AMS pump failure

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
dcmusc

AMS pump failure

Postby dcmusc » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. I am at 2.5 years on my lgx. It has been great. But last week, something happened that I am not sure about. After pumping to the max, the pump squished (not flat, but no longer rock hard). I am still able to pump to what feels like max, but then if I really push it, about half the time, I get this squish. If I push the deflate button, the pump hardens up and again and I can pump to max.

So, wondering if this is a sign of impending failure, or, if I was indeed able to utilize the ability of the lgx to stretch (I have gained a 1/2 inch length and at least that if not more on girth) have I now utilized all the saline in the reservoir and at the max point of pumping, there is no more saline and the pump is no longer hard.

I honestly can't say if I have lost any hardness. And it also does not do it all the time. Would appreciate any input. Contacted doctor, but he is not sure.
56. Implanted 8/23/17 by Dr. Kramer. AMS LGX 700 21cm + 2. Developed a leak. Revised to Titan 24cm 5/20/20 by Dr. McGraw in Las Vegas.

Lost Sheep

Re: AMS pump failure

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:08 pm

Sure sounds like you are using up all the saline. Through one of two likely causes.

1 As you surmise, expanding the LGX now uses all the saline that was there at installation. This does not seem like a good surgical technique. To install an implant that is expected to perhaps take to 20% more (length-expanding as it is) volume. (I know the length-expanding is supposed to be between flaccid and inflated, but still there should, I think, be some allowance for stretching of the implant from early inflated to years-later inflated.) Opening the scrotum, cutting a tube, filling more saline into the device and reconnecting the tubing might work and be easily accomplished, avoiding a revision.

2 Some of the saline has leaked out of the device. If this is the case, you will ultimately not be able to pump up to fill pressure before the bulb flattening occurs and it will slowly (more or less) get worse until the saline is replaced or the device is replaced. Replacing the saline without finding and fixing the leak will invite a repeat of the problem, so a revision would probably be ordered.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

dcmusc

Postby dcmusc » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks for the response. I thought as much. I am inclined to think it is option 1 only because I have gained the size (very surprised). I have contacted the doctor and the revision without insurance is very expensive. Looking into if I am covered. Changed companies as the result of a move.

Anyway, it is still working, and 50% of the time, this does not happen. This morning, it did not occur. Thats why I am thinking it is option one, I assume I am not always able to get the extra length/girth, so I have enough saline.

We will see.
56. Implanted 8/23/17 by Dr. Kramer. AMS LGX 700 21cm + 2. Developed a leak. Revised to Titan 24cm 5/20/20 by Dr. McGraw in Las Vegas.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:55 am

How big is your reservoir? KRAMER could not make a mistake. OMG
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Return to “Implants”