Preparing for implant at 25 - mindset

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Accutane2020

Preparing for implant at 25 - mindset

Postby Accutane2020 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:51 am

Hi guys, I have posted on here a few times regarding my situation - to cut a long story short pills/ injections do not work and I am now well under way in terms of getting the ball rolling for surgery. As a young man I am aware I will probably need many revisions. I want to know how people deal with the potential issue of an infection that can’t be salvaged? From the data it does look like a rare occurrence but it is a possibility at each surgery. I understand that if you are getting an implant then we are in a situation to start off with very little / no sexual functioning. However the idea of an implant gone wrong is fairly daunting. Is this something that people ever think of ?
Mid 20’s. Titan 22 cm + 1.5cm RTE. All good so far.

Old Guy

Re: Preparing for implant at 25 - mindset

Postby Old Guy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:10 am

Yes I thought about failure or infection many times since my implant.
Luckily no infections, most of these implants have antibacterial impregnated on the cylinders.
Failure? Yea that one scares me. I had such a tough recovery (5 months) it's something I don't ever want to repeat. But at this point it works, I'm happy but keeping my fingers crossed!
Bottom line- if you have a good surgeon there is always a fix.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

544kenmatt

Postby 544kenmatt » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:30 am

I'm sure we all have had the same thoughts. You have youth in your favor. Every surgical procedure carries the risk of infection.

You have to decide if the benefit outweighs the risk.

This decision must be made every time you take a pill, fly on an airplane, get behind the wheel. We are so used to these things, that we unconsciously make these decisions every day.

I think most would agree that your risk is extremely low, unless you have a chronic issue like diabetes or some other debilitating condition.
AMS 700 LGX 10/31/2019. age 63

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm

I think 544kenmatt is really spot on. Our lives are full of dangers that we pay no attention to because the danger risk is quite low. I've read several times that your own home is where most serious accidents occure. I knew a guy that broke a fluorescent bulb. Got a small cut where some of that white powder got in the cut. Spent several days in the hospital cause he was allergic to it. My own wife got an infection from a dental procedure. She has had several bone grafts to repair the bone that was damaged. Our dental insurance has been covering it without a single problem. Complications that happen during a covered procedure are covered.
Yes, infection is a real risk. But a very small risk if surgery is done by a skilled volume implant surgeon. You'll hear some of the surgeons talk about "one touch methods". That means a tool, gauze or other things can only touch you one time. It is discarded & a fresh one is used next. This is a method to keep from spreading infection.
As for revisions. I was reading some old posts. I found one member that claimed he was on his tenth implant. Don't let the "what if" fear stop you from getting an implant. Your ED is 100%. A complication is a maybe. Infection is a pretty well know risk of around .05% amongst the top implant guys. Even wearing out an implant is on the rare side considering how many are installed per year. Yes, by reading the forum you'd think that revisions are very common. But I think the common statistic says that after 5 years, something like 95% of them are still in use. (My numbers might be off some). Think for a minute, most guys that are happy with their implants quit visiting the forum. Only the dedicated guys that want to return something to others keep coming back.
Pick a past section of the forum post history. Maybe 5-6 years ago. Literally all of the names of the members won't be familiar.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Accutane2020 wrote:Hi guys, I have posted on here a few times regarding my situation - to cut a long story short pills/ injections do not work and I am now well under way in terms of getting the ball rolling for surgery. As a young man I am aware I will probably need many revisions. I want to know how people deal with the potential issue of an infection that can’t be salvaged? From the data it does look like a rare occurrence but it is a possibility at each surgery. I understand that if you are getting an implant then we are in a situation to start off with very little / no sexual functioning. However the idea of an implant gone wrong is fairly daunting. Is this something that people ever think of ?

I thought of that.

1) If the implant did not work to cure my E.D., I lose nothing, as my coital functioning was nil. I could still get an erection lasting less than a minute before collapse. I could still orgasm with a partially flaccid erection (oral or manual), but getting inside a woman's vagina was a lost cause before starting.

2) If the implant went terribly wrong and I lost those meager functions, how devastated would I be?

3) If the implant was successful, how happy would I be? (Part of that was happy even without a woman and part of that was, being able to get-at nearly 70 years of age- and SATISFY a woman)

The odds of #2 were slim provided I picked the right surgeon. The odds of #3a were fairly certain and #3b were, after some research on a dating site, estimated at pretty good.

#1 was 100% certain absent some miracle cure for my E.D. Note that an implant is not a cure. It is a treatment. Kind of like amputating a bum foot in favor of a prosthetic that restores the ability to walk and run, but without which you are wheelchair bound. Radical step, but if you can only hobble around without it and walk (possibly with a limp) and maybe run and jump with it, you have a choice to make.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

gene308

Postby gene308 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:40 pm

I was concerned I did this quick analysis: probability of infection with good surgeon 1 percent or less. Probability of succes with Mulchahy salvage over 8o percent. Probability of serious infection consequences =(.01 X .2) = .002. Out of 1000 procedures 998 will eventuall be ok. The 2 with problems probably had elevated risk going into surgery. I found these odds very comforting.
Gene308 married 43 years AMS 700 CX 21cm+2cm Implanted 10/04/2018 Dr James Hotaling (surgeon) and Mariah McCafferty, (Surgical Nurse and AMS rep) , University of Utah

gene308

Postby gene308 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 pm

I found the implant much more than a treatment. I found the implant to be a big ENHANCEMENT :D
Gene308 married 43 years AMS 700 CX 21cm+2cm Implanted 10/04/2018 Dr James Hotaling (surgeon) and Mariah McCafferty, (Surgical Nurse and AMS rep) , University of Utah

Return to “Implants”