How to Understand If Your Implant is Shorter Than It Could've Been

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Lost Sheep

Re: How to Understand If Your Implant is Shorter Than It Could've Been

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Edited to add: I just noticed that Sensei made the same observation I posted, but a hour before me.
mr.henry wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:
mr.henry wrote:Hey,

Patients face dramatic size loss when they're implanted the second time after an implant removal. I guess the reason for that is somehow related to what I meant while saying "the penis is not getting any blood".
Thanks.

Eh, not what I've read & heard. A well known high volume surgeon says right on camera in a YouTube video. Most revisions allow an increased length implant to be used. I would hardly call that a dramatic size loss. Please consider naming a source for this data.

Of course, pal.

The second last sentence of the abstract. Here you go: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3126071/

It is necessary to read the whole abstract. The last TWO sentences fill out the answer to the question

A salvage procedure, during which the wound is thoroughly washed with antiseptic solutions after device removal and placement of a new implant during the same procedure, has a high success rate and is becoming a popular approach. The alternative, device removal with return at a later date for placing a new implant, entails a more difficult corporal dilation, and the resulting erection is noticeably shorter. Patient and partner satisfaction with a penile implant is the highest among all of the treatments for ED.

The alternative method, removing an INFECTED implant and NOT immediately replacing it with another implant does result in a shorter end result (to which I add, "absent any size-preserving intervention - I am thinking vacuum therapy or penis tensioning).

I note that it is common practice to replace an infected implant with (at least) a malleable implant in order to preserve penile size. I also note that upon revision after implant failure (not complicated by infection) it is common that the second implant is longer than the virgin implant. Though, I hasten to add that one study I read to determine if the longer implant results in a longer penis was inconclusive. The longer implant may be "absorbed" by compression of tissues in the crus or in the glans.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Frenchboy

Postby Frenchboy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Give it some months. Take time to cycle and heal. My first Cx was like that, I really felt that it was undersized, and then with good inflation and residual erection it was top and trully enjoyable.
Be aware that premature implant revision is not a good choice. You ve got to wait 6 months to see the final result and can have another surgery because healing fully before doing anything else is important.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:44 pm

Are there wrinkles or folds in the implant's inflatable tubes that, when straightened out, would allow the tips to reach further up into your glans? You should be able (absent swelling or pain) to feel them, I think.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

mr.henry

Postby mr.henry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 am

Lost Sheep wrote:Are there wrinkles or folds in the implant's inflatable tubes that, when straightened out, would allow the tips to reach further up into your glans? You should be able (absent swelling or pain) to feel them, I think.

I don't know, looks normal and flat. So lets try to address your question this way:

When fully inflated, I do feel slight pain but still can hold the penis at the middle and stretch down. This results in a fully-supported glance. I think this is a good indicator there's lack of support by tips to the glance.

mr.henry

Postby mr.henry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:22 am

Dear Sensei and Lost Sheep:

I am aware that a second implant will most probably go upsize, because implants are tissue-stretching devices.

What I meant when I said "The second implant is noticably shorter" is what happens after 6 months spent with "no prosthesis & no cavernosum". This loss of size is guaranteed and causes from lack of oxygenation as the cells in tunica albugenia cannot meet with enough blood.

Taking this as a base, I thought I'd lose my lacking 1" as the tunica is healing on the new short size of my penis, I mean that part could be filled with prosthesis, too, but left blank.
I also got recommended to take action immediately as I could lose length, on this forum.

But then I talked to a guy who was undersized in his first implant by 3cm, and spent a year with it(without gaining anything back). Eventually, Kramer fixed him by upsizing the cylinders back by 3cm. So he never lost length although he was undersized. I mean logically he must have, but a small amount, which I guess was compensated by cycling.

Everybody's right in this discussion, it's just that I haven't made myself clear.

Luther

Postby Luther » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:37 am

For tissue expansion to occur, time is needed. In the following study tissue expansion was only seen in patients that had their implant for 2 years or more:

"Patients who underwent device replacement at <2 years did not experience an increase in mean cylinder length. On the contrary, patients who underwent device replacement at ≥2 years did experience significant increases in mean cylinder length (LGX 1.2 cm, CX 1.1 cm, and Titan 0.9 cm, p<0.001). The mean increases in length at ≥2 years were similar between the 3 devices (p=0.20). Sixty percent of patients demonstrated increases of >0.5 cm and 40% demonstrated increases of ≥1 cm."

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S16 ... ci_arttext
26cm Titan (no RTE), Dr. van Renterghem (Belgium), October 2023.

Return to “Implants”