Quick survey - what went wrong with your earlier implant that led you for a revision

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
proctor

Quick survey - what went wrong with your earlier implant that led you for a revision

Postby proctor » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi
As I am awaiting for my virgin surgery, I am excited for the prospect as well as scared to think that I may need a revision sooner than I am hoping for.

To take stock of what went wrong with earlier surgeried that requied a revision, I am trying to do a quik survey (which I hope will help future implantees with more info.
So, my question is-

Apart from picking the wrong surgeon, device issues (wear and tear and faulty manufacturing), what are the other factors that led to the revision of earlier implant. On hindsight, what would you do differently if you had the chance?

Please feel free to contribute to enrich our collective knowledge and try our best to avoid a revision (much earlier).
Rigicon Infla 10 AX , 18 Cm, 2 RTE, 110 ml. Dr Andrew Kramer

dg_moore

Re: Quick survey - what went wrong with your earlier implant that led you for a revision

Postby dg_moore » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:09 am

I got my Titan in 2008 but never used it (see my signature below). I inflated it maybe 2 or 3 times a year for a total of about 20-30 times. The implant quit working a couple of months ago - I have no idea why. I considered seeing Dr. Kramer to find out if he could diagnose the problem, but then decided that it wouldn't be worth the time since I'd have no intention of getting it fixed, and knowing why it failed would not be useful information.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Gt1956

Re: Quick survey - what went wrong with your earlier implant that led you for a revision

Postby Gt1956 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:53 am

Looks to me like you won't get many replies. Since most revisions are done under circumstances that fall under your exclusions clause. Why would someone self pay to change a working implant? Which is about how it would go based upon your question. Insurance isn't going to pay to replace a working implant.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

proctor

Postby proctor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:59 am

Gt1956 wrote:Looks to me like you won't get many replies. Since most revisions are done under circumstances that fall under your exclusions clause. Why would someone self pay to change a working implant? Which is about how it would go based upon your question. Insurance isn't going to pay to replace a working implant.

Ha ha, I dont mind. If picking an unskilled surgeon or device problem is the principal cause for revision rather than any accidents, poor maintenance, post OP behavioral issues, then perhaps I will stop having sleepless nights over any impending early revision.

Thanks to both for responding.

proctor

Postby proctor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:00 pm

dg_moore wrote:I got my Titan in 2008 but never used it (see my signature below). I inflated it maybe 2 or 3 times a year for a total of about 20-30 times. The implant quit working a couple of months ago - I have no idea why. I considered seeing Dr. Kramer to find out if he could diagnose the problem, but then decided that it wouldn't be worth the time since I'd have no intention of getting it fixed, and knowing why it failed would not be useful information.

Thanks, Dave.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:40 pm

The cause of the failure is not an issue. Many insurance plans pay to fix a device that is already in your body. So if it is working & you want a revision. It would almost certainly be a self pay.
The forum has plenty of stories about revisions & the reason the revision was done.
What is it that you're fishing for?
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Weazer

Postby Weazer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:56 pm

I had my revision done because it stopped working. Upon removal the it was found that the tubing was ruptured. The doctor told me he had never seen that big a break in the tubing. The Coloplast rep was there as well and said it would definitely be warrentied.
57, not married, Peyronies Disease in 2014, plication surgery 2016, failed, grafted in 2016, implant Dec. 27 2018. Titan 20cm +1RTE

proctor

Postby proctor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:44 pm

Gt1956 wrote:The cause of the failure is not an issue. Many insurance plans pay to fix a device that is already in your body. So if it is working & you want a revision. It would almost certainly be a self pay.
The forum has plenty of stories about revisions & the reason the revision was done.
What is it that you're fishing for?

Aiming to create a community of practice to avoid common pitfalls that lead to revision sans chooosing wrong surgeon or faulty device. lets see if its a realistic expectation.

proctor

Postby proctor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:46 pm

Weazer wrote:I had my revision done because it stopped working. Upon removal the it was found that the tubing was ruptured. The doctor told me he had never seen that big a break in the tubing. The Coloplast rep was there as well and said it would definitely be warrentied.

Thanks Weazer...did you find out the root cause of the breakage like rough use or anything like that

WhiteCane

Postby WhiteCane » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:39 pm

I’m getting my revision because the proximal stitches of my implant did not heal properly… I am on anti-rejection medications which make any healing process take a little bit longer… Basically, they think I started cycling about two weeks earlier than I should have and within the first month, the stitches broke and the left cylinder now resides in my scrotum… Unfortunately, I cannot afford to see the surgeon who originally did the surgery but, I’m quite confident I’ve found someone with a good head on their shoulders…
Implanted October 2019 Dr. Kramer lgx 18 cm +2 rear tips. Preop at 6.75 post op 5.25... awaiting revision… Implanted for possibility of having our first child.

Return to “Implants”