Penile Implant Lifespan Poll

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
1Roofer

Penile Implant Lifespan Poll

Postby 1Roofer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:05 pm

Of younger guys or other members that use their implants regularly how long have you had a implant last before a revision. I’m trying to poll the frequency of use to see if that will always make them fail. Also, I’ve currently gone through 2 Coloplast 22cms & am wondering about switching to an AMS product. Have anyone made a swap & it seemed to last longer than the Coloplast
Implanted by Dr. Hakky on August 6th, 2018 Coloplast 22 cm. Genesis pump failure 8/17/19. Revision 9/10/2019. Genesis pump failed 2/27/2020 while having sex. Second revision scheduled 4/7/2020 with new Titan One Touch pump instead of Genesis

Lost Sheep

Re: Penile Implant Lifespan Poll

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:15 pm

For what it's worth, a couple years ago, Dr. Eid told me that the service life of the two manufacturers' devices are about the same. So, essentially, not a factor in making the decision between them.

The modes of failure differed. AMS devices marginally more often failed in the implant tubes. Coloplast devices marginally more often in the tubing connectors.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

smithfield

Postby smithfield » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:04 pm

This didn't seem to be much of a poll, but I'm going to add my 2 cents. Just had my first revision. First implant lasted me for 11 years. Had different monogamous relationships for probably 8 of those years. Used the device maybe on average 2 or 3 times a week during the 8 years out of 11.

My doc for this revision said that the second one usually lasts less amount of time; he approximated 7 years or so. He thinks that after this one the lifespan will be longer simply because my sex life will be less frequent. The original doctor told me my first implant would last 7-10 years so I'm hoping this second one will last a bit longer than was quoted.

-------------------------------------------------------
ED caused by trauma -- 2nd implant installed 3/6/2020 -- 35 years old -- AMS 700 15cm -- Dr. Cohen @ Johns Hopkins

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:05 pm

smithfield wrote:(edited for focus)
My doc for this revision said that the second one usually lasts less amount of time;

I suppose he did not take into account that the more recently made implants might be better made from lessons learned in the intervening 11 years?

At least, I hope the manufacturers are taking lessons learned to improve their products, at least incrementally.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:36 pm

[quote="Lost Sheep"]For what it's worth, a couple years ago, Dr. Eid told me that the service life of the two manufacturers' devices are about the same. So, essentially, not a factor in making the decision between them.
The modes of failure differed. AMS devices marginally more often failed in the implant tubes. Coloplast devices marginally more often in the tubing connectors.
I suppose he did not take into account that the more recently made implants might be better made from lessons learned in the intervening 11 years?
At least, I hope the manufacturers are taking lessons learned to improve their products, at least incrementally.[/quote]

Lost Sheep, I think you're hitting pretty close. But let's look at this from the manufacturers point of view. Basically the return on the improvement costs. Since the majority of the target market is older men. Spending the R & D money to make an implant with a 30 year life expectancy doesn't make sense. Especially if the health insurance industry will cover a replacement of a failed implant. Remember, the insurance companies are not paying the list price on the claims. I strongly suspect that the players (health insurance & implant makers) have done the math. Future improvements will likely be in small increments if any at all.
Oh, a markedly improved implant could lead to class action lawsuits by every man who has the old (now inferior) implant.
I don't have the knowledge on this. Does anyone know how many changes have been made in say the last 5 years?
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

David_R

Postby David_R » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:18 pm

I got an implant in 2002 (CX) and it lasted 12 years. I got a replacement one (LGX) in 2014 and after 6 years it is still working great!
Wife and I are happy! :D :D

RayChez

Postby RayChez » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 pm

My first implant lasted fifteen years and was used at least three times a week. It was an AMS 700. Not sure which of the AMS 700 it was, but to release a full erection you would squeeze the block. Now this new MS has a button.
age: 75 First implant around 2001, 59 at the time. AMS 700 Ultrex
revision Dec 2016. 2ND implant 21CM, 1rte AMS 700 LGX MS pump

medhatg

Postby medhatg » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:05 pm

My implant AMS 700 failed after 2.5 years. I inflated it to have sex and I noticed a bulge in one of the tubes. I did not give it much attention, and as soon as I started penetration, I heard a pop like a balloon burst and that was it.
I'm so stressed out right now as all doctors do not want to even see you. It look like all the fluid is now in my scrotum and it is swollen. Anyway, hopefully this Corona fiasco will end soon and I'll get my revision, and like terminator said "I'll be back", lol. I'll try to go for Titan this time.

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 am

roofer,
A study measured a large number of used IPPs. The LGX lasted an average of 29 months the CX lasted 39 months and the Titan 48 months. The LGX grew in length twice as fast as all the others. Apparently all IPPs stretch. Before everyone gets excited. The LGX only grew an average of 1/64 of an inch per month. So 1/4 inch every 16 months. The others grew 1/4 inch every 32 months on average.
More than 1750 used LGX cylinders were included. Titans were the lowest number of cylinders included. Obviously that is because A the LGX is much more popular and B the Titan lasts on average nearly twice as long. I posted the url last year I think don't have it anymore.
Hope this helps.
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

medhatg

Postby medhatg » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:48 am

DougAnd wrote:roofer,
A study measured a large number of used IPPs. The LGX lasted an average of 29 months the CX lasted 39 months and the Titan 48 months. The LGX grew in length twice as fast as all the others. Apparently all IPPs stretch. Before everyone gets excited. The LGX only grew an average of 1/64 of an inch per month. So 1/4 inch every 16 months. The others grew 1/4 inch every 32 months on average.
More than 1750 used LGX cylinders were included. Titans were the lowest number of cylinders included. Obviously that is because A the LGX is much more popular and B the Titan lasts on average nearly twice as long. I posted the url last year I think don't have it anymore.
Hope this helps.

LGX -> 29 months: this is exactly how it lasted for me. It seems that Penile Implant is a very expensive hobby. lol.

Return to “Implants”