Pre-Op advice / Post-Op planning

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
joroguy

Pre-Op advice / Post-Op planning

Postby joroguy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 pm

:lol: I have been using this as a terrific resource for quite a while deciding what to do. I just want to say thanks for everyone's time, ideas, sharing and "frankness."

I have my surgery scheduled for the end of March. I have not had any good erections for at least 2-3 years. Between peyronie's and PCa (ADT and radiation) the wind has been out of my sails... or my mast had collapsed LOL PCa is still just fine, but ED got to the point that oral meds, injection, pump (worked okay, but just was uncomfortable) didn't make any penetration possible.

I will have an AMS implant by Dr. Kohler. I looking for your input on a couple of things:

1) I have lost lots of length and girth by lack of real erections. How important is it to prepare before the surgery by using a pump... how long, how often or is it worth it/necessary?

2) I live alone and will not have anyone with me except someone to drive me a long way home (about 4 hours). They said they will take out the cath the morning after the surgery. Any need for emergency items for the long ride home and for the first week? I am about 50 miles R/T from a drug store, clinic, etc. I have loose lounge pants to wear and different boxers, briefs, jock sizes, etc. I also have the refillable ice packs and small gel ones too. Just to be sure, I have some frozen peas at home too. Any recommendations for a tolerable long ride home and first week?

3) Lots of you guys have had pretty mild pain for the most part. It's a long story, but I have a low pain tolerance. I am already on 1000 mg of Rx EC Naproxen for my back pain. I am not a wimp, but I have learned to prepare for the worst - particularly living alone in the rural world. I also have bi-lateral hernia repairs and the mesh may make the reservoir placement just a bit more involved. He won't know till he get in there, but that may add to the discomfort.

I have then normal stuff well covered - meals, etc, but the discomfort, potential urine blockage (I had that happen after a prostate biopsy and needed to go the the ER, foley for a couple of days and then self cath for another day or so) and whatever I am not thinking of is what concerns me.

Dr. Kohler's videos have been helpful. Here's one that provides some info that helped me.
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miA3yhPFTJc
Not sure if I am breaking any rules here, but you can email Dr. Kohler at IPP@Mayo.edu with questions too. He has been good about replying, but asking some questions to a surgeon is never like asking real patients! Thanks again for the frank forum!

4) How in the world do you consistently keep the implant fully inflated for 1-2 hours every day for the first year to avoid forming a capsule that would restrict length/girth. 90-100% inflated for an hour or two. Did you guys really do that each day?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jon
62 YO guy - mild peyronie's, PCa - ADT (off now for 2 years) and proton radiation. In a committed, long-term relationship.
Titan 22 = 1 RTE in Dec 2020

544kenmatt

Re: Pre-Op advice / Post-Op planning

Postby 544kenmatt » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:54 am

Is there any way that you can stay at a hotel close to the hospital for a day or two? The chances of complication are low but with your history, why not minimize your risk by being close by for a couple of days? You also might be in better shape for the long car ride.
Just a thought. It sounds like you have your bases covered for the most part. Good luck to you!!
AMS 700 LGX 10/31/2019. age 63

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:22 pm

1) There is a study most likely in the General forum in the Documents thread about VED stretching prior to implant. I used this for over 2 months prior but others have done this longer. I would add that I did also stretch by pulling my glands straight forward, to each side, and down and up to my belly button. Doctors vary on this but I have not heard of any who say you would hurt anything doing this but I would call your uro to make sure. Stretching prior to surgery in theory make room and allows the doctor to implant longer cylinders.

2) The first couple of days after surgery are important to rest in bed and ice. I had discharge instructions that covered what I needed to do. I would ask your uro about the 4 hour ride after surgery. If he says ok and you can stay reclined for the trip then I see no reason not to just make sure you have all your meds so that when you get home you can spend as much time resting in bed for a few days.

3) Again your doctor should advise you and provide you with pain meds and instructions. My surgery was straight forward and I took nothing but OTC pain meds after my surgery for 5 days until I few back home. Then I took the pain meds my surgeon prescribed. If I was going to ride for 4 hours I would try to find a way to lay as flat as possible and take the pain meds as soon as they permitted and continue with them for the ride home then as needed.

4) What you are describing is stretching with the implant. This should only be done after you are fully healed. IIRC the thread on this was to wait until 3 months post surgery. Prior to that you should have instructions from your doctor as to activation and cycling. This varies from doctor to doctor.

Good luck with this and I would recommend starting a stretching routine as soon as possible as long as your uro has no objections.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Gonesoft

Postby Gonesoft » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:36 pm

I am scheduled with Dr Kohler as well for Feb 21. I was scheduled for mid January but had a pretty bad cold/flu so rescheduled (that and I was still pretty nervous). I am also coming in from 4 hrs away and have lined up a hotel room for a few days. Haven't lined up a ride home yet, but may try to do it myself after laying low and icing for a couple days. Kohler said he thought he'd use the Titan for me. I am equal parts excited and nervous but look forward to what the future may hold!! FT has been a tremendous source of information and has really answered a lot of question. Thanks to all of you who have shared your stories and results!!
52 years old, PC Robotic prostate surgery 12/16, positive margins, 6 wks radiation 6/17. PSA .01 - .03 since. Pills don't work. Injections somewhat. Relationship struggling!

Return to “Implants”