Plea for help

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
oldbeek

Re: Plea for help

Postby oldbeek » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:21 am

Is there a university hospital near you? They may do it pro bono if AMS supply the implant. In my experience with USC in Los Angeles, they charge like hell for foreign customers or when you have gold plated insurance. They do work for indigent people for free. A professor will be there but a student intern may be doing the hands on. I had an operation in 1995 with 7 interns involved. USC is a teaching hospital. My IPP doctor is the go to man for screw ups in the LA area.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Jack317

Postby Jack317 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:39 am

jerseyhulk wrote:My implant busted a week ago. I’m having some pain, most likely where it has blown out inside my penis. I’m a 37 yo college student and have no means to pay out of pocket. The hospital and AMS reps have been ignoring my calls because I’ve been pleading for help and financial assistance. My current insurance will not cover it. My doctor agreed to do the revision for free. AMS would provide the implant under warrantee but the hospital wants all the money upfront. I really need advice because I can’t keep living in pain or risk damaging my penis because of their greed. Should I get a lawyer? Anybody know any insurance company that would cover a revision for a 37 yo. I really need advice.

How much money are they asking for up front? They won’t do any type of payment plan?
Jack
60 yrs old
Pasadena, CA
Radical non nerve sparing (open cut) prostatectomy Dec 2013
Implant date 12.26.19

Agfa13

Postby Agfa13 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 am

Waytho, you beat me to it.
Yes, regardless of the implant, its not an implant you are after, its your health.
BCBS should cover that. The codes being submitted are for an implant, which you are not getting through them!
Have Dr. or hospital resubmit everything for removal of life-threatening piece (after the removal, its up to the Dr from here on out, but don't tell them that, lol)

Its all in the wording...and if anything bad happens that maims you, BCBS is fucked. Their defense would be the exclusion of the implant, but any lawyer will just say this was not an implant, but removal of a foreign object, regardless of how it go in.
Ag, 58, Maryland
Document with BEFORE/after pics
AMS cx 24cm, Titan malleable, Titan Legacy on 3/2/20 (20cm/bilat 2cm RTE/ 75 cc)
Face pic on pg. 22: names and faces; dick pics on pg 7/41: Dick of day
Smaller dick, but can fuck without fail :lol: :D

St1pan2019

Postby St1pan2019 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:07 pm

jerseyhulk wrote:My implant busted a week ago. I’m having some pain, most likely where it has blown out inside my penis. I’m a 37 yo college student and have no means to pay out of pocket. The hospital and AMS reps have been ignoring my calls because I’ve been pleading for help and financial assistance. My current insurance will not cover it. My doctor agreed to do the revision for free. AMS would provide the implant under warrantee but the hospital wants all the money upfront. I really need advice because I can’t keep living in pain or risk damaging my penis because of their greed. Should I get a lawyer? Anybody know any insurance company that would cover a revision for a 37 yo. I really need advice.

Hey Jersey,
Just curious how did the implant break or rupture ? Over pumping , VED use, aggressive sex?
40 yrs old, ED from Scleroderma since 2010, married since 2004, was using VED/rings for sex as injections/pills didn't work, Also on Testosterone injection therapy
Implanted 1/9/2020
Dr. Eid, Titan Touch 20+1cm rte
Reside in Ontario, Canada

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:15 pm

St1pan2019 wrote:

Hey Jersey,
Just curious how did the implant break or rupture ? Over pumping , VED use, aggressive sex

Just an opinion. Despite our popular beliefs. These are a mass produced item & subject to the common manufacturing defects. Granted, I'm sure that some reasonable level of quality control is used. But think for a moment, they aren't like a heart device. Meaning that death or serious injury isn't likely in case of a failure. The offer of a free replacement pretty much solves most complaints. That shifts the cost burden to others in the surgery process. It seems like the surgeons likely follow the manufacturers lead on this. Well at least in the USA. That leaves the hospitals to deal with. All of this falls to the way side when you're in a health system that is willing to tell you that it is "good enough".
My very sincere sympathies go out to the op.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

jerseyhulk

Postby jerseyhulk » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:45 pm

Jack317 wrote:

How much money are they asking for up front? They won’t do any type of payment plan?

No they refuse to do anything without full payment up front. They want around 20k. I just had this done 4 years ago. So I’m looking at 100k every 20 years...bullshit.

jerseyhulk

Postby jerseyhulk » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:53 pm

St1pan2019 wrote:

Hey Jersey,
Just curious how did the implant break or rupture ? Over pumping , VED use, aggressive sex?

I was just cycling the device. I wasn’t even pumped up all the way and then I heard and felt a pop and it felt like an explosion inside my penis! I have never used a VED since being implanted.

jerseyhulk

Postby jerseyhulk » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:00 pm

Gt1956 wrote:
St1pan2019 wrote:

Hey Jersey,
Just curious how did the implant break or rupture ? Over pumping , VED use, aggressive sex

Just an opinion. Despite our popular beliefs. These are a mass produced item & subject to the common manufacturing defects. Granted, I'm sure that some reasonable level of quality control is used. But think for a moment, they aren't like a heart device. Meaning that death or serious injury isn't likely in case of a failure. The offer of a free replacement pretty much solves most complaints. That shifts the cost burden to others in the surgery process. It seems like the surgeons likely follow the manufacturers lead on this. Well at least in the USA. That leaves the hospitals to deal with. All of this falls to the way side when you're in a health system that is willing to tell you that it is "good enough".

I’m sure that a failed implant wouldn’t cause death but the busted implant is rubbing on my inside. So if it does cause permeant injury, I would consider that serious. If this is scarring up my insides or leaves my penis inoperable and useless. Or an infection sets in and they have to start cutting away. I’m sure a lot of men would agree with me that’s a death sentence because I will not live that way.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:13 am

jerseyhulk wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:
St1pan2019 wrote:
Hey Jersey,

I’m sure that a failed implant wouldn’t cause death but the busted implant is rubbing on my inside. So if it does cause permeant injury, I would consider that serious. If this is scarring up my insides or leaves my penis inoperable and useless. Or an infection sets in and they have to start cutting away. I’m sure a lot of men would agree with me that’s a death sentence because I will not live that way.

Sorry Jerseyhulk. My post sounds harsh towards you but It isn't meant to be harsh to you. I was trying to show how the 3 parties to the surgery react to minimize their exposure to losses. By far I think hospitals take the most stringent position. They'll be the hardest to get around in my opinion. Let me throw a few ideas out to you.
Attack the 3 one at a time. The manufacturer will likely be the easiest to get some kind of help from.
Work on the surgeon & see what position he takes. If he'll do it for free or a heavily discounted rate. Ask if he would be willing to perform the surgery at a small out patient surgical center. I'm pretty sure that they are cheaper.
You can try going to the hospital & asking about indigent care. My daughter had some emergency hospital care. The hospital had an office that sorted through the lower income patients & picked some that could be slid over onto Medicaid. Trick was that it had to be done within a few days of the care being given. Even if Medicaid wasn't an option they could write some of it off their taxes as charity care.
I think in another post you mention a cost of $100,000. I'm sure that on paper that cost might of been tossed around. It's a fake number. The insurance companies negotiate huge discounts that they'll never disclose to you. Commonly the cash price is quoted around $18k to $23k. Take out around $8k for the implant & whatever the surgeon fee is. You'll be looking at the hospital costing maybe as low as $8k. Still a huge number but nothing like $100k.
Is there a chance that your school offers a better health insurance than you have currently?
Please don't give up. This won't be easy but it might be more attainable than you think. I wish you the very best of luck. Keep us posted, please.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

jerseyhulk

Postby jerseyhulk » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:22 pm

Gt1956 wrote:
jerseyhulk wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:Just an opinion. Despite our popular beliefs. These are a mass produced item & subject to the common manufacturing defects. Granted, I'm sure that some reasonable level of quality control is used. But think for a moment, they aren't like a heart device. Meaning that death or serious injury isn't likely in case of a failure. The offer of a free replacement pretty much solves most complaints. That shifts the cost burden to others in the surgery process. It seems like the surgeons likely follow the manufacturers lead on this. Well at least in the USA. That leaves the hospitals to deal with. All of this falls to the way side when you're in a health system that is willing to tell you that it is "good enough".

Sorry Jerseyhulk. My post sounds harsh towards you but It isn't meant to be harsh to you. I was trying to show how the 3 parties to the surgery react to minimize their exposure to losses. By far I think hospitals take the most stringent position. They'll be the hardest to get around in my opinion. Let me throw a few ideas out to you.
Attack the 3 one at a time. The manufacturer will likely be the easiest to get some kind of help from.
Work on the surgeon & see what position he takes. If he'll do it for free or a heavily discounted rate. Ask if he would be willing to perform the surgery at a small out patient surgical center. I'm pretty sure that they are cheaper.
You can try going to the hospital & asking about indigent care. My daughter had some emergency hospital care. The hospital had an office that sorted through the lower income patients & picked some that could be slid over onto Medicaid. Trick was that it had to be done within a few days of the care being given. Even if Medicaid wasn't an option they could write some of it off their taxes as charity care.
I think in another post you mention a cost of $100,000. I'm sure that on paper that cost might of been tossed around. It's a fake number. The insurance companies negotiate huge discounts that they'll never disclose to you. Commonly the cash price is quoted around $18k to $23k. Take out around $8k for the implant & whatever the surgeon fee is. You'll be looking at the hospital costing maybe as low as $8k. Still a huge number but nothing like $100k.
Is there a chance that your school offers a better health insurance than you have currently?
Please don't give up. This won't be easy but it might be more attainable than you think. I wish you the very best of luck. Keep us posted, please.

Thanks Gt1956, no offense was taken. I appreciate everyone's input as I don't know of any options at this point. I won't give up, although living with this pain is scary and hindering at times. I don't know how long it will take till I can get it fixed. I won't let this happen to me again next time. I expected a good 8 to 10 years at least out of it, not 4. But next time I will be in a better situation hopefully. I just really hope I can get it fixed soon. This has already started affecting my life physically and I can see problems arising in my relationship. I'm just trying to fight and hang on at this point.

Return to “Implants”