Maximize Pumping Power (Hands on approach)

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Fernando

Re: Maximize Pumping Power (Hands on approach)

Postby Fernando » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:23 am

The study.
Attachments
Penile prosthesis implantation past, present and future.pdf
(248.77 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

Walruseater

Postby Walruseater » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:57 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:
Walruseater wrote:Is there any literature on electronically controlled implant devices?

I read something about heat activation. It seems like something like that or a mobile app connected implant have big disadvantages since it’s not self contained in the body. Perhaps a button in lower abdomen underneath the skin. Curious how they’re thinking about this.

Yes, there have been animal trials and cadaver trials on a heat-activated one-piece device that erects in a manner similar to an inflatable. Look up "memory metal penile implant"

It would be made of nitinol or something like that.

Mentioned in a couple of threads on FrankTalk in the past couple of years.

Right, I’ve seen this. IMO, needing a secondary device not connected to your body in order to activate the erection is not as desirable as even a pump.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Walruseater wrote:
Lost Sheep wrote:
Walruseater wrote:Is there any literature on electronically controlled implant devices?

I read something about heat activation. It seems like something like that or a mobile app connected implant have big disadvantages since it’s not self contained in the body. Perhaps a button in lower abdomen underneath the skin. Curious how they’re thinking about this.

Yes, there have been animal trials and cadaver trials on a heat-activated one-piece device that erects in a manner similar to an inflatable. Look up "memory metal penile implant"

It would be made of nitinol or something like that.

Mentioned in a couple of threads on FrankTalk in the past couple of years.

Right, I’ve seen this. IMO, needing a secondary device not connected to your body in order to activate the erection is not as desirable as even a pump.

I agree. A compromise would be the entire device (battery, electric pump and control unit) contained inside the body with only a transcutaneous charging device the only external device required.

One form might be a scrotum-implanted 2 position rocker switch and a valve that offers two paths between the reservoir and implant - both being one-way valves. The rocker switch's "ON" position would inflate the implant with the the deflation path closed. The "OFF" position would close the inflation path and open the deflation path.

A man (or his partner) could achieve an erection simply by manipulating the rocker switch.

I have seen one estimate that charging the battery might only be required once every month or so. This would, of course, depend on the size and quality of the battery and the frequency of erections/sexual activity.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

mike123

Postby mike123 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 pm

In the electronic world, everything is a tradeoff.

Batteries will need to be replaced every several years. What would be a minimum acceptable service life? The further inside the the body the battery is placed, the more comfortable it will be but the more invasive will be the surgery to implant and later to replace. The larger the battery, the longer it will last between charges but the longer it will take to charge.

What would be better? A battery that would last for 5 inflations that could be recharged in say 3 hours or one that would last for 15 inflations but take 8-9 hours to charge? I'm pulling these numbers out of the air but the principal holds.

How large/powerful would the pump need to be? A more powerful pump would mean quicker inflations but would be larger and would drain the battery at a much faster rate. What would be an acceptable time to inflate? Erection in one minute? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?

Just some things to think about. What tradeoffs would you be willing to make?
Implanted 2020 Nov 30 with Titan 22cm, no RTEs by Dr Dineen in Daytona Beach.
TURP for BPH 2020 Jul 27. Resulted in RE.
ED started around 2005.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:19 pm

Mike123, I think your question is valid but it is aimed at the wrong market. To a man with poor hand dexterity or strength. The trade off is no implant or 1 that has the limits of your question. I bet that most men in at least the initial implantees will gladly take the trade off.
As those guys provide feedback, the battery & pump would evolve to better suit the needs to that first & later markets.
I tried to read up on the early development of the inflatable implant a few days ago. The early implants were pretty crude compared to what we can get today. I'm fairly certain that some similar process would happen with the electric pumps.
Just my thoughts.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

gene308

Postby gene308 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:52 am

I had thought about an external device that captured the pump and then either manually like scissors or electro mechanically like a milking machine would pump the pump. deflation in the normal way. CAD and a 3D printer could make a prototype
Gene308 married 43 years AMS 700 CX 21cm+2cm Implanted 10/04/2018 Dr James Hotaling (surgeon) and Mariah McCafferty, (Surgical Nurse and AMS rep) , University of Utah

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:08 pm

gene308 wrote:I had thought about an external device that captured the pump and then either manually like scissors or electro mechanically like a milking machine would pump the pump. deflation in the normal way. CAD and a 3D printer could make a prototype

Pliers

Vice Grips makes different jaws for their tools in different shapes.

Use good padding.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:12 pm

mike123 wrote:In the electronic world, everything is a tradeoff.

Batteries will need to be replaced every several years. What would be a minimum acceptable service life? The further inside the the body the battery is placed, the more comfortable it will be but the more invasive will be the surgery to implant and later to replace. The larger the battery, the longer it will last between charges but the longer it will take to charge.

What would be better? A battery that would last for 5 inflations that could be recharged in say 3 hours or one that would last for 15 inflations but take 8-9 hours to charge? I'm pulling these numbers out of the air but the principal holds.

How large/powerful would the pump need to be? A more powerful pump would mean quicker inflations but would be larger and would drain the battery at a much faster rate. What would be an acceptable time to inflate? Erection in one minute? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?

Just some things to think about. What tradeoffs would you be willing to make?

The article cited in the OP said "batteries could be recharged extracorporeally by wearing a belt-type recharging device during the night 3–4 days per month." (I wondered if once a week would have been better language - and that schedule probably would be more convenient to schedule in most people's lives.) Connection to the power supply would be no more problematic than the air supply for a CPAP machine.

The article already mentioned heat and electrical charge as possible activation vectors. Why not a magnetic field? A material that polymerizes into an expanded and rigid state in the presence of a magnetic field would be very nearly ideal.

A one-piece implant (one in each tunica albuginea) filled with such a fluid could conceivably produce an erection with a magnet placed in proximity (I am thinking of a magnetic ring placed over the penis and scrotum which would be minimally obtrusive - might even be an enhancement if there were a suitable bump to put pressure on a nearby clitoris) It the ring were not acceptable, a magnetic anal insert might do.

https://www.nature.com/articles/pj2003119

The requirement for proximity and magnetic flux strength would be a challenge and adjusting how hard the erection is might require different strength magnetic tools but all this can be addressed. The need for the auxiliary magnetic tool would be objectionable to many and certainly ever having an MRI would be ruled out. TSA would CERTAINLY be amused. :shock:

"Bottom" line is, if I were able to get an erection simply by sticking a wand up my butt or putting a ring over my genitals instead of having to pump up my scrotum and anticipate that some day my pump might fail...I would be hard pressed to choose between the magnetic dick and the (current technology) hydro dick. (Balance the pros and cons: Need for added tool and MRI/TSA effects vs more invasive surgery and probability of revisions over time).
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

gene308

Postby gene308 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:31 pm

These all sound great. I wonder what the time frame is. I need some more time to wear the one I have out :lol:
Gene308 married 43 years AMS 700 CX 21cm+2cm Implanted 10/04/2018 Dr James Hotaling (surgeon) and Mariah McCafferty, (Surgical Nurse and AMS rep) , University of Utah

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:37 pm

gene308 wrote:These all sound great. I wonder what the time frame is. I need some more time to wear the one I have out :lol:

Not more time. More sex.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Return to “Implants”