?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Gt1956

Re: Implant longevity and age, is it really a concern?

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:44 pm

frwmw1 wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:I see a huge problem in this delay logic. Why would you trade 5 years of sex at age 45 for 5 years at 75? Take the 5 younger years. Best sex of your life. Ok, so you get to 70 & the implant fails. Maybe you can pass on a new implant because sex isn't interesting any more. But to give up 5 years of younger sex is insane. Very simple in my mind.

Well yeah, and the thing is, what I'm reading from the forum is that implants do seem like a viable long-term solution, but it's just that there's not enough study on this yet.

I don't see how you can say that with a straight face. Implants have been used in the USA,, for several decades. My late father in law had one back around 1990.
Monitor this thread. I'm sure one of our research sleuths can give you an even better (and longer) timeline. I realize that you're scared but that doesn't change the historical facts.
I believe that Dr. Christine has recently retired after a long carrer of installing implants.
A quick google search turns up mentions of inflatable implants in the 1960's.
What kind of study is it you're looking for??
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

frwmw1

Postby frwmw1 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:31 pm

Gt1956 wrote:
frwmw1 wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:I see a huge problem in this delay logic. Why would you trade 5 years of sex at age 45 for 5 years at 75? Take the 5 younger years. Best sex of your life. Ok, so you get to 70 & the implant fails. Maybe you can pass on a new implant because sex isn't interesting any more. But to give up 5 years of younger sex is insane. Very simple in my mind.

Well yeah, and the thing is, what I'm reading from the forum is that implants do seem like a viable long-term solution, but it's just that there's not enough study on this yet.

I don't see how you can say that with a straight face. Implants have been used in the USA,, for several decades. My late father in law had one back around 1990.
Monitor this thread. I'm sure one of our research sleuths can give you an even better (and longer) timeline. I realize that you're scared but that doesn't change the historical facts.
I believe that Dr. Christine has recently retired after a long carrer of installing implants.

I find not much studies in terms of satisfaction over, say, a 30 year period.

This is not to say there isn't any, but I get the feeling Urologists are cautionary because of this?
45yo, venous leak. Pills increased tinnitus (very rare). Using bimix+atropine, 0.2 of:
Atropine Sulfate: 52MCG/ML, Phentolamine MES: 0.9MG/ML, Papaverine HCL: 26MG/ML

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:19 am

frwmw1 wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:
frwmw1 wrote:Well yeah, and the thing is, what I'm reading from the forum is that implants do seem like a viable long-term solution, but it's just that there's not enough study on this yet.

I find not much studies in terms of satisfaction over, say, a 30 year period.

This is not to say there isn't any, but I get the feeling Urologists are cautionary because of this?

Newbie443 & myself hashed this about a month ago. I came up with a percetage in the mid 90's. If I remember correctly he came up with a low to mid 80's number.
In reality, the satisfaction rate isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The better comparison is how happy are you with your poorly working dick now? Even if pills or shots are getting you by for now. You really need to prepare for the day when they don't work. That is when it will all come crashing down. Many guys postpone the decision then because they think (hope) maybe the pills will start working again.
My bad. Oct 3 2020. Thread about a survey of satisfaction rates.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

frwmw1

Postby frwmw1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:49 am

Gt1956 wrote:
Newbie443 & myself hashed this about a month ago. I came up with a percetage in the mid 90's. If I remember correctly he came up with a low to mid 80's number.
In reality, the satisfaction rate isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The better comparison is how happy are you with your poorly working dick now? Even if pills or shots are getting you by for now. You really need to prepare for the day when they don't work. That is when it will all come crashing down. Many guys postpone the decision then because they think (hope) maybe the pills will start working again.

Yes, I read that, however what I was looking for was to see if this score remained consistent across 30 years with replacement/revisions included.

I suspect it does.
45yo, venous leak. Pills increased tinnitus (very rare). Using bimix+atropine, 0.2 of:

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:33 am

frwmw1 wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:

Yes, I read that, however what I was looking for was to see if this score remained consistent across 30 years with replacement/revisions included.

I suspect it does.

You're looking for a unicorn. The vast majority of the implanted men are over 50. Looking for 30 year data will lead you to to graveyards to collect. Implants are slowly working down in the age brackets. The reasons are varied. I'm thinking that implants are a tough sell to a group that has had a shorter sexual life than many other men. Fear, shy, money maybe even some percieved shame might be the reasons. I don't know. You can answer the reasons better than I can.
My guess is that a man that is satisfied with his implant for 10+ years doesn't just decide that he hates it. What else would explain the men that say they regret waiting so long to get their implant? Men that say that if their implant was to fail that they'd rush to get it replaced. Then the men that actually have had implants replaced?
Why would you be any different? Is there some reason that you'd come to different conclusions than many other men? I don't know your age, sex history, marital status or even your origination. But members of all types are represented here. Surely there is a member that matches your situation closely that you can draw on their experience.
I suspect that the 30 year data is just masking your true feelings. Don't mislead yourself, be honest with yourself. It will make the decision easier for you to make. Only you can make the decision.
Good luck.

frwmw1

Postby frwmw1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 am

I'll just go through my thinking again.

In discussing implants, my Uro expressed concern about my relatively young age, and said we need to consider my situation when I am older, as an implant will definitely not last me until the grave.

I was taken back by this concern, and I am wondering why would it be considered so risky to get an implant with the understanding that it will need to be replaced?

The Uro said he has had no personal experience regarding the long term outcome, and I am guessing that it's lack of data that is causing this concern?

Aemill

Postby Aemill » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:50 am

I got my implant at 24 years of age and I have read about people as young as 18 who got is as well. I think the mentioned urologist is not very confident in his ability to perform penile implant operations.
Born 1995, VL since 18, pills dont work, injections provide good 20 minute erection which hurts, implanted AMS CXR 14+6 due to fibrosis

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:28 pm

Just my non scientific experience. I've written about my phimosis surgey. At that time I did ask my urologist if he did implants. He was an older man & said he did not do them. Said he couldn't stand up for the long surgery time. Fast forward 6 years. I start a serious search for a solution to my ED. Well what do I find? The surgery isn't very long. I bet my doctor stands longer shopping for groceries than most implant operations take.
Even among urologists, there is misconceptions & lack of understanding. If you need an organ transplant? Does a doctor tell you to not do it cause you're young?
Here is the take away. There are bad or uninformed urologists out there. Get a second opinion from one that has a broad practice or specializes in men's health. You wouldn't go to a urologist that only treated women would you.
Part of the trouble of getting good healthcare is getting a good doctor. They all are not good. Be clear about your condition & how long you've had it. Ask about his treatment options. Make sure that you understand him, take notes. It's your dick afterall.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:43 pm

Frwmw1. I just looked at your signature info. Looks like you have been through the normal treatments. Pills didn't suit you. You're on shots now. Most men report that they gradually lose effectiveness.
Welcome to middle age. Been there, done that. My phimosis started just a few years older than you.
Many men talk about regrets. My mistake was to not persue an ED solution when I was not much older than you are now. I thought that after fixing the phimosis that things would slowly get better. Well a sick kid got in the way. Now I'm stuck waiting for this Covid to clear up & my Medicare to kick in. I could of had 5 years of great sex. I know what delaying got me....a big fat nothing.

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:01 pm

I would say you are the one who has to decide the time is right for you. I have read several different studies on satisfaction with implants

Usually satisfaction rates are above 90 percent after a 1 year period. Even if someone had a complication with their implant they still rated in the mid 80 percent as satisfied.

Implant life in many surveys goes from 10 to 15 years. Could be just months or 20 years. Remember they wear out. Just like replacement knees and hips do.

Mine lasted 10 months and failed due to another surgery interfering with it. So at 1 year I had my first revision. My initial implant was pretty easy on me. No real pain, swelling, or bruising. The revision was even easier. I also got longer cylinders. So that is a plus.

I would find a urologist who deals in ED. While all of them probably say they do, they do not. I went to 4 before I found one who actually dealt with peyronies and ed from it.

I never tried tri mix. I was not sticking needles in my dick. I already was dealing with peyronies and plaque. Injections into penile tissue my docs told me would probably make the peyronies worse.

With implant. Peyronies gone. Size is back. Want sex. Have sex. Walking in woods and want sex. Have sex. Sitting on a bunch of rocks with waves crashing in at the north shore of Hawaii at midnight. Want sex. Have sex. I just do not see a down side if you have ed and nothing is working. Hell I might be dead tomorrow. Today. Want sex. Have sex.

As I have said many times. This thing breaks. I am getting this thing fixed ASAP..

And might get 21 cm cylinders next time.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Return to “Implants”