Renewal Price and issues?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Rawness1111

Re: Renewal Price and issues?

Postby Rawness1111 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:28 am

Wow, great answers besides the revision cost, I'm not sure if I'll be paying more or less. Lol. And I am 32 that means that if I am lucky and live to 80. I'll end up needing at least 5 revisions. Which are pretty pricy yikes. We shall see I'm optimistic. As far as replacements it seems that most were able to without having to get a malleable rod so that is great. And it seems like a low amount of complications. ( I'm curious about comfortability) though. Is it comfortable to wear, pump and have sex with? And for the people who have been revised seems more likely to gain than lose so that's a plus. Thank you brothers of the struggle.
32 yrs old. Newly developed ed with divorce and searching for solutions.

Minnesota

Postby Minnesota » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:22 am

Hi Rawness - I'm on my 2nd implant since age 20, and like you, expect to have a few more over my lifetime. I will need to budget to hit my out of pocket (OOP) insurance annual spend for a replacement every 10 years (hoping for 15 years per implant, but best to budget for 10). So if my OOP is around $6K, putting $600 per year into my Health Savings Account (HSA) should cover my cost to replace and it's tax free. Please note I'm not suggesting that this is no small amount of money, or that it's "just $XXX."

I realize this is very simple budgeting math... but it's helped me accept that this is a topic and expense over my life that just needs to happen. Also, it makes it seem less daunting assuming that I have insurance coverage. Getting a replacement when on Medicare might be more in my favor, but who knows what Medicare will be like in 35 years.

I suspect (my personal opinion), that a high volume implanter will tell you that a malleable would be a better option when you're older, less physically active, etc. I suspect that the malleable would interfere with my ability to play ice hockey because A) i'm a goalie and B) wearing a jock/nut cup requires some "softness" down there. Just one example of something that I would consider.
Diagnosed with ED at age of 19, Implanted with Coloplast Titan at age 20. Now 34 (2023)
Titan failed 09/2020, replaced on 10/2/2020 by Kolher @ Mayo Clinic in Minnesota

OregonStrong

Postby OregonStrong » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Minnesota wrote:Hi Rawness - I'm on my 2nd implant since age 20, and like you, expect to have a few more over my lifetime. I will need to budget to hit my out of pocket (OOP) insurance annual spend for a replacement every 10 years (hoping for 15 years per implant, but best to budget for 10). So if my OOP is around $6K, putting $600 per year into my Health Savings Account (HSA) should cover my cost to replace and it's tax free. Please note I'm not suggesting that this is no small amount of money, or that it's "just $XXX."

I realize this is very simple budgeting math... but it's helped me accept that this is a topic and expense over my life that just needs to happen. Also, it makes it seem less daunting assuming that I have insurance coverage. Getting a replacement when on Medicare might be more in my favor, but who knows what Medicare will be like in 35 years.

I suspect (my personal opinion), that a high volume implanter will tell you that a malleable would be a better option when you're older, less physically active, etc. I suspect that the malleable would interfere with my ability to play ice hockey because A) i'm a goalie and B) wearing a jock/nut cup requires some "softness" down there. Just one example of something that I would consider.

I would also say to you MInnesota, you will need to think about who you work for as you get older and what type of health plans they offer. A lot of employers now are going with insurance plans that have complete implant exclusions written into their policies, so you could end up with a 25 to 50K out of pocket cost for any revisions in the future. I ran into that with my employer sponsored plan and several other members here have the same issue. Not many of us have the ability to fund a 25 to 50K investment in these things in our lifetimes.
50 yrs old. E.D. issues started around age 35, combo venous leak/testicular failure. Bilateral testicular implants for severely atrophic testes. Implanted 6/11/20 Dr. Kramer LGX 21cm + 1.

Return to “Implants”