Scared

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Magicmike

Scared

Postby Magicmike » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 am

I am scheduled for surgery January 9th. My surgeon has decided to use the Coloplast Titan because of my peyronies. In the last month are so I have been reading about pump failures. According to my Doctor it's not the pump that is the issue it's the tubing that's cracking. According to him he said that the company that supplies the tubing for Coloplast also supplies tubing for AMS. Any replays is appreciated

LMCatman

Re: Scared

Postby LMCatman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:05 pm

We were all afraid....go for it anyway.....I had 2.5 years of no erections...now on my third Titan.....IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!! Good luck, man!!
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Magicmike

Postby Magicmike » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:22 pm

I'm not afraid of the surgery I'm afraid of all of the Coloplast pump problems

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Magicmike wrote:I am scheduled for surgery January 9th. My surgeon has decided to use the Coloplast Titan because of my peyronies. In the last month are so I have been reading about pump failures. According to my Doctor it's not the pump that is the issue it's the tubing that's cracking. According to him he said that the company that supplies the tubing for Coloplast also supplies tubing for AMS. Any replays is appreciated

One surgeon (I believe it was Dr. Eid, but would have to search my old emails from 2016) told me that AMS makes all the components (tubing, pump, connectors, the device itself and reservoir) in-house. And that Coloplast uses an outside supplier for the tubing. This was when I asked about modes of failure.

If I were you, would ask both manufacturers directly.

In any event, Dr. Eid DID tell me that failure rates between the two makers were similar and therefore not a heavily weighted deciding factor.

About being scared: I researched medical journals, this forum and interviewed several surgeons before my implant. I felt no fear before or after my surgery.

Knowledge is power. The light of knowledge dispels the darkness of fear.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Your source needs to think about what he has told you. I wouldn't be at all surprised if only one manufacturer of tubing supplied both. BUT, I really doubt that it is exactly the SAME tubing. So in my mind your source has muddied the water to your question. He has not done you a service by doing that. In my opinion.
If it was exactly the same tubing. I'm guessing that you would be seeing Coloplast implants with AMS pumps. I don't know about your research but I have not seen pump & implant brands mixed.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Biker60

Postby Biker60 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:24 am

Magicmike wrote:I'm not afraid of the surgery I'm afraid of all of the Coloplast pump problems

I am scheduled 1/2/2020 for a Coloplast Titan. However the Surgeon wants to use the genesis pump instead of the newer one. For the reasons guys are complaining about. I have 90 degree bend from Pd. So titan is the way to go for me. Surgeon gave me the options. Ams or Coloplast.

DroptheMike

Postby DroptheMike » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Biker60 wrote:
However the Surgeon wants to use the genesis pump instead of the newer one

I'm very happy with the genesis pump. No problems and easy to operate. Seems to me the newer, more sophisticated pumps have more issues. Simpler design results in less problems. My doctor, who had an OTR poster right in the examining room, told me the genesis pump was more reliable.
Mike
Married 57 years old. Made the decision to get an implant after several years of unsuccessful attempts using conventional medication which no longer worked. Titan 22cm w/Genesis pump implanted by Dr. Bruce Garber October 2017. Infrapubic approach.

Skier123

Postby Skier123 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:32 pm

My surgeon is recommending the Titan due to my peyronies, but has given me my choice of pump. I am planning on going with the older Genesid model too, due to it being (1) smaller, (2) simpler, and (3) recommended by both Kramer and several members of this board. I am hoping simpler = less prone to failure ...

Any dissenting opinions out there? :?:
54 yr old single guy
Severe ED for over10 years; diagnosed with peyrones and venous leak
Implanted 12/23/19, Dr. Laurence Levine
Coloplast Titan w/ Genesis pump

maxxxxx

Postby maxxxxx » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Titan failures are not due to the type of pump ( Genesis/ otr / touch) but to the connection tubes and those are the same for all. If you have genesis pump than Touch pump, It does not change anything.
Some doctors (Kramer) prefer Genesis pump for its ease of use and less risk that deflation valve becoming blocked.
But the failures (the infamous 'flat pump' ) it's due to the weakness of the tubes...the liquid is dispersed on the scrotum and the pump becomes flat since there is no more liquid.
Last edited by maxxxxx on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan 24cm . December 2015

Magicmike

Postby Magicmike » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:38 pm

I agree max I talked to Coloplast yesterday and they say that they are not aware of the problem. I have surgery scheduled for January 9th and I'm thinking about canceling until they fix the problem. Any suggestions

Return to “Implants”