Why AMS continues to have 70 percent market share?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Gt1956

Re: Why AMS continues to have 70 percent market share?

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Let's throw in another consideration. My doctor claimed that the AMS Inhibizone was the only/preferred implant for diabetics. Since most of the men are of a more "mature" age group. The prevalence towards type 2 diabetes is well known. He told me what his personal limit for A1C was. Btw, I forget it but I'm very well under his limit. But I do remember recently reading about a member that did get an implant. Was having healing problem & his A1C was several whole numbers above the limit that I was told. I felt bad for him but no sense beating him up about it. In our world some doctors are just better for their patients than others.
Tangerine, nice for you to post. Part of my gamble that I mentioned is that even now. I have a fairly decent flacid girth. Hopefully the LGX will compliment it. Like others have said. I'm sure that half of my household values girth over length. Just need enough length to deliver the girth.
Once again. I really want to suggest to others to do their own research for implants that match their conditions & above all else. Be honest with yourself.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

merrix

Postby merrix » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:44 pm

A few other potential reasons:

1 - They are simply better at operations and marketing and sales. Higher market share doesn't always mean better product. Price is also a factor of course, and so is supply chain. Availability, lead time. Not saying this is the reason, I have no idea. Just saying it could be a reason.
Just because Wilson sell more tennis rackets globally than Dunlop, does it necessarily mean they make better tennis rackets? No, not necessarily.

2 - A famous doc once told me that AMS is easier to install. Don't 100% remember why, but a hunch is that it was partly because of the thinner diameter of the non-inflatable part. Just easier for an unexperienced doc to put in place all the way into the crus. Hence, a low volume doc might not be comfortable with installing a Titan. Furthermore, the LGX, due to its cylinders expanding in length when inflating (and shrinking when deflating) will give some wiggle room for the length chosen. Doc can go a bit safe, install a slightly shorter implant, and still get the tips out in the glans when inflated.
This also makes it easier for the low volume doc.
And remember - an absolute majority or implant surgeons do less than 10 per year.
Maybe there is a reason that even though Titan only has 30% total market share, the Titan market share among the top three surgeons in the US is way higher, probably around 70%...

3 - Speaking of marketing, someone mentioned the name Titan sounds cool. Well, I think AMS has really made it marketing wise with their LGX, which many guys think will increase the length of their dicks.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

Captain1117

Postby Captain1117 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:22 pm

merrix wrote:A few other potential reasons:

1 - They are simply better at operations and marketing and sales. Higher market share doesn't always mean better product. Price is also a factor of course, and so is supply chain. Availability, lead time. Not saying this is the reason, I have no idea. Just saying it could be a reason.
Just because Wilson sell more tennis rackets globally than Dunlop, does it necessarily mean they make better tennis rackets? No, not necessarily.

2 - A famous doc once told me that AMS is easier to install. Don't 100% remember why, but a hunch is that it was partly because of the thinner diameter of the non-inflatable part. Just easier for an unexperienced doc to put in place all the way into the crus. Hence, a low volume doc might not be comfortable with installing a Titan. Furthermore, the LGX, due to its cylinders expanding in length when inflating (and shrinking when deflating) will give some wiggle room for the length chosen. Doc can go a bit safe, install a slightly shorter implant, and still get the tips out in the glans when inflated.
And remember - an absolute majority or implant surgeons do less than 10 per year.
Maybe there is a reason that even though Titan only has 30% total market share, the Titan market share among the top three surgeons in the US is way higher, probably around 70%...

3 - Speaking of marketing, someone mentioned the name Titan sounds cool. Well, I think AMS has really made it marketing wise with their LGX, which many guys think will increase the length of their dicks.

Thanks..valid points.
Who is the number 3 surgeon..if Dr Eid and Kramer are 1 and 2.
" The greatest benefit of an implant is that a man stops thinking about ED."-Dr.Eid

48, healthy, straight, single.ED after turning 40. AMS LGX implanted by Dr.Yonah Krakowski in June 2023.

medhatg

Postby medhatg » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:42 pm

I had an LGX that failed after 2.5 years due to aneurysm in the left cylinder.
I talked to the top 5 surgeons in the US and they all had the consensus that LGX is the weakest of them all. One of them even told me that "I would never put an LGX in my body". At the end, both Dr. Perito and Dr. Karpman s recommended a Titan for me as a first choice and CX as a second choice. I needed up with a 24 CM CX by Dr. Karpman as the CX was covered under warranty so I save a north of $9,000 in the implant cost.

merrix

Postby merrix » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 pm

Captain1117 wrote:
merrix wrote:A few other potential reasons:

Thanks..valid points.
Who is the number 3 surgeon..if Dr Eid and Kramer are 1 and 2.

Perito.
I think Perito does almost 100% Titan.
Same with Eid.
Kramer used to be same, then went over to mostly AMS, but now it seems he is somewhere in 50-50 land.
Anyway, if you take the average of something like 100, 90 and 50 - you get 80.
That must mean something...
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Having had both, I would say:
1) Inhibizone coating
2) Most promoted
3) Ease of installation
4) Customer service is helpful

Try getting someone on the phone with Coloplast or some answers from them. You would have better luck trying to convince a priest that Satanism is a better alternative. Their customer service sucks. AMS/Boston have people that will work with your insurance for approval, finance programs in selected states(if they still have it), and well versed on the needed codes to make it happen. 1/2 of the nurses that call insurance have no idea the proper code to make it happen in your situation, often using a lump sum fit all code that is rejected.

That all said, I stand by my advantages and disadvantages previously stated for both. Cheers.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

vajim1

Postby vajim1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:24 am

My doctor does both, for me he looked at my penis and took both hands and started at the base and kind of massaged it out to the glans. I think he was feeling for scar tissue as I told him my penis curved some. When he was done he told me that I was a perfect candidate for a Titan. I was under the impression that it was the choice for guys with peyronies and longer (maybe thicker) penises. I still have some curve but it works great! :D
76 year old fart. Prostate removed Oct. 9, 2017,Psa 30 days after .15 next Psa .2. 37 Radiation treatments for recurrent cancer, 1 year out Psa .033 ZERO ERECTIONS, implanted Sept 5 2019 Dr. Lentz Duke Raleigh N.C. Titan 22cm.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Captain1117 wrote:I am not disagreeing with what you said. ..

If we assume that
1. Coloplast is more attractive to patients because of the name Titan
and
2. Surgeons decide what brand is a best option for a particular patient(and they are not biased)

then

We would see at least 50 50 market share or a little bit more in favour of Coloplast.

These two assumptions doesnt rexplain why Coloplast has 30 percent market share.
thats what I am trying to understand..

Consider the subset population of men for whom the Coloplast has advantages over the AMS (which might be slight or might be great)
Consider the subset population of men for whom the AMS has advantages over the Coloplast (which might be slight or might be great)
Consider the subset population of men for whom both are equally appropriate
Consider that some men may have a definite preference (aside from the surgeon's preference with whom they might agree or disagree)
Consider that some insurance providers (or other payers) may have influence over the choice

It is well known that the uninflated Coloplast device is stiffer than the uninflated AMS devices, leaving (particularly shorter) penises permanently semi-erect. It is also well-known that the greater length-to-diameter ratio in a column requires more stiffness to resist buckling (look up "Column Strength") and since Coloplast devices are made with larger diameters in mind, Euler's Formula for buckling resistance clearly shows the Coloplast is superior in that regard. Fortunately for AMS, it is only at the extreme end of the penile size where this is a critical factor. It is also well known that the AMS produces are easier to live with because they are more flaccid when uninflated for all sizes.

Then there is the question of marketing practices, both legitimate and under-the-table. Whether the under-the-table practices are real or "conspiracy theory" dross is open to question.

Why does AMS continue with a larger market share? Probably because the products appropriately fit into more men (physically and lifestyle) than Coloplast. Not that Coloplast is a "niche" product, but Coloplast is made for a smaller subset population than the AMS.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Captain1117

Postby Captain1117 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Valuable inputs overall..

I guess Titan is ahead in rigidity and girth.
Most men would take those two things .
Most high volume surgeon( who are'nt looking for AMS's easier implant installation and antibiotic coating) seems to select the Titan for giving men what they love most ---a girthy and rigid penis, with erection on command.

Except the flacid rigidity issue..cant think of any negatives.
I am a lean muscular guy with 13 cm erect penis. I have had two rounds of dermal filler under my penis skin so girth curently close to 5.5 inches in circumference at the widest parts of the shaft. Though my original girth was 4.45 inches in circumference. So not sure if my corpora is wide enough for Titan.
" The greatest benefit of an implant is that a man stops thinking about ED."-Dr.Eid

48, healthy, straight, single.ED after turning 40. AMS LGX implanted by Dr.Yonah Krakowski in June 2023.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:34 pm

Captain1117 wrote:Valuable inputs overall..

I guess Titan is ahead in rigidity and girth.
Most men would take those two things .
Most high volume surgeon( who are'nt looking for AMS's easier implant installation and antibiotic coating) seems to select the Titan for giving men what they love most ---a girthy and rigid penis, with erection on command.

Except the flacid rigidity issue..cant think of any negatives.
I am a lean muscular guy with 13 cm erect penis. I have had two rounds of dermal filler under my penis skin so girth curently close to 5.5 inches in circumference at the widest parts of the shaft. Though my original girth was 4.45 inches in circumference. So not sure if my corpora is wide enough for Titan.

In my opinion (particularly for you because of your girth and dermal filler history), it would be best to engage a surgeon who has both manufacturers' devices available during surgery. Many surgeons have the manufacturer's representative in the surgical suite with a selection of sizes, but have to schedule that presence in advance and none to my (limited) knowledge have both represented on the same day. So, the election of which manufacturer must be made in advance of being able to take the patient's internal measurements for sizing.

Only a high-volume surgeon would have the requisite inventory actually on hand.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Return to “Implants”