What’s needed post implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Bizzmann

What’s needed post implant

Postby Bizzmann » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:52 am

I have surgery scheduled in 10 days. I’d like advice on what I should have already have ready when I get home.

Obviously ice bag/ibuprofen. Should I have different types of underwear to try (know many go commando).

Any advice from your experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Diagnosed Gleason 7 12/18 at Mayo Jacksonville. Perineal prostatectomy 2/10 Residual cancer in bladder stem. 40 radiation treatments and 6 month Lupron therapy. PSA undetectable 11/20
Update: LGX 700 implant on 11/11/20 Mayo Jacksonville, Dr Broderick.

Joe Behot

Re: What’s needed post implant

Postby Joe Behot » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:47 am

Stock up on plenty of patience. Use the 2 sets of underwear approach to keep ice bags in place and directly off of your skin. I found underwear at Walmart called AND1 that are very nice and snug. I used them over my regular underwear. I couldn't wear a jock strap. I think most people see a decrease in swelling in 2 weeks. I needed about 6. Everyones different. Best of luck and welcome to the club.
65 years old. Implanted 9-4-20, AMS 700 LGX, 18cmX12cm, 4cm RTE

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:55 am

Portable urinal. The hospital will give you one (even though I was catheterized after surgery). Getting out of bed at home to urinate was not a problem. Aiming into the toilet was. Urinating into a container (a hand-held plastic urinal, jar, what have you) was a lot easier, then just empty the urine into the toilet. Or you may have to resort to peeing in the shower (whether or not you are cleared to shower, at least you can clean shower stall walls a lot easier than you can clean your bathroom walls, baseboards, floor and fixtures). Sorry to be so graphic.

I stayed horizontal, not even sitting up to eat. The longer you can let your body heal without straining (even the gravity assist that blood pressure gets), the easier it is to keep swelling minimized.

Getting out of bed was torture to my torso where the reservoir was placed. Be prepared to PLAN every little move in rising from bed, chair, whatever.

Good luck.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:46 pm

I had a pretty easy recovery, but I found I needed to sleep on a recliner a lot.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

hopeful_future

Postby hopeful_future » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:33 pm

My doc sent me home inflated at 70%, which couldn't really bend in any direction all that much...I spent the entire week to my followup pointing the way as I walked around the house. No undies or sweatpants were wearable, so I just walked around in a robe, and kept the camera from the chest up in any Zoom calls I had to do! For scrotal support, I wore a jock strap with a hole cut in it for my penis to protrude.

I've always been a side or belly sleeper, so I needed something that would keep me on my back. I got this: Bed Wedge Pillow. It helped me get through those first couple of weeks.

My doc suggested stopping icing a few days after the surgery and starting hot baths. Whether you can do baths early depends on your incision closure, so absolutely do not take one until your doc says it's okay.

Seconded on the plastic urinal...I still use it, even though I can mostly hit the toilet now without. When I'm sitting on the toilet, I still can't point down enough to pee, so it's helpful there too.

Best of luck, and remember to be patient with your body as it heals! There are just a lot of weird sensations you'll be dealing with. It'll be alright though. :)
39yo, ED since sexually active, moderate to severe. Bisexual. Pills helped a little, trimix and muse failed. Implanted 8/25/20 by Dr. Karpman, 22cm+1RTE Titan Touch.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:28 pm

You will need wound dressing suplies. Ask your doctor for recomendations. I used bags of dry beans for ice packs. You can get 2-3 and keep them in the freezer and rotate them so they are really cold. They do not clump like frozen veggies or ice will if you reuse them. And they are dry so there is very little chance of getting moisture in the wound area that can be a breading ground for infection. Get your favorite and keep them sealed in zip lock bags and you can even eat them later. If you are alone prepare your home to stay as flat as possible for at least the first 3 days. Have everything you will need as close as possibe. Make meals up a head of time and beverages also. My doctor recomended stool softeners. You don't need to strain until you are healed. I was restricted to 10 lbs. lifting after surgery so make arrangement before hand so you do not have to do any lifting over what your doctor recomends. Folow your doctors instructions and get this information ahead of time so you will be prepared to do so. Best of luck with this.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Everything noted above.... and frozen soup / frozen (healthy) meals! ;)
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

truckrglenn

Postby truckrglenn » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:52 pm

I stocked up on 2" gauze pads. It's been four weeks and I still can't shake myself too vigorously. So I use a gauze pad in my underwear.

Instead of an ice pack I poured thick corn syrup into two freezer bags. The syrup doesn't freeze solid and is easy to form around your sac.

The hospital used an xl jockstrap, thank goodness for Amazon. I ordered a larger size and I wear the jockstrap outside of my underwear.

I'm a truck driver so I've been using an empty 1 gallon water jug. I still use it when taking a dump. But like others on here the first two weeks I peed in the shower.

I cooked and froze enough meals for 2 weeks. Chicken, meatloaf, turkey, Boston Butt. I only drink bottled water, so I had two cases up on the counter next to the fridge so that I wouldn't have to lift anything heavy.

Fresh batteries in your TV's remote control. Lol. Comfortable pillow and blanket on the couch. Oh, and I bought a TV tray with legs for eating while on the couch.
Glenn
AMS700 LGX 21cm x 12mm + 1cm RTE
October 6, 2020 - Dr. Hassan / Cool Springs, Tn

JiminFL

Postby JiminFL » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:25 pm

I bought jock straps for scrotum support & cut holes in them so as not to bend my partially inflated penis. Did the same with underwear when I started wearing them again during week 2. Resist the temptation to do to much if you're feeling good early on. I felt great post-op till day 3, then spent the next 10 days on the couch/in bed trying constantly squirming trying to fit a position that helped with the pain.
57yr old. In shape. Controlled hypertension. 20+ years of PDE5. TRT 4yrs. Trimix 2yrs. Titan 24cc implanted 8/25/20

Bizzmann

Postby Bizzmann » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Surgery scheduled Wednesday. Stresses but looking forward to a new “me”.
Diagnosed Gleason 7 12/18 at Mayo Jacksonville. Perineal prostatectomy 2/10 Residual cancer in bladder stem. 40 radiation treatments and 6 month Lupron therapy. PSA undetectable 11/20
Update: LGX 700 implant on 11/11/20 Mayo Jacksonville, Dr Broderick.

Return to “Implants”