Implant First or Hernia

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
AST2123

Re: Implant First or Hernia

Postby AST2123 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:05 am

Also, in case that insurance paid for the first surgery, and denied the second, for any reason. I am not sure of what could happen. In this case, hernia repair is less expensive than implant, but implant is above 20K.
Finally Bionic
52y old. RP Oct. 2017. Pills didn't work. Trimix failed after a couple of times. Have inguinal hernia repair on both sides. Implanted AMS CX, 21 cm+1 cm RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at KP, VA, Jan. 2021. New username FinallyBionic

Notgivingup

Postby Notgivingup » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:01 pm

You will want a really good implant surgeon. Hernia repair can complicate reservoir placement, as I found out when I had my implant done. See my video for details.

I guess my preference would be to have the hernia repair done and in place before the implant surgery. A good implant surgeon can work around a hernia repair, but I don’t know if I would trust a general surgeon to work around an implant without doing some damage.
69 years old. Implanted 3 Dec 2019 by Dr. Andrew Kramer, Baltimore, AMS 700 LGX, 21 cm + 2 cm RTE.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:21 am

AST2123 wrote:
oldbeek wrote:I had a hernia repair after my implant in the same university hospital. I had concerns that the hernia surgeon lacked information on the whereabouts of the reservoir. I didn't want to get my reservoir nicked by a scalpel. The hernia surgeon had my implant surgeon assist her with the operation.

Comparing the 2 feelings when you are going for these surgeries, I would love to have the implant asap. Pain is killed by the thoughts about you will be achieving after the surgery. At the same time, hernia is inevitable, and become worse.
I did not know about the hernia when I got my implant. It popped up about 3 months after the implant. What I am saying is it is possible for the hernia surgeon to screw up your implant reservoir. Then it is back to square 1.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

AST2123

Postby AST2123 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:32 am

Thank you all for your responses. I think I have a clear picture now. I will go for the Hernia repair first. Implant can wait.
Finally Bionic
52y old. RP Oct. 2017. Pills didn't work. Trimix failed after a couple of times. Have inguinal hernia repair on both sides. Implanted AMS CX, 21 cm+1 cm RTE, by Dr. Kai Li at KP, VA, Jan. 2021. New username FinallyBionic

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:37 pm

Hernia first. My history speaks for itself. After my hernia surgery. Titan no longer worked. Somehow coincidentally my reservoir no longer had saline in it and was a mess.

Revision 2 months after hernia surgery. Had both hernia and implant surgeon in or to fix this. Hernia was on right side with old titan reservoir.

Moved reservoir to left side and they had to make sure hernia fixed as well.

Like I said for past six months. If you have an implant make sure your hernia surgeon knows exactly where all those parts are. Not just him saying so. I would make sure he does an mri, ultrasound, etc to make sure. Safe than sorry.

If possible do like me if you are going local. They can do it together and probably use same hernia incision to make sure reservoir is in right place and tubes are routed well.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

AST2123

Postby AST2123 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:48 pm

SW0110 wrote:Hernia first. My history speaks for itself. After my hernia surgery. Titan no longer worked. Somehow coincidentally my reservoir no longer had saline in it and was a mess.

Revision 2 months after hernia surgery. Had both hernia and implant surgeon in or to fix this. Hernia was on right side with old titan reservoir.

Moved reservoir to left side and they had to make sure hernia fixed as well.

Like I said for past six months. If you have an implant make sure your hernia surgeon knows exactly where all those parts are. Not just him saying so. I would make sure he does an mri, ultrasound, etc to make sure. Safe than sorry.

If possible do like me if you are going local. They can do it together and probably use same hernia incision to make sure reservoir is in right place and tubes are routed well.

Of course having Hernia repair and implant in the same session would be great. In DC metro area, I believe Dr. kramer in MD and Tajkarimi in VA, are the best. Dr. Kramer doesn't do hernia repair, not sure about dr. Tajkarimi.
Finally Bionic

Return to “Implants”