Cycling- When (esp. if you are working) and how long?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Agfa13

Re: Cycling- When (esp. if you are working) and how long?

Postby Agfa13 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Did Dr. Eid give a reason why the cycling go early? I am wondering what the difference is between waiting a couple weeks, vs a couple days.
Ag, 58, Maryland
Document with BEFORE/after pics
AMS cx 24cm, Titan malleable, Titan Legacy on 3/2/20 (20cm/bilat 2cm RTE/ 75 cc)
Face pic on pg. 22: names and faces; dick pics on pg 7/41: Dick of day
Smaller dick, but can fuck without fail :lol: :D

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:46 pm

Agfa13 wrote:Did Dr. Eid give a reason why the cycling go early? I am wondering what the difference is between waiting a couple weeks, vs a couple days.

This article refers to the differences that early activation (EA) vs no early activation (NEA) of the inflatable prosthesis
Title" Pseudo-capsule “coffin” effect: How to prevent penile retraction after implant of three-piece inflatable prosthesis
Authors: Enrico Caraceni, Lilia Utizi, Giovanni Angelozzi; Department of Urology, Civitanova Marche Hospital, Italy.
Short Summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25017596
Longer summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25017596
with this sentence: "The result is a penis bigger in flaccid state but smaller in erect phase, when early activation is not performed"
Full article: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... prosthesis

This article was obviously translated from the original Italian, so there may be some grammar issues to overlook.

And this thread might be of interest: "Over what timespan does Scar Tissue form post-op? (And can it be reversed)?"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11379&p=97430
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:09 pm

Agfa13 wrote:Did Dr. Eid give a reason why the cycling go early? I am wondering what the difference is between waiting a couple weeks, vs a couple days.
There is this excerpt from Dr Eid's post-op protocol:

During the first three months after the surgery the cylinders must be kept fully deflated in order to maintain the reservoir fully inflated. This will allow scar tissue to form on a full reservoir and prevent auto-inflation later on. This means that the penis will heal over deflated cylinders and scar tissue will form over cylinder folds and curvatures. A long wide penis with deflated cylinders may retract by as much as two inches. If the implant is not inflated[CYCLED] early in the immediate two weeks after the surgery, it may heal in this foreshortened dimension, causing permanent deformity and reduced inflated length.
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

Agfa13

Postby Agfa13 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:38 pm

I copied and pasted the above replies. I will bring this up with Dr. Kramer and Dr. Sklar. I want to hear what they have to say.
Unless someone here, from DC/B'more area, has asked Dr. Kramer about this. Is this a theory, or is this something that was found out after several studies?
Hehehe...just reading Lost Sheep's links, disregard what I said about theory!

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:22 pm

Agfa13 wrote:I copied and pasted the above replies. I will bring this up with Dr. Kramer and Dr. Sklar. I want to hear what they have to say.
Unless someone here, from DC/B'more area, has asked Dr. Kramer about this. Is this a theory, or is this something that was found out after several studies?
Hehehe...just reading Lost Sheep's links, disregard what I said about theory!

There is another Journal article which describes a cohort of men who, after implant, were cycled after two weeks by their surgeon. The men came into the office and inflated as much as they could stand (until they said "stop") and those who could tolerate the discomfort continued to cycle daily thereafter and those who could not came back in another two weeks. Very few men began cycling at the two week point and most took six weeks before they could tolerate cycling their implants.

I cannot find a link to the article. It sheds a lot of light on the validity and advisability of the practice of early cycling.

Dr. Eid seems to think leaving the scar tissue to form around a full reservoir is advisable (to keep scar tissue from restricting the DEflatability of the implant), but also the alternative of inflating the implant as much, as early and as often as possible keeps scar tissue from restricting the INflatability of the implant. He seems to think that, since the implant can be forcibly inflated, newly grown scar tissue around the implant can be stretched/broken up more effectively (by short-lived periodic inflations) than newly formed scar tissue around the reservoir. Those short-lived periodic inflations of the implant do not last long enough to let scar tissue encapsulation of the reservoir form. Best of both worlds.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:04 am

warrenw wrote:
There is this excerpt from Dr Eid's post-op protocol:

During the first three months after the surgery the cylinders must be kept fully deflated in order to maintain the reservoir fully inflated. This will allow scar tissue to form on a full reservoir and prevent auto-inflation later on. This means that the penis will heal over deflated cylinders and scar tissue will form over cylinder folds and curvatures. A long wide penis with deflated cylinders may retract by as much as two inches. If the implant is not inflated[CYCLED] early in the immediate two weeks after the surgery, it may heal in this foreshortened dimension, causing permanent deformity and reduced inflated length.
I went 4 weeks 80-90% inflated, so reservoir was flat all that time. No auto inflate here. I was at my full length at end of 4 weeks. Cycle but not every day now at 21 months. Have gained nothing new.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:48 am

Lost Sheep wrote:There is another Journal article which describes a cohort of men who, after implant, were cycled after two weeks by their surgeon. The men came into the office and inflated as much as they could stand (until they said "stop") and those who could tolerate the discomfort continued to cycle daily thereafter and those who could not came back in another two weeks. Very few men began cycling at the two week point and most took six weeks before they could tolerate cycling their implants.
I cannot find a link to the article. It sheds a lot of light on the validity and advisability of the practice of early cycling.
Dr. Eid seems to think leaving the scar tissue to form around a full reservoir is advisable (to keep scar tissue from restricting the DEflatability of the implant), but also the alternative of inflating the implant as much, as early and as often as possible keeps scar tissue from restricting the INflatability of the implant. He seems to think that, since the implant can be forcibly inflated, newly grown scar tissue around the implant can be stretched/broken up more effectively (by short-lived periodic inflations) than newly formed scar tissue around the reservoir. Those short-lived periodic inflations of the implant do not last long enough to let scar tissue encapsulation of the reservoir form. Best of both worlds.

A lot of good info in that post.
As for encapsulation of implanted materials. I think that is wise to look at the results of breast implant encapsulation. My understanding is that it is not a guaranteed outcome. Not all bodies will build the capsule. Also, my understanding is that for the first few months, women are told to frequently massage the implants to reduce the risk.
Along that line of thinking. The early & frequent cycling protocol makes sense to me. Why would men's bodies react differently to a foreign object than womens?
Perhaps some of our persistent researchers would search on this subject. But be aware that likely most of the research has probably centered around breast implants. All members should think about this. There is so many women with implants that I bet most of us know at least one.
This might need a new thread to get a more accurate subject name.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

SteveH

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 am

I rarely pump mine during the day.... But at night just before sleep I pump up fully 100% and wake up with it still erect
I let it do it's magic while I sleep
AMS LGX 18cm with 3mm rte Feb 2015 - Penis damaged in bike accident August 2007

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:34 am

My doctor (Karpman, west coast) had me inflate 4 times a day for at least 20 minutes each time. I started at one week. He'd left me 70% inflated out of surgery. It was harder to pump at first, and getting into a bath of hot water helped a lot, both reducing pain and making the pump more flexible. While you can't do that at work, warmth of any kind that loosens your sack may help. Perhaps a sweater in your lap or something? And try the hot bath when you're home, once you have your doctor's permission. Others have said that a hot shower or heating pad can help as well, though I never found those as good as a bath.

Someone here said that the inflation/deflation itself is what is needed, not just pumping it up and leaving it there, but others think the opposite. So I don't know whether it's better to cycle often with a shorter period of inflation or less often and leave it up longer. With a good supporter, you might be able to pump it up, tuck the end under the waistband, and go back to work. I can tell you from personal experience that sitting down with a bound, erect dick is painful in the early days after surgery, but it improves. As far as I know, no one knew that I was erect during the times I did it, but I wore a long-tailed shirt and kept it hanging outside to cover the bulge. You might try a combination of quick inflations in the restroom and sometimes leaving it up and "contained".

I ended up with a mix of longer and shorter, sometimes leaving it all night, but usually for at least 20 minutes. I didn't always get the full 4 cycles in that my doctor recommended, but at least twice every day. I gained nearly an inch in length from the day after surgery to a year later, and I'm now about the size I was in my youth.

Hope it all works out great for you and you like your implant as much as I like mine.

Quincy.
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Agfa13

Postby Agfa13 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Ummm...something just occurred to me about all this cycling and Dr. Eid.
Was the incision on your balls, which would make the waiting after 2-4 weeks understandable?
But if it was, forgot the term, above your dick, you could pump after 2 or 3 days.
Ag, 58, Maryland
Document with BEFORE/after pics
AMS cx 24cm, Titan malleable, Titan Legacy on 3/2/20 (20cm/bilat 2cm RTE/ 75 cc)
Face pic on pg. 22: names and faces; dick pics on pg 7/41: Dick of day
Smaller dick, but can fuck without fail :lol: :D

Return to “Implants”