Check list of questions

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
gregorbehr

Check list of questions

Postby gregorbehr » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Seeing the new urologist today, and after chatting with several guys and doing a bit of my own research, I've put together this list of questions to go over with the doc.
Of course, I'm sure there are things I've forgotten and not all questions will apply to everyone's personal situation, but thought I'd share what I've come up for me.

1. Do you conduct an exam to check for a venous leak?

2. How many implants do you do a month?

3. What is your post-op infection rate?

4. Do you have IV based antibiotics administered pre-op?

5. What is your replacement rate of implant surgeries you have performed?

6. Because of size loss and corporal fibrosis in your opinion would I be a candidate for the LGX?

7. If not which, would you recommend for me and how do you make that decision?

8. How do you determine sizing to prevent bending of the penile shaft, or the glans bending at the point where the cylinders end?

9. Since my scrotum is on the “high and tight” side, will that be an issue for the pump bulb?

10.. Is there a company representative in the OR with you during the surgery?

11. What is the expected longevity of the implant, should I expect needing a replacement before I'm 50?

12. What are the most common causes of mechanical failure; pump bulb, cylinders leaking…?

13. What are the common complications during surgery?

14. What are the common post-op complications; nerve damage, loss of sensation, post-op incontinence…?

15. Have you ever penetrated a urethra during an implant?

16. If penetrated urethra would it be wise to repair and continue implant?

17. Do you use the scrotal or pubic incision to place the implant, why one over the other?

18. How long does the surgery usually take to complete?

19. What can I expect to happen day of surgery?

20. How long would I stay in the hospital?

21. What do you to to help alleviate post-op pain: liquid anesthetic at the incision area (plus penis and scrotum), oral meds and such?

22. What are the post-op instructions; for pain, lifting, icing, undergarments/clothing, rest?

23. How long should I plan to be off of work?

24. What is the usual schedule for post-op follow up appointments; days, weeks, months...?

25. How long after surgery do I wait to begin practicing pumping up the implant?

26. How long after surgery do I wait before sexual intercourse?

27. How long after surgery do I wait before masturbating (without inflating the implant)?

28. Do you have former implant patients who would be willing to speak to me about their experiences with the surgery and the implant?

29. Should I continue to use the VED prior to surgery to keep the penile tissue stretchy and blood flowing?

30. What information will MRI techs would need to know about the implant? I found this on the Titan, can similar information be found for AMS implants:
*MRI Conditional
Static magnetic field of 3 Tesla or less
Spatial gradient field of 720 Gauss/cm or less.
Maximum whole-body-averaged specification absorption rate (SAR) of 3W/kg
for 15 minutes of scanning produced a temperature rise of less that 0.5˚C.

31. Can your office staff work with my insurance company to find out what my EXACT co-pay for the entire procedure will be? And/or If I call my insurance company to determine my coverage and copay, what exact procedure should I tell them I am having and what is the procedure CPT Code?"
51, San Francisco
Diabetic: used pills & injections.
2 TURP surgeries caused Peyronie's. 1st implant lost to infection, 2nd one is about 5 years old. But "floppy head" due to all the scar tissue, couldn't get tips all the way up.

sabaone

Re: Check list of questions

Postby sabaone » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Just got around to looking at the last page in the Implant section, and hit a goldmine. This coming Monday I have my first consultation with the urologist, and have been thinking of questions to ask. Many in your list I have already thought of but you have also given me a few new ideas, Thanks
Sabaone
DOB:2/1940; 4 Oct 2011, date of Robotic surgery
Gleason 3+4=7
Cancer confined to one lobe, did not enter capsule

gregorbehr

Postby gregorbehr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:13 am

Now that was some time ago, and here I am trying not to scratch that itchy stitches of my 2nd implant!
I think a few things I would add to that list... feel like you have some sort of connection to the doc. Nothing worse than a surgeon who is just trying to rush you through the process/surgery. And don't be afraid to walk away from a surgeon if you're getting the vibe that he just isn't the right person to operate on your penis! I wish I would have followed my own advice for the doc that did my first implant.
My second surgeon was been awesome! We spent an entire year just dealing with all the nerve damage and some heavy scar tissue caused by the first failed implant. He never once left me feeling an appointment with him was rushed or he was too busy to care about me. He's given me his personal cell number, texted and checked in on me post-op, and took 5 hours to do my implant because he found even more scar tissue to deal with than he anticipated... and didn't want to just rush through it.
Good luck!
51, San Francisco
Diabetic: used pills & injections.
2 TURP surgeries caused Peyronie's. 1st implant lost to infection, 2nd one is about 5 years old. But "floppy head" due to all the scar tissue, couldn't get tips all the way up.

SR68GTO

Postby SR68GTO » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi gregorbehr,

You say you are on your second surgery. Can you share what happened from your first surgery causing you to go back for a second try?

I had an inflatable Implanted back on July 7th. Three weeks later had to be removed due to suspected infection and was replaced with a semi-rigid device. 7+ weeks after the second surgery ... I still have pain which is making me "nuts". My doc put in the semi-rigid in so things would remain "open" for a second try at an inflatable maybe 9 months to a year from now.

The semi-rigid, I believe, is going to prove to be very annoying due to the continuous erection but because of the pain I have been feeling I am just not sure if I want to go through it again.

What was your experience?

Return to “Implants”