Dr consult tomorrow...

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
LookingUp

Dr consult tomorrow...

Postby LookingUp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Don't you just Love last minute questions???

Being as you all are very knowledgeable on most things Implants, I've a question or two about the LGX and Titan comparison.

First, In emails with Dr. Eid over the last 2 years, I asked: "1. Why coloplast over AMS?" He replied: "I use both. It depends on the length and girth is the penis. Anything longer than 12cm or circumference greater than 13cm will do better with the Coloplast cylinders. Essentially I put what works the best for the patient. "

I am not asking anyone to second guess the esteemed Doctor. I'm asking about your experience. Your length pre and 1 year post op. Cold or Floppy head, etc. with the AMS LGX in particular.

Being as 12cm is approx 4.75" and I'm 5.5" on a rare hard day. I'd expect Dr. Eid to use Titan. My concerns about the Titan is the numerous complaints of Dog Ears, Erect look in clothing, long time to pendulous hang, if ever. "As Perito told me, I don't make soft dicks, I make hard ones." Yes, I've procrastinated for years.

I get the the reason for an implant is a hard erection. I feel there's more to life then standing around with Wood all day. I'm not concerned with losing length or girth. I'd rather not but it not a game stopper. I'm normal length. losing a 1/2 doubt I'll miss it. I'm narrow girth so, any implant will make me wider. Just measured tonight (VED, best I could do) L 5.25" G 5" I'd rather a normal flaccid hang than a 6" erection.

What would you ask Dr. Eid concerning AMS vs coloplast selection? or just shut up and let the Dr. do "what's best at the time"?

Thanks for any input.

Looking Up
ED 26 years. 1995->Pills->Shots->Implant penoscrotal Implanted Feb2021, AMS CX, 18 CM + 3 RTE, penoscrotal, 100cc reservoir. Looking forward to revision with a better Doctor.

Lost Sheep

Re: Dr consult tomorrow...

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:03 pm

Dr. Eid told me the same thing, "It depends on the length and girth". Also, that if Peyronie's Disease requires exceptional straightening, the stiffer Coloplast material can help, even in the flaccid state to do "modeling" to straighten the penis. Except that the length of the penis measured externally is not really the governing factor. It does have some bearing (look up the engineering terms "Beam Strength", "Moment of Inertia", "Cantilever Beam Strength". The width (or depth) of beams or columns has a major effect on its rigidity and the longer the beam or column, the more moment of inertia is required for a given degree of rigidity. So it is with penises, as it is essentially a column or cantilever beam, structurally speaking. The wider Coloplast implants simply have more depth (cross-sectional moment of inertia) than the smaller diameter AMS devices. The material Coloplast uses has more stiffness than the AMS material, too (though this, in my opinion, is not as great a factor, as the hydraulic pressure of the saline inside the implant is the main structural factor in erection rigidity).

Properly sized implants will not have floppy head. Floppy head (or SST Syndrome) is due to the penis head not being as fully supported by the implant as it should be. Normally, in a non-E.D. sufferer, the tunica supports the glans (penis head). In an implanted man, the implant tips support the tunica, which in turn supports the glans. If the implant tips do not extend fully into the tunica, the tunica cannot support the glans. The surgeon is responsible for making sure the implant tips go all the way to where they should be (on both ends, the distal tips and the proximal tips) so as to prop up your erection properly. Kind of like the support that props up automobile hoods (bonnets). If it is too short, the hood is lower (penis shorter and glans not supported) than a proper-length support would have it.

That stiffer material that Coloplast uses (they call it "Bioflex") is responsible for the "dog ears" Bend a water hose sharply and you get dog ears. Bend a cloth sleeve sharply and the effect is far less pronounced. AMS uses a woven material (polyester, brand name is Dacron) that is dimensionally very stable (compare with nylon, which stretches somewhat). Polyester, when not inflated hard, is much more flexible than bioflex, so allows the penis to hang more naturally.

To many men, that more natural flaccid look is important. After all, only a very small percentage of your week will be spent in an erect state. On the other hand, the quality of the erect state is the main reason for having an implant, period. AMS has a slogan, "Hard for the bedroom, soft for the locker room." (or something like that). Dr. Eid is among the surgeons who have a choice of both makers's products. Many surgeons are limited to one or the other, either by bureaucratic limitations or scheduling. (One surgeon I interviewed could use either, but had to make the choice before scheduling surgery because the manufacturer's reps would not be available - with their inventory of devices - on the same day. So the choice had to be made by clinical examination before the surgeon could actually see the condition inside my penis.)

Yes, how you look in clothing will be affected by the existence of the implant. I experienced a discernable difference in outward appearance, but nothing remarkable, so it was not troubling. I usually wore my penis pointed up, so very little changed. I still do. Some men find that they now prefer different underwear than before - and apparently learned that their new underwear would have been a good idea even if they had not had an implant. Men do not spend a lot of time thinking about fit. Heck, even women find that they have been wearing the wrong size brassieres when they visit a high-end clothing store and women spend a lot more thought into their clothes than men do. Having an implant changes a man's approach, sometimes.

Dr. Perito's comment is glib, but I will point out that, while making hard dicks is important, the soft state is also important.

I opine that any acceptance of shortening is anathema. I would have accepted it to have a fully functional erection, but would not be happy about it. There is no medical justification I know of short of scarring that would make shortening of a man's erection acceptable. So, I recommend assiduously measuring whatever erection you are able to achieve by pills, injections, vigorous stimulation (anything except vacuum or tension - simply because they can produce longer-than-natural dimensions). If a surgeon told me to expect to be shorter without a very specific and compelling explanation, I would find another surgeon.

I found, very shortly after surgery, that my erections were fully the same length as (my erections immediately) before the surgery. Alas, I did not measure my girth. I did find my cross-section to be more oval than round as I remember. So, I was wide, but not deep. If memory serves.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:16 pm

Not last minute questions, but here are a few links I found while looking for the one thread I was really looking for. It was entitled something like "What questions do I ask"

these should give anyone considering an implant food for thought

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11700
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9152
viewtopic.php?p=38666
viewtopic.php?p=60730
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

LookingUp

Postby LookingUp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:34 pm

thanks. I got the Questions to Ask and modified it for my visit. Good list of stuff.

I'll review the links while on the flight/airports....

LU
ED 26 years. 1995->Pills->Shots->Implant penoscrotal Implanted Feb2021, AMS CX, 18 CM + 3 RTE, penoscrotal, 100cc reservoir. Looking forward to revision with a better Doctor.

LookingUp

Postby LookingUp » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:58 pm

Just got home. Was supposed to be home Thursday night. A turnaround trip to see Dr. Eid turned into a 3 day trip due to weather up the East Coast and flight cancellations.

My visit was awesome. Dr. Eid is a consummate Professional. Great information from the General Implant down to my specific issues. He answered every question I had for him. Compassionate, calm, low key. Listens well. Over 7,000+ lifetime implants, 3 a day for 9 a week, with 2 office days. 2019 infection rate of 0.56% Has a large collection of AMS and coloplast parts and knows the history and logic behind each part change/improvement. After 34 mins of discussion, he took measurements. Prone - 1. Flaccid stretch and 2. Injected erect with alprostadil, doppler ultrasound at 5, 10 min marks. 3. Standing while injected. Put all three measurements in my chart, along with hand drawing of penis. I'm definitely Venous leakage Right and Venous Blockage on my Left side. 13cm/sec. I have curvature to the right and up. I didn't know about the Up. Seems I was fixated on the wide right and never saw the Up part. Titan recommended.

All measurements matched my own efforts. The whole hour was confirming and directive. Have Orders for the Cardiologist clearance. Follow up with the admin staff for a surgery date. I'm going forward with Dr. Eid with a target of Mid-May. A very stress relieving experience.

I got to NYC early and visited the Bentley Hotel. Nice enough. Lots of street repair/construction noise.

Thanks to all that reached out and all who have posted on this Site.

Looking Up

Return to “Implants”