Coloplast Rep at surgery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Biker60

Coloplast Rep at surgery

Postby Biker60 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:11 pm

I was told the coloplast Rep would be at my surgery. It’s that because the rep brings all the sizes that might be needed durning the surgery? Does the rep assist in size selection ?

Thanks 36 hours and counting.

Gt1956

Re: Coloplast Rep at surgery

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:44 pm

Just guessing, probably lots of reasons to be there. Feedback to the company. A witness in case some part gets ruined during surgery. Makes sure that all the paperwork is done correctly. The list probably is very long.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

young_and_impotent

Postby young_and_impotent » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:36 am

My surgeon was asking size questions to the rep like which RTE to use and reservoir etc.

Made me uncomfortable.
28 year old with severe lifelong ED.
Implanted in New Delhi on 26/12/19 with AMS CX (15x12) + 4cm RTE
Post op length 4.5 inches from ~ (5.5 to 6) inches. Disappointed!
Wish to have a revision to LGX some day.

Greg1956

Postby Greg1956 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:33 am

To my understanding the rep has the inventory, not the hospital. I know I ended up with a different size cylinder than what my surgeon thought he would probably use so it makes sense to have a backup supply of various sizes. Also, the rep is a liaison you can use to ask questions. By being present at your surgery he/she is fully knowledgeable about your specific situation.
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

Biker60

Postby Biker60 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:42 am

My thought is their rep brings the devices. Has all sizes end is there as support for the Dr. Does not make be uncomfortable at all. After posing I realized that at my hospital system ortho reps are present at knew and joint replacement procedures.

Agfa13

Postby Agfa13 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:46 am

This is old hat to them, seen one dick, esp. if you have your own, you have seen it all.
Dr. Kramer's scheduler/assistant is female. Had no qualms talking about dick, she even had one of those show and tell diagnosis dicks right behind her.
Even at your job, seeing the same thing every day, you would start to see it as just a job and see things clinically. Discuss things in the 3rd person, objectively, so you treat the problem with a solution, not just a band-aid. Besides, its a product, and they would want to improve things, get feedback, etc...If I got the chance to talk to a rep. I would ask them about the fucking dog ears/kinking from their product and what their engineers are doing about it.
Ag, 58, Maryland
Document with BEFORE/after pics
AMS cx 24cm, Titan malleable, Titan Legacy on 3/2/20 (20cm/bilat 2cm RTE/ 75 cc)
Face pic on pg. 22: names and faces; dick pics on pg 7/41: Dick of day
Smaller dick, but can fuck without fail :lol: :D

GoodWood

Postby GoodWood » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:19 pm

This is super common in any type of surgery that has implanted items (orthopedic joints, pacemakers/defibrillators, spine hardware, vascular grafts). The reps have inventory and are a source of technical expertise regarding the device. They can offer information, and advice, but your surgeon will be the one making the decision and doing the procedure. Reps don’t scrub into procedures, they aren’t credentialed by hospitals and surgical centers to touch patients.
55yo, NYC. ED started at 40. 50 units BiMix + Atropine (Pap 30/Phen 6/Atr 0.2). Prostaglandins caused aching. Doses increasing. A cock ring helps. Phallosan Forte tension devise to maintain size. Eager to talk about implant experiences.

stephen54

Postby stephen54 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:07 am

Medical device exec/consultant here...for what it's worth:

One of the most common reasons the device rep is present is, as others have mentioned, many of the more expensive medical devices are in fact not owned inventory items by the hospital or ambulatory surgery center and certainly not of the physician (there often is no on-hand inventory on the shelf). More expensive devices are typically, overwhelmingly provided on a "consignment" or similar basis (ie, called "trunk stock", meaning, literally, the devices required for a given day's surgeries are sourced and delivered same day to the surgery center by the manufacturer's rep, and invoices for the sale of the device are created in near real time upon implantation). Reps and companies are compensated accordingly. So that's the practical reason.

Reps also want (and need) to have as much face time with docs and affiliated clinical personnel as possible - for relationship building, and to do what they do - SELL - their device in favor of the competitive device. They absolutely CAN and WILL be in operating rooms. Make no mistake. It happens frequently. Less frequently than 3, 5, 10 years ago, but still prevalent. My take on their presence within the actually surgical suite...ostensibly to "provide support" or other information to the surgeon...is this: if you're about to dip under the anesthetic and you've chosen a doctor who needs to rely on the manufacturer's rep for practical guidance, advice, support at the point of surgery...you have unfortunately most likely seriously fucked up and chosen the wrong surgeon. You want the surgeon who does this surgery because they are authentically passionate about this specific surgery, the surgeon who displays (well founded) intense confidence, and the surgeon who has such a depth of experience and volume of (verifiably) highly successful procedures that it becomes comical to think he'd need the advice of a sales rep. This doesn't at all mean to imply that these reps are empty-headed-suits. To the contrary...to have most of those jobs as device reps, you're highly trained, highly capable, and very very sharp.

But they're not a physician and there are just lines I don't want crossed. That's me, my opinion only of course.

I was implanted in November and a stand alone consent form was offered to me in pre-op/prep, outlining the possibility of the Coloplast rep being present. The form required me to agree and consent to their possible presence and everything that might go along with that...or to decline. I declined.

Again, totally just my own highly opinionated self showing here...but this is something I think guys might want to bring up somewhere along the line in talking to their potential surgeon about implantation - what's your relationship with the manufacturer's rep? Where do they fit into your practice? And why? I'd personally be leery of any surgeon telling me "how much" they rely upon the rep (for clinical support/advice). I'd personally run fast opposite direction!
54 yrs. Blessed with highly sexual 52 yr old wife. Pills 10 years, then 9 yrs Trimix. 28 cm Titan Touch XL 2019, Laurence Levine, Rush Univ Med Ctr, Chicago. Implant = nonstop fun. Hypogonadal, so also 10+ years testosterone replacement.

navy6587

Postby navy6587 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:29 pm

My surgeon's Coloplast rep was present for my procedure (11/8/18) at the 'back table' with all the parts of a 3-piece Titan Touch in several sizes depending upon what I measured while asleep. I was not asked whether I objected to/ allowed her presence during pre-op. How she came up with the assortment of parts was beyond my knowledge and all my questions regarding the equipment I put to my surgeon was answered in as ambiguous a manner as possible. When I emailed my OR rep with technical questions regarding my implant, she never answered nor did anyone in Coloplast's hierarchy NOR my surgeon provide the info. One reason of many that I fired him and will never again have an implant revision when mine fails. You will probably read on FT about Coloplast reps who became like 'buddys' to some patients, answering their questions in detail and offering spec sheets for the items installed during their procedures and providing keychains/ other baubles, but the ones around the Richmond, VA area will not talk to you!! No, it's not their job to do that but the lengths that Richmond's local reps went to shun me was monumental! All this after I had a great deal of discussion with Virginia Urology's CEO (Ms. Bridgett A. Booth) who assured me, by return email, that Coloplast promised her their rep would contact me and answer my q's. Showed me just how LITTLE respect the corporation had for the head of the largest urological organization in the greater Richmond area. I have absolutely NO respect for them nor their product!
74; ED at 50. Fired by 1st doc (Szobota - VA Uro) too many q's & contact w/ Coloplast rep. New doc: Ellen (VA Uro) implanted 11/8/18. 22cm Titan + 2cm RTEs; moron docs, product rep, intake/ dischg nurses! NEVER again! L- 6.75"; G- 5.5" oval.

Return to “Implants”