Post surgery attire for flight home

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
b_rad2

Post surgery attire for flight home

Postby b_rad2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:21 pm

Thought I would reach out to those that traveled for surgery.

I’m two weeks out from the installation of my 3 piece Titan PD transformer package. It’s the trip home post surgery that has me the most worried (at this particular moment). We will be flying home from NYC to Denver on March 8th.

My question is about what clothes to wear on the flight home? I’m trying to start putting things together and would like to have them before hand and not have to send my wife out on a quest to find items in an unfamiliar city.

Suggestions on underwear for comfort and discretion? I had some of the David Archy dual pouch underwear and they were uncomfortable to me. I know this subject has come up several times on the forum but for those who traveled before me, what clothes did you find comfortable and what clothes should I avoid? Was there something you wished you had brought with you and didn’t for the 4 night hotel stay?

Thanks

Lost Sheep

Re: Post surgery attire for flight home

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of threads in the forum that address your question. Sorry, I don't have links to them.

When I first joined FrankTalk, I took a couple weekends to read through two and a half years of posts/threads with titles that interested me and appeared informative. I recommend this to you. It will give you a better basis for forming questions and understanding the answers. This will also help get your medical team to accept you as a contributing partner in the decision-making.

On another note: I recommend documenting your size (length and girth) by careful measurement and photographs. Make sure your measurement protocol is repeatable (you will want to measure after surgery also). The most widely used measurement is to press a measuring tool against your pubic bone just above your penis, compressing the pubic fat pad as much as possible and measuring (straight) to the tip of your penis (not following the curve around to the tip, but just straight out like a shoe store measures your foot to the tip of your toe - but you can follow the curve of your penis' shaft.) Girth is measurement of circumference at the midpoint of your penis. Some choose to find the girthiest part, instead. Usually the two points are the same or very close.

Good luck on your surgery.

When I was contemplating flying to the find a more experienced surgeon than I could find in my home town, I resolved that I would arrange with the airlines to have wheelchair transport available at each stop.

The hospital gave me an athletic supporter to keep my partially inflated penis under control. That, and a great deal of padding by the bandages made sweat pants my choice of attire on the way home.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Greg1956

Postby Greg1956 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:32 pm

I did not travel for surgery, but I can tell you I pretty much lived in sweat pants the first couple weeks. I think for most newly implanted guys, the penis tends to stick out. That comes from a combination of being left partially inflated after surgery and the trauma to the penis makes it less flexible so it doesn’t easily flatten against the stomach. Therefore, I suggest a sweatshirt or other too that’s larger than you would normally wear, both to hang low to cover your crotch and to be looser to hide any tenting. At the airport they make you remove jackets to go through security so don’t count on that to conceal your bulge.

Best wishes for a great surgery.
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 pm

I was going too fly to EID but changed my mind. to keep price of travel down, I think it was American I found I could fly to NY coach and fly back home in a upgraded business class so I could lay down in my seat on the way home. You may call your airline and see what they can do for you. I agree with the bulky sweats. Also get the wheel chair service on the return trip. Let them know you are coming home from a surgery. They will bend over backwards to make you comfortable.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Biker60

Postby Biker60 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 am

Sweat pants. The heavier version and try sepratech boxers. I got them from amazon. Still can only wear sweats and scrubs. Now 7 weeks post op.

NextStepImplant

Postby NextStepImplant » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:00 am

Heavy sweat pants for sure. A baggy hoodie will also help conceal. I would not be caught dead in David Archie underwear. Those things are nighttmare fuel. I would be less embarrassed to wear women’s underwear actually. Just wear some not so tight boxers. It’s gonna be sore down there so boxers for sure.

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:22 pm

I believe you're seeing Dr Eid, right? If so you will leave surgery bandaged up and a heavy-duty jock strap over everything. I kept wearing that jock strap with cotton jockey shorts underneath for about a week. It's comfortable, very little bulge, and keeps everything tightly in place.

I would suggest you leave the catheter in for the trip home and remove it yourself at home. You really don't want to have to use an airplane bathroom so soon after the surgery, that would be inconvenient and unpleasant. Dr Eid had no hesitation about leaving my catheter in for my 6 hour flight home and that was the right decision.

For pants I wore some stretchy track pants and nothing showing including the cath bag, just walked through TSA no problems.
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

Return to “Implants”