Impact of doctor on implant size?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Greg1956

Re: Impact of doctor on implant size?

Postby Greg1956 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:11 am

Luther,
My main comment for you is it’s extremely important to have trust and faith in your surgeon throughout this process and if you are already doubting him it may be smart to look for another doctor. My doctor is not a high volume surgeon, but I completely trust him. He did my Prostatectomy surgeon and I had perfect results without any of the typical side effects. I did a lot of homework and he came highly recommended by a couple of the high volume docs.

I have found from many of the other posts I have read here that most docs are very hesitant to make promises about size and try to get men to focus on the benefits of having the implant. My doctor did a stretch test and it was about 4”. I had Peyronies so my shaft wasn’t as flexible as it had been previously. I had measured and by massaging it I got to 5”!without even getting an erection. He told me all he can do is what my body allowed him to do.

After my implant surgery my doc told me he scraped the Peyronies plaque and was able to use a considerably longer implant. My surgery was 2.5 years ago and for quite a long time I have had my full original size back. Now it is 6.75” so quite different from the 4” he said he could promise.

Upsizing can cause problems so I would be hesitant to go with a surgeon who uses that word. Your penis is large so it is likely you will get a Titan device. Upsizing has caused “dog ears” for some other guys. Your penis is a defined length and when a device longer than that length is inserted into it there is nowhere for it to go so it tends to fold. Upsizing also can cause the inside of the glans to be painful and even erode. Several men here have had revision surges to go back and get the proper size.

That said, some doctors are better at correctly sizing the implant to maximize your post-op length. That is what mine did. I think there are doctors who error too much in the side of caution and end up under sizing. When that occurs the cylinders sometimes stop short of the glands and causes it to be floppy for sex. It also makes it more difficult to get significant pressure for cycling which is the common post-op exercise to maximize your length.

I have been to many doctors for various medical problems and also have found a lot of them are simply not great communicators, but are good doctors. In your case I believe you would be most comfortable getting a second opinion, but when you compare the two you may find you get the same types of answers. We all want big dicks, but be as cautious of a doc who will aggressively oversized your implant as one who won’t promise how big it will be. In other words, just hearing someone will make it larger does not mean you will get better results.
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

Crtrader

Postby Crtrader » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am

Lost sheep- agree 100% on your thoughts on a surgeon. I was trying to decide between a high volume “guru” at a teaching hospital and Urologist who does not do nearly as many implants, but does a lot of other surgery’s. He does a lot of vasectomy reversals. If he can reattach those small arteries he’s good! Someone said to me at a teaching hospital a student would probably “assist” with the operation. I chose the independent urologist.

Luther

Postby Luther » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:19 am

Thank you again for the valuable feedback. I have written my surgeon an email asking for more details about the procedure used, e.g. the way the size of the implant cylinder is chosen based on the measurement of the dilated corpus cavernosa, and which post-operative procedure is followed.

I found these studies helpful as well:

Strategies for maintaining penile size following penile implant:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4708606/

Comparison of a New Length Measurement Technique for Inflatable Penile Prosthesis Implantation to Standard Techniques: Outcomes and Patient Satisfaction:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9515336377

Pseudo-capsule “coffin effect” - How to prevent penile retraction after implant of three-piece inflatable prosthesis:
https://pagepressjournals.org/index.php ... 2014.2.135

Patient satisfaction and penile morphology changes with postoperative penile rehabilitation 2 years after Coloplast Titan prosthesis:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5000799/

Implementation of length expanding inflatable penile prosthesis is not sufficient to prevent postsurgical penile shortening:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6337945/
26cm Titan (no RTE), Dr. van Renterghem (Belgium), October 2023.

Return to “Implants”