Questions for IPP surgeon as part of "due diligence"

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Up4Real?

Questions for IPP surgeon as part of "due diligence"

Postby Up4Real? » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:34 am

I am posting the list below that might be helpful in being fully informed to avoid any misunderstandings and avoiding unmet expectations. Feel free to improve on the list.
I am scheduled to have an IPP place in late May with a pre-surgical appoinment 2 weeks prior. Given the current Covid-19 circumstances that may change.

1 Volume of cases?

2 Objectively-how do you rate implant success? & minimize infections

3 What lends itself to success? Failure?

4 Types of surgery? How different? His / Her preference & why? Pen-scrotal vs. infra pubic

5. Preference for me. AMS vs Coloplast and why?

6. Rear tip extensions- when and why used? If chosen implant being installed doesn't turn out to be a good match can you remove and replace or do you just get by? Or add rear tip extenders? How to insure the penis is not “wobbly”?

7. Thoughts on VED before and after implant? Recommended protocol? Thoughts on post-surgery inflation & scarring?

8. Your evaluation of my band of fibrous tissue mid shaft.

9. Do you have any youtube videos of surgeries?

10. Size, appearance? Are you able to estimate ahead of time? Specifically, my size?

11. Expectations of a floppy glans or not? Sensitivity and ability to climax? Is implant placed up into the glans? Why is there confusion on this issue when the implant can’t be extended beyond the corpus cavernosa? Right?

12. Penile ring requirement?

13. Acceptance of wife? How to maximize the likelihood?

14. Refractory period as relates to being able to stay erected or become erect in a short period of time.

15. What should I be concerned about and not be concerned about?

16. If you were not going to do the implant due to some unknown reason(s), scheduling, distance or ?, Who would you recommend?

17. Regarding Coloplast: How to avoid deflate problems? When do you use the “one touch” and when you use a prior pump model? Which one?

18. Your evaluation of the longevity of brands of IPP? It is my understanding that there is a high level of satisfaction with either of the major brands. What do I have control of to increase my chances of that level of satisfaction?

19. Can you work with an anesthesiologist that will use spinal anesthesia & versed or something similar vs general anesthesia? After a surgery I had under general anesthesia several months ago I felt “dumbed down” in measurable ways. I also have voice concerns from intubation: I still get a raspy (close to becoming hoarse) off and on that I assume is related to irritated vocal cords. I never had that problem before that surgery. It is also my understanding that with a spinal there is an advantage of blood pooling in the penis which enables maximizing the size of the inflated penis.

20. Thank you!
1947-76YO Uncut Married 47 years to supportive wife. Serious ED at 65YO. Used pills, VED, rings, Muse, Increasing Trimix: discontinued with 85 units of 80/3/25 didn't work. Got peyronies. 22cm Coloplast Titan 11/18/20. Legacy pump.125ml reservoir. Pleased

Lost Sheep

Re: Questions for IPP surgeon as part of "due diligence"

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Not a question that would be a deal-breaker. Though my surgeon was sensitive to my male psyche, he did not talk to my girlfriend in any detail.
Up4Real? wrote:13. Acceptance of wife? How to maximize the likelihood?

Surgeons are not known for their attention to the mental processes of their patients. They are more like mechanics. "Fix the physical problem and move on." This is not to denigrate surgeons and many are caring, sensitive caregivers, but the surgeon is not a psychiatrist and their specialty is the physical, not the relational. He (or she) may have good advice and a wealth of experience and advice in helping couples cope with the changes in their lives, but that is not the primary reason you selected the surgeon, is it?

Of course, if you find a surgeon who does both, that would be ideal. But it it was a choice between a brusque but highly skilled surgeon concentrating on fixing my dick or one who divides attention (and skills), I would choose the surgical superstar and deal with the relationship issues with another who specializes in that focus.
This question's answer should be the same for any man.
Up4Real? wrote:14. Refractory period as relates to being able to stay erected or become erect in a short period of time.

The implant stays erect during the refractory period just as well as it gets erect in a penis that cannot get erect on its own.

Now, the man still has a refractory period. The spongiosum tissue may soften (around the still-erect cavernosum tissue) and the man's energy and ardor levels may fall. But the erection stays and coitus can continue in the same penetration or the couple can change positions any number of times. The erection is hydro-mechanical, not hormonal or emotional at all, so it endures and can continue "grinding away" regardless.

The primary determining factors in my choice of surgeon was 2) the fact that he said he would be serving men with E.D. as a specialty (and doing implants) if he were in private practice and 1) the fact that respected and appreciated the fact that I had done extensive research and talked to me as a part of my medical care team, not merely a recipient of that care.

Good luck. Good questions.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Up4Real?

Re: Questions for IPP surgeon as part of "due diligence"

Postby Up4Real? » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks for your input Lost Sheep.
1947-76YO Uncut Married 47 years to supportive wife. Serious ED at 65YO. Used pills, VED, rings, Muse, Increasing Trimix: discontinued with 85 units of 80/3/25 didn't work. Got peyronies. 22cm Coloplast Titan 11/18/20. Legacy pump.125ml reservoir. Pleased

Return to “Implants”